Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default is the 125 cu ft tank I bought a "CUSTOMER-OWNED" argon? (good clearpix)

least I -think- it's a 125 cubic foot CUSTOMER-OWNED model, anyway. it
came with an ol' miller spoolmate/spoolmatic setup, and a 'harbor
fright' tubing bender (2.5 hoursaway one-way/had to buy it all to get
the tank)

good clear and HUGE images posted, of the tank, and ALL the numbers and
markings on it:

http://machines.2x.nu/argon_cylinder/
argon_cylinder

take a look at it & let me know what you think, welding tank guys :-)

*thanks*

toolie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dave wrote in news:2hgkm.69332$sC1.13813
@newsfe17.iad:

least I -think- it's a 125 cubic foot CUSTOMER-OWNED model, anyway. it
came with an ol' miller spoolmate/spoolmatic setup, and a 'harbor
fright' tubing bender (2.5 hoursaway one-way/had to buy it all to get
the tank)

Looks like it's an owned bottle. No lettering around the neck ring that
would indicate it belongs to a gas company. A question comes to mind
though. If you had to go that far to get a used bottle, can you find
someone willing to fill it locally?

Anyway, get it filled before June next year or you will be in the hook for
the hydrotest fee.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dave" wrote in message
least I -think- it's a 125 cubic foot CUSTOMER-OWNED model, anyway. it
came with an ol' miller spoolmate/spoolmatic setup, and a 'harbor fright'
tubing bender (2.5 hoursaway one-way/had to buy it all to get the tank)

good clear and HUGE images posted, of the tank, and ALL the numbers and
markings on it:

http://machines.2x.nu/argon_cylinder/
argon_cylinder

take a look at it & let me know what you think, welding tank guys :-)

*thanks*

toolie

I would say it is an owner tank, because the area where the owner's logo
would be cast is empty.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:

least I -think- it's a 125 cubic foot CUSTOMER-OWNED model, anyway. it
came with an ol' miller spoolmate/spoolmatic setup, and a 'harbor
fright' tubing bender (2.5 hoursaway one-way/had to buy it all to get
the tank)

Looks like it's an owned bottle. No lettering around the neck ring that
would indicate it belongs to a gas company. A question comes to mind
though. If you had to go that far to get a used bottle, can you find
someone willing to fill it locally?

Anyway, get it filled before June next year or you will be in the hook for
the hydrotest fee.

Correct..Dave is the new owner.

Btw..I just picked up 3 used bottles that had the name of a now defunct
welding supplier on it. I brought em into my favorite welding
distributor (Sims-Orange..Santa Ana, California), they looked through
the book, didnt find the name, and swapped me 3 unmarked bottles
straight across, plus the $25 hydrotest charge. They came filled...G
and they told me they would charge me for the next refill. Crom but I
love that place. (2) 275 cf Argons, and (1) 275 cf O2....and the
hydrotest was just done on all 3 of them....VBG!!
Oh..I got em for free....... Very very big grin!!!

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

dave wrote in news:2hgkm.69332$sC1.13813
:

least I -think- it's a 125 cubic foot CUSTOMER-OWNED model, anyway. it
came with an ol' miller spoolmate/spoolmatic setup, and a 'harbor
fright' tubing bender (2.5 hoursaway one-way/had to buy it all to get
the tank)

Looks like it's an owned bottle. No lettering around the neck ring that
would indicate it belongs to a gas company. A question comes to mind
though. If you had to go that far to get a used bottle, can you find
someone willing to fill it locally?

Anyway, get it filled before June next year or you will be in the hook for
the hydrotest fee.

Correct..Dave is the new owner.

me three.

Btw..I just picked up 3 used bottles that had the name of a now defunct
welding supplier on it. I brought em into my favorite welding
distributor (Sims-Orange..Santa Ana, California), they looked through
the book, didnt find the name, and swapped me 3 unmarked bottles
straight across, plus the $25 hydrotest charge. They came filled...G
and they told me they would charge me for the next refill. Crom but I
love that place. (2) 275 cf Argons, and (1) 275 cf O2....and the
hydrotest was just done on all 3 of them....VBG!!
Oh..I got em for free....... Very very big grin!!!

I hate you!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

See the thick ring near the threads - a collar of sorts? That means
a customer owned qualified bottle. Not a lease.

So you are likely ok. Also better pictures of the height with something
to compare to or yardstick...

It might be from a company that went under and is no longer working.
Even better...

Martin

dave wrote:
least I -think- it's a 125 cubic foot CUSTOMER-OWNED model, anyway. it
came with an ol' miller spoolmate/spoolmatic setup, and a 'harbor
fright' tubing bender (2.5 hoursaway one-way/had to buy it all to get
the tank)

good clear and HUGE images posted, of the tank, and ALL the numbers and
markings on it:

http://machines.2x.nu/argon_cylinder/
argon_cylinder

take a look at it & let me know what you think, welding tank guys :-)

*thanks*

toolie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

okey-dokey, guys, thanks.

did a bit more research just now. according to my read of a welding
forum thread posted he
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=29891

and my reading of the airco-published "owner tanks" pdf (linked to in
the thread above, also pasted just below - a very long address)

http://www.weldingweb.com/attachment...7&d=1240486851

my tank (pictured on my argon tank site) is (what I'm gonna call a)
'plus star' tank. airco's pdf tells me my 'plus star' stamped tank was
born june '05, and it's due again for hydrotest (per what the pdf tells
me, anyway) TEN years from the date of manufacture, that being 2015
(because of the star stamped into my tank).

