Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default (Way OT) Tooth Stuff. Was: Wind Power

In article ,
Winston wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Winston wrote:

(...)

Your dentist hopes that you will never discover:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

Search for:
"Effect of hydrogen peroxide on developing plaque and gingivitis in man."
1: J Clin Periodontol. 1979 Apr;6(2):115-30.

Also search for "The comparative efficacy of stabilized stannous
fluoride dentifrice, peroxide/baking soda dentifrice and essential oil
mouthrinse for the prevention of gingivitis." at the same site.

I searched for more articles on "hydrogen peroxide gingivitis", and a
lot of studies came up, many saying the H2O2 didn't work all that much
better than anything else. The most interesting article was the one
whose title is mentioned above.

The 'comparative efficacy' article didn't mention the concentration of
H2O2 made available inside the sulcus. It's listed as the 11th ingredient
down in a list
of 15 ingredients, with water being listed in the number 3 slot:
http://whatsinproducts.com/informati...PSESSID=e02a1f
ae47a1413bda6e73e09454bc7d

Sounds to me as if it is a 'gimmick' ingredient, included at a
molecular ratio just to say that some is in the tube.

I've got no argument with the efficacy of stannous fluoride.
That's the reason why I have had such good results with a combination
of brushing with fluoride toothpaste, flossing and rinsing with
an H2O2 solution.

Note that the study did not include a comparison of that
combination of tools and techniques.

It's a little disingenuous to say 'they tested "A" compared with
"J" so therefore "B" is not any more effective than "A".

These are just summaries of the full articles, which will say exactly
what was used. Nor will the H2Os used be all that strong. The real
point is that if H2O2 were so much more effective than anything
complicated, some academic would have told us by now.

There is no harm in the H2O2 rinse, and if it works for you don't stop.
But you can also use the high-floride toothpaste mentioned in the
article.

One odd side effect of my heart surgery was a dramatic reduction in
tartar buildup, due to the heavy duty antibiotics were used before
surgery. The effect is well known it turned out, but those antibiotics
are far too powerful to use for teeth.

The holy grail is something effective and yet safe enough for
unsupervised populations to use. It will be a billion-dollar discovery.
How's that for incentive?

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default (Way OT) 50 secrets

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 09:41:33 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:22:03 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

It's one of the 50 secrets I learned, almost too late.

When will we see copies of Winnie's Winning Wecipes, sir?

Let's open that up for everybody! This's what I can remember
off the top of my head. What can y'all add to this?

I see some interesting ideas. What happens with the foam tool outline
when you have 4,000 tools and boxes/drawers enough for only 2,500
outlines?

Keeping a list of to-buy/don't-buy is a great idea. I'm happy with
most generics (drugs and food items) but hate a few stores' brands.

Let me briefly add:

1) Never buy the cheapest item in any brand's line. Buy an
intermediate item with a few more bells and you likely won't have any
broken whistles to contend with. Generally, never buy the very top of
the line, either. They have bells and whistles which don't do a damned
thing except increase the bank accounts of the mfgrs. The intermediate
products generally give you the best value and longevity.

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
(...)

These are just summaries of the full articles, which will say exactly
what was used. Nor will the H2Os used be all that strong. The real
point is that if H2O2 were so much more effective than anything
complicated, some academic would have told us by now.

That message came through loud and clear in the first article. I grok.

There is no harm in the H2O2 rinse, and if it works for you don't stop.
But you can also use the high-floride toothpaste mentioned in the
article.

Yup. There is no single 'magic bullet' for dental care (or
anything else that I know of). It takes a combination of
tools and techniques to do the job correctly.
We are in violent agreement.

One odd side effect of my heart surgery was a dramatic reduction in
tartar buildup, due to the heavy duty antibiotics were used before
surgery. The effect is well known it turned out, but those antibiotics
are far too powerful to use for teeth.

The holy grail is something effective and yet safe enough for
unsupervised populations to use. It will be a billion-dollar discovery.
How's that for incentive?

Pretty good, Joe.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques gifted Humanity with:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:22:03 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

It's one of the 50 secrets I learned, almost too late.
When will we see copies of Winnie's Winning Wecipes, sir?

Let's open that up for everybody! This's what I can remember
off the top of my head. What can y'all add to this?

I see some interesting ideas. What happens with the foam tool outline
when you have 4,000 tools and boxes/drawers enough for only 2,500
outlines?

The tools that you use very occasionally can go into less
convenient (compact) storage. Your 2000 most - used tools
get sorted into foam for instant access and trackability,
ordered by decreasing frequency - of - use. Simpatico, no?

