Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default (Way OT) 50 secrets

Winston wrote:

I would be, except for the discouraging habit the
hooks have, of releasing themselves from the board
at the most inconvenient time! Tore out my last
piece of pegboard in disgust.

You needed better hooks. Some are a real pain to remove, because
they fit so tight.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
(...)

The first thing I would try is 20 pounds of San Marano Tomatoes. I
can't find them or the seeds in Central Florida. I have only seen a few
cans, now & then. I used to grow them up north and used them for Chili,
Spaghetti and Pasta. Slice off the ends, cut them in quarters, and cook
them with the skins. The skins float off when they are cooked.

Are these them?
http://store.tomatofest.com/San_Marzano_p/tf-0443.htm

3 bucks for a packet of seeds.
Could be a bargain!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 20 Jul 2009 02:43:08 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2009-07-19, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On 19 Jul 2009 02:56:04 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

Then the store shuffled their arrangement -- several times. We
used to have a find-me table which they gave out after they absorbed the
business beside the grocery store and expanded into it. For a while
*nobody* could find anything. They're currently doing a major shuffle
again, so I hope that they start offering such a guide again.

Homey's Despot is the only store I've ever seen with an aisle list.

I think The Shuffle is a way stores force people into doing a whole
lot more impulse buying.

Precisely. I know someone whose job is to go from store to
store doing the shuffle -- for precisely that reason. It brings in
enough extra income for the stores to pay for the shufflers.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Just like the dairy case is farthest from the entrance so the person
who goes in to get milk is exposed to the whole line of merchandise.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:48:04 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
How about a transporter system which brought the items up to you in
the front of the store at the insta-cashier, or beamed you and your
cart to the item you wished to purchase, Scotty?

Add the replicator option, and you don't even need inventory.

Just flashed back to episode 114 of "Lost In Space" where
a plant duplicated objects except for the *inside* of the
object.

Prescient foretelling of Harbor Freight, wot?

Thou doth protest too much, Sir Winnie. Fess up: How many HF tools ya
got?

I'm stocked up on them, at least 100. Nearly all are quite
satisfactory, some outstanding. I use their small squares, tape
measures, saw blades, ergonomic box knife holder, razor blades, quick
clamps, tiedowns, rope, gloves, fiberglass-handeled shovels, etc. on a
daily basis with very few complaints.

Of all these, the razor blades are probably the least satisfactory,
but I have some diamond hones which touch them up in a hurry, so it's
no biggie.

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques observed:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:48:04 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

Prescient foretelling of Harbor Freight, wot?

Thou doth protest too much, Sir Winnie. Fess up: How many HF tools ya
got?

Many! Mr. Hydraulic Cart is almost all HF or HF - lookalike stuff.

Don't get cranky on me. I was making small joke.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default (Way OT) Tomatoes! Was: 50 secrets

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
(...)

I talked to my dad in Ohio today. He is going to look around and see
if he can still find them, up there where we raised them in the family
garden.

Also cherries and beefsteaks? Yum!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
(...)

I talked to my dad in Ohio today. He is going to look around and see
if he can still find them, up there where we raised them in the family
garden.

Also cherries and beefsteaks? Yum!

I can find them cheaper than I can grow them, but they don't have the
right flavor for my chili.

There are at least 30 produce dealers at the closest flea market that
grow acres of them and bring them in, fresh picked.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting article re the 600 Group (Clausing, etc.)

Hey Ed,

Maybe you know guys already know about this, but just in case, it is
an interesting little article from CTE news. Goes against what I
personally have understood, which was that if you used your own good
"QC" right at the manufacturing site in China, you got good product.
Guess I'm wrong again.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

28-Jul-09 3:00 AM AWST

600 Group drops China sourcing

Machine tool manufacturer 600 Group has pulled back from outsourcing
production to China because of the poor levels of quality and
consequent warranty claims.

