Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7041 Ignoramus7041 is offline

Default Pictures of the Wells-Index mill

On 2009-08-30, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus17616 wrote:

This is a much more substantial mill than I imagined. I brought it
home this morning (was an easy 7 mile ride) and will install an
electronic drive tomorrow.

It also has a variable speed drive mechanism.

I can't gage the size of the thing but only you know your needs. We have a few
bridgeports where I work. One is a bit of a monster, it has box ways on the column and a
much wider and longer table. The knee takes twice as many turns to raise it which gets to
be a pita. With the longer table, I have to move from one handle to the other for x and
y. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice machine but for little stuff I tend to work on, I use
the smaller bridgeport every time.

It is sorta like lathes. I really have no use for a lathe that can turn 22" between 10'
centers. My 14x30 is just fine for me. Well, maybe 14x36 would be a bit nicer

My BP is the most frequently used machine by far, compared to any
other one that I own. Most of the work I do is light duty stuff
related to machinery repair.

As for that big BP (is that a Series I or II?), see if the owner would
consider a power feed on the knee. It would be a real
improvement. Times are tough, and all, but that power feed is a real
effort saver, I got to tell you.

I would also have no need for a bigger lathe, as well.