Ferinstance my top level tray contains:
Needlenose pliers
Side cutting pliers
Steel measuring tape
Solder Sucker
Wire Strippers
C Wrench
Small Phillips and straight blade screwdrivers

The drawer under that tray holds a couple DMMs, a
couple multiple - blade screwdriver sets and other tools
that are nice to keep close but don't get used on a
minute - by - minute basis.

Keeping a list of to-buy/don't-buy is a great idea. I'm happy with
most generics (drugs and food items) but hate a few stores' brands.

When composing a shopping list, the reminders prevent me from repeating
a past mistake. I like that and so does SWMBO.

Let me briefly add:

1) Never buy the cheapest item in any brand's line. Buy an
intermediate item with a few more bells and you likely won't have any
broken whistles to contend with. Generally, never buy the very top of
the line, either. They have bells and whistles which don't do a damned
thing except increase the bank accounts of the mfgrs. The intermediate
products generally give you the best value and longevity.

As a general rule, yes.

There are always exceptions, like the extremely cheap
transistor radios I turned into signal tracers, for example.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 17:31:49 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:22:03 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:
(...)

It's one of the 50 secrets I learned, almost too late.
When will we see copies of Winnie's Winning Wecipes, sir?
Let's open that up for everybody! This's what I can remember
off the top of my head. What can y'all add to this?

I see some interesting ideas. What happens with the foam tool outline
when you have 4,000 tools and boxes/drawers enough for only 2,500
outlines?

The tools that you use very occasionally can go into less
convenient (compact) storage. Your 2000 most - used tools
get sorted into foam for instant access and trackability,
ordered by decreasing frequency - of - use. Simpatico, no?

That's much more easily said than done.
Ferinstance my top level tray contains:
Needlenose pliers
Side cutting pliers
Steel measuring tape
Solder Sucker
Wire Strippers
C Wrench
Small Phillips and straight blade screwdrivers

The drawer under that tray holds a couple DMMs, a
couple multiple - blade screwdriver sets and other tools
that are nice to keep close but don't get used on a
minute - by - minute basis.

I keep the 500 most-used tools in my truck with me. As to the shop, I
finished the roof on the pumphouse and can now install the shelving.
Brackets are already up, so that won't take long. Hell, by Christmas,
I should have some of the crap out of the shop so I can view a real
sq. _foot_ of floorspace again. Only then can I figure out what shop
tools to keep where, and how.

Keeping a list of to-buy/don't-buy is a great idea. I'm happy with
most generics (drugs and food items) but hate a few stores' brands.

When composing a shopping list, the reminders prevent me from repeating
a past mistake. I like that and so does SWMBO.

So how often do you and/or SWMBO refer to that list?

Let me briefly add:

1) Never buy the cheapest item in any brand's line. Buy an
intermediate item with a few more bells and you likely won't have any
broken whistles to contend with. Generally, never buy the very top of
the line, either. They have bells and whistles which don't do a damned
thing except increase the bank accounts of the mfgrs. The intermediate
products generally give you the best value and longevity.

As a general rule, yes.

There are always exceptions, like the extremely cheap
transistor radios I turned into signal tracers, for example.

Everything in moderation, including moderation. --anon

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
-- Johann K. Lavater

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wind Power

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:06:12 -0500, RBnDFW wrote:

wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:09:59 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I should also mention I'm located on a ridge, the highest ground till you
get to the above mentioned wind farm area.

Karl

Still, don't assume anything about wind speed. A small difference in
average speed or consistency equals a much bigger difference in
production. In our area, everybody loves to bitch about the wind. Some
people move away because they can't stand the blowing. It seems
omnipresent until you put up a turbine. :-)

Reminds me of the year I bought my first sailboat.
"The Windless summer"

Seems we bought our boats the same years......sigh

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques writes:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 17:31:49 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

The tools that you use very occasionally can go into less
convenient (compact) storage. Your 2000 most - used tools
get sorted into foam for instant access and trackability,
ordered by decreasing frequency - of - use. Simpatico, no?

That's much more easily said than done.

Cost me 15 minutes per tray.
Twas pretty easy, too because it need only be beautiful
to my eyes.

Big bonus: I changed the battery in one of my DMMs right
after putting the tray in the drawer.
(Used the small slot screwdriver and needlenose pliers
from the tray).

After I buttoned up the DMM, I noticed *instantly* that
I left the screwdriver out of it's recess. It went back in
to it's place muy pronto. I smiled. Like a real grownup.

(...)