Quality problems have led 600 Group to drop its stategy of sourcing
from China Releasing details of its recent significant restructuring
and new product supply arrangements CEO David Norman said: “At the
time of my appointment in August, it was clear that both the cost
infrastructure of the Group and the machine tools’ supply chain were
in need of urgent attention. Considerable action has subsequently been
taken and continues to be required to effect transformational change
within the Group’s operations, whilst concurrently taking additional
defensive actions in light of depressed market conditions.”

He added that the company has also moved to a simpler business model
which supports its commitment to manufacturing and supplying high
quality customer focused products.

Previously a significant feature of the Group’s strategy was the
outsourcing of a large part of production and supply from China.
Regrettably, says the company, the levels of quality originally
envisaged were not achieved and, despite a major effort by the
engineering and quality teams, the result was an unacceptable level of
warranty claims. Mr Normal says that under these circumstances the
supply chain was re-engineered and new outsourcing arrangements were
put in place, resulting in a return to historic levels of product
quality.

The company is also making significant investments in the manufacture
of workholding equipment and machine components at is machine shop in
Heckmondwike, which is now one of the largest of its kind in the UK.
This focus on the development of the Group’s UK manufacturing base is
likely to continue.

The Group is moving to a simpler business model eliminating
duplication and ensuring more consistency for customers. Product
sourcing is now under the control of a single product management team,
working on behalf of the entire Group. Sales and marketing effort will
now be directed towards 600 Group brands, including
Colchester-Harrison, Electrox, Pratt Burnerd and Gamet Bearings. The
Group will continue to sell a limited number of other products
complementary to these core ranges.

Mr Norman concluded: “Major restructuring and significant cost
reductions have been necessary to ensure that 600 Group is in the
right shape to weather the current market and has a strong platform
from which to grow the business.

“We will increasingly be going to market as a group rather than a
collection of companies. Central product management will control the
Group’s marketing strategy to achieve maximum leverage of Group
brands. The associated sales volume benefits will drive our
outsourcing arrangements in addition to strengthening our
manufacturing base in our three UK locations, Heckmondwike, West
Yorkshire, Colchester, Essex and Letchworth, Hertfordshire.

“There is still a great deal of work to do but I believe that the
Group will soon be in a position to take advantage of any recovery as
well as opportunities which may arise from the global downturn.”
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
Hey Ed,

Maybe you know guys already know about this, but just in case, it is
an interesting little article from CTE news. Goes against what I
personally have understood, which was that if you used your own good
"QC" right at the manufacturing site in China, you got good product.
Guess I'm wrong again.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

28-Jul-09 3:00 AM AWST

600 Group drops China sourcing

Machine tool manufacturer 600 Group has pulled back from outsourcing
production to China because of the poor levels of quality and
consequent warranty claims.

snip

Interesting. I hear anecdotal things about this from people I still talk to
in manufacturing, but I haven't seen any numbers on it since I was writing
about trade with China. It would be worth checking it out.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 01:42:08 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Interesting. I hear anecdotal things about this from people I still talk to
in manufacturing, but I haven't seen any numbers on it since I was writing
about trade with China. It would be worth checking it out.

I have a friend who has hobby products made to his design in China.
His comment is that he pays about 3c extra on a $5 cost to have a full
quality check, such that he offers a full one year, no questions
asked, exchange warranty on all his products. As a personal
example, one of his units died due to a dead short failure in a down
line component not of his manufacture, he immediately replaced it even
though I did not expect it, I showed it to him so that the next
version (V3) can be made more idiot proof. V1 was DC input, he had a
few returns from people who could not differentiate between positive &
negative or that a 12V does not really like 24V. V2 operates on AC or
DC, 9V to (I think) 36V. The next upgrade will be even better.

He says that Chinese manufacturers will build to whatever quality
level you specify. Specify low quality you get rubbish, specify
higher quality levels then you get what you pay for. He often
requires modifications to test samples to get the top quality he
requires.