regarding hydro retest date: unless charles U, who said "get it filled
before June next year or you will be in the hook for the hydrotest fee"
knows more about tanks than the airco company ? and I'm not saying he
doesn't ? it seems to me (per airco's pdf, and their star mention, in
their diagram) "I'm good till june 2015, hydrotest-wise"

so, hmmm, perplexing...this "welding tank voodoo-hex numbers" stuff

the same airco pdf (seems to) tells me the (the plus symbol) indicates
the tank's good for a ten percent overfill...

martin: the EXACT height (and other dimensions) of my argon tank's
posted, in one of my 'argon tank' site images, he
http://machines.2x.nu/argon_cylinder...s/photo10.html

okey-dokes, thanks again you guys :-)

toolie :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:43:09 -0400, dave
wrote:

martin: the EXACT height (and other dimensions) of my argon tank's
posted, in one of my 'argon tank' site images, he
http://machines.2x.nu/argon_cylinder...s/photo10.html

okey-dokes, thanks again you guys :-)

toolie :-)

Thats one of the "standard sizes". 227 CF as I recall. You are
lucky..those are typically rental bottles G so you got a reasonable
sized bottle you wont have to refill all that often

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

Re the hydro test. If you exchange the tank, then they should handle the
hydro's on the exchange tanks. My Argon tank is not the same tank I
purchased. I take it in, and they give me a full tank in exchange.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dave wrote in
:

okey-dokey, guys, thanks.

snip
regarding hydro retest date: unless charles U, who said "get it filled
before June next year or you will be in the hook for the hydrotest
fee" knows more about tanks than the airco company ? and I'm not
saying he doesn't ? it seems to me (per airco's pdf, and their star
mention, in their diagram) "I'm good till june 2015, hydrotest-wise"

I was going by what the RCM resident welding expert Ernie says on this
topic.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Welding-3...stamp.htm?rd=1

A literal interpretation of the law (pasted below) and paraphrased he
"five-point star"..."immediately following the test date" could be taken
to mean the plus then star on your tank doesn't meet the immediately
following requirement. Conversely there doesn't seem to be an alternate
meaning for a star following a plus so taking the wording that literally
would be incorrect IMHO. You should be good to 10 years, I think.

Either way it doesn't much matter when it needs testing, it's still
fairly new and a heck of a lot better deal than being stuck with a lease
cylinder for low volume home use. I worked out a 3 year payback on my
little CO2 and 4 years on a medium argon cylinder I own vs. leasing. I
Haven't needed to fill either of them in that time frame either so I'm
welding for free until they're empty.

§ 173.34 Qualification, maintenance and use of cylinders.

(16) DOT-3A or 3AA cylinders. (i) A cylinder made in conformance with
specification DOT-3A or 3AA with a water capacity of 125 pounds or less
that is removed from any cluster, bank, group, rack or vehicle each time
it is filled, may be retested every ten years instead of every five
years, provided the cylinder complies with all of the following --

(A) The cylinder was manufactured after December 31, 1945;

(B) The cylinder is used exclusively for air, argon, cyclopropane,
ethylene, helium, hydrogen, krypton, neon, nitrogen, nitrous oxide,
oxygen, sulfur hexafluoride, xenon, permitted mixtures of these gases
(see § 173.301(a)) and permitted mixtures of these gases with up to 30
percent by volume of carbon dioxide, provided that the gas has a dew
point at or below minus 52 °F at 1 atmosphere;

(C) Before each refill, the cylinder passes the hammer test specified in
CGA Pamphlet C-6;

(D) The cylinder is dried immediately after hydrostatic testing to
remove all traces of free water;

(E) The cylinder is not used for underwater breathing; and

(F) Each cylinder is stamped with a five-point star at least one-fourth
of an inch high immediately following the test date.

(ii) If, since the last required hydrostatic retest, a cylinder has not
been used exclusively as specified in paragraph (e)(16)(i)(B) of this
section, but currently conforms with all other provisions of paragraph
(e)(16)(i) of this section, it may be retested every 10 years instead of
every five years, provided it is first retested and examined as
prescribed by § 173.302(c)(2), (3) and (4).

(iii) Except as specified in paragraph (e)(16)(ii) of this section, if a
cylinder marked with a star is charged with a compressed gas other than
as specified in this paragraph (e)(16), the star following the most
recent test date must be obliterated. The cylinder must be retested five
years from the marked retest date, or prior to the first charging with a
compressed gas, if the required five-year retest period has passed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Charles U Farley wrote:
A literal interpretation of the law (pasted below)

§ 173.34 Qualification, maintenance and use of cylinders.

Do you have a link to the quoted law? It'd be good to have for future
reference.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote in
:

Charles U Farley wrote:
A literal interpretation of the law (pasted below)

§ 173.34 Qualification, maintenance and use of cylinders.

Do you have a link to the quoted law? It'd be good to have for future
reference.

Thanks,
Bob

Looks like this section was ammended a few years ago and moved to 180.209

You can go here : http://www.gpoaccess.gov/cfr/index.html and search by
the number "49CFR180.209" Include the quotes when you type it.

Here's a direct link: http://frwebgate5.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/PDFgate.cgi?
WAISdocID=34617333467+41+2+0&WAISaction=retrieve

Or go here and browse: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfr-table-
search.html#page1
Title 49 (transportation) down at the bottom is where to start.