Alan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wind Power

Don Foreman wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 18:35:23 -0400, Wes wrote:

cavelamb wrote:

I can't address wind power ashore, but I'm very much in favor of it
afloat!

Currently reading Nevile Shute's "Trustee from the Toolroom", have you ever read it?

Wes

I keep looking for it in used bookstores but no luck so far.

171 copies available through ABE Books.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=Shute%2C+Nevil&tn=Trustee+from+th e+Toolroom&x=75&y=16

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Neat machining spaces on the USS New Jersey

HI Guys

I thought this was kind of interesting! I knew that each ship had a
machine shop but never had seen one. I guess the machines are there
to stay once the ship is built!

http://www.ussnewjersey.com/rect_37-1.htm

Kelly T

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hey guys,

I got an email (above) from Kelly T. of the Estevan Model Engineering,
and there is some neat stuff. Not sure the Bridgeport and read-outs
would have been "original equipment", but all-in-all a lot of good
stuff. What can YOU identify?

I think I can ID most of it, but the 10th pix on the website shows a
decent sized CLARK pedestal grinder (not CLARKE as Google insists!).

It has no wheels installed which makes it a bit tougher, but I can't
figure out what the "apparatus" on the left side of it is. Anybody
got a clue?

It looks like there should be a longish belt that would drive from the
spindle to what appears to be a blower (dust collector??) at the base,
but how come on one side only?

What's with the "bowl shape" where the work would take place? Does it
pivot to make radius grinds maybe? Help me out here!!

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps.....and what is that "plate" hanging on the wall behind it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:28:55 -0400, the infamous Brian Lawson
scrawled the following:

HI Guys

I thought this was kind of interesting! I knew that each ship had a
machine shop but never had seen one. I guess the machines are there
to stay once the ship is built!

http://www.ussnewjersey.com/rect_37-1.htm

Kelly T

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hey guys,

I got an email (above) from Kelly T. of the Estevan Model Engineering,
and there is some neat stuff. Not sure the Bridgeport and read-outs
would have been "original equipment", but all-in-all a lot of good
stuff. What can YOU identify?

Is this lathe to turn repaired prop shafts? Bigass muthuh!
http://www.ussnewjersey.com/images/rect37-02.jpg 36" throw?

Man, would ya look at the size of that roll of TP on the lathe he
http://www.ussnewjersey.com/images/rect37-08.jpg

--
No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up.
--Lily Tomlin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Interesting indeed.
Next time you get a chance to tour a WWII submarine, look for the lathe.
Most seem to be on the starboard wall, just ahead of the aft hatch
9" SB seems to be common IIRC.

Brian Lawson wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Interesting indeed.
Next time you get a chance to tour a WWII submarine, look for the lathe.
Most seem to be on the starboard wall, just ahead of the aft hatch
9" SB seems to be common IIRC.

My 10L SB was built for the Navy in 1945. It has a special, heavy-duty base
that doesn't appear in the 1945 SB catalog, but otherwise it's the same. My
understanding is that the spindles on machines built for the War Board were
superfinished, but I've never tried to compare mine with standard ones.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default (Way OT) Tooth Stuff. Was: Wind Power

Bacteria oxide? Would that be B.O.?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Winston" wrote in message

Your dentist hopes that you will never discover:

So what does H2O2 ttaste like? Inquiring minds want to
know.

Yup. The oxygen bubbles produce that sensation.
Three times a day.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Weekly?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message ...
Not one issue, for several years.

It's one of the 50 secrets I learned, almost too late.

When will we see copies of Winnie's Winning Wecipes, sir?

Stick this in your wind power pipe and smoke it. dpb Home Repair 0 April 14th 09 08:27 PM
Wind power plant [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 April 17th 08 06:45 PM
Third World Wind Power Gadget Inspector UK diy 4 October 28th 07 12:26 AM
Wind Power (OT) John UK diy 226 March 25th 07 10:52 PM
DIY roof mount wind power? anyone? Jim UK diy 65 November 25th 05 09:16 AM