I keep the 500 most-used tools in my truck with me. As to the shop, I
finished the roof on the pumphouse and can now install the shelving.
Brackets are already up, so that won't take long. Hell, by Christmas,
I should have some of the crap out of the shop so I can view a real
sq. _foot_ of floorspace again. Only then can I figure out what shop
tools to keep where, and how.

Whilst reorganizing my tools, I discovered many that I
had been missing for a couple years. Turns out I had
them all the time. They were just secreted under layers
of other tools. Dash Bad.

(...)

So how often do you and/or SWMBO refer to that list?

Couple times a week, on average.
I admit I'm the one that transcribes from handwritten
into the spreadsheet. But it is still cool to have a
list that can be sorted by 'store aisle'.

Everything in moderation, including moderation. --anon

Whoa! *Especially* moderation.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:

(...)

And when you get Vincents Desease. Version of Trench Mouth, you get to
gargle with H2O2. Yuk.

It's cheap, safe, effective and is almost indistinguishable from water.

I can think of lots of worse cures.

--Winston

As a 19 year old, I did not like the foaming mouth look or feel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-19, Winston wrote:
Larry Jaques writes:

[ ... ]

So how often do you and/or SWMBO refer to that list?

Couple times a week, on average.
I admit I'm the one that transcribes from handwritten
into the spreadsheet. But it is still cool to have a
list that can be sorted by 'store aisle'.

We've done that -- using a simple text editor (no need for a
spreadsheet), and the unix "sort" utility which can be told to sort on a
specific field, and either numerically or text based sorts. Of course,
the default text-based works pretty well as long as you are in the habit
of using leading zeros, so every number has the same number of digits.
And if you put the aisle in the left-most field, that is also the
default.

Then the store shuffled their arrangement -- several times. We
used to have a find-me table which they gave out after they absorbed the
business beside the grocery store and expanded into it. For a while
*nobody* could find anything. They're currently doing a major shuffle
again, so I hope that they start offering such a guide again.

My wife is pretty good at knowing which aisles to look in for
what (except during the shuffle), but when she was in the hospital, I
depended on that map and the pre-sorted shopping list -- and for a while
after that -- until she felt well enough to do her shopping on her own
again.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Calif Bill wrote:
"Winston" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:

(...)

And when you get Vincents Desease. Version of Trench Mouth, you get to
gargle with H2O2. Yuk.

It's cheap, safe, effective and is almost indistinguishable from water.

I can think of lots of worse cures.

--Winston

As a 19 year old, I did not like the foaming mouth look or feel.

Sounds like it was very unpleasant.
I'm pleased that we have you back from that, Bill.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-19, Winston wrote:
Larry Jaques writes:

[ ... ]

So how often do you and/or SWMBO refer to that list?

Couple times a week, on average.
I admit I'm the one that transcribes from handwritten
into the spreadsheet. But it is still cool to have a
list that can be sorted by 'store aisle'.

We've done that -- using a simple text editor (no need for a
spreadsheet), and the unix "sort" utility which can be told to sort on a
specific field, and either numerically or text based sorts.

Guru on deck!

Of course,
the default text-based works pretty well as long as you are in the habit
of using leading zeros, so every number has the same number of digits.
And if you put the aisle in the left-most field, that is also the
default.

Then the store shuffled their arrangement -- several times. We
used to have a find-me table which they gave out after they absorbed the
business beside the grocery store and expanded into it. For a while
*nobody* could find anything. They're currently doing a major shuffle
again, so I hope that they start offering such a guide again.

I can relate. I started writing down aisle numbers to append to
each item entry. It worked great for about a week. Twas a blast
to go directly from anywhere to anywhere in the store. Got my
shopping done in jig time. Store management didn't care for that
overmuch. DAMHIKT

My wife is pretty good at knowing which aisles to look in for
what (except during the shuffle), but when she was in the hospital, I
depended on that map and the pre-sorted shopping list -- and for a while
after that -- until she felt well enough to do her shopping on her own
again.

Sounds like you coped well.

Cool!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:25:42 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Don Foreman" wrote in message

(...)

Two parts H202, one part HCl works well for etching circuit boards.

Which concentration of H2O2?

I wonder if the H2O2 just provides agitation?

--Winston

No, there's more to it than that. I've read somewhere how this
chemistry works but I don't recall where. I didn't invent this, a
search will fetch many hits.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 21:21:06 -0700, Winston

On 2009-07-19, Winston wrote:
Larry Jaques writes:

[ ... ]

[...]

The store where I do most of the family shopping is undergoing its
fourth or fifth major renovation since it was built in 1976 - the year
after I started shopping there (the original store was in the parking
area in front of the new building).
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 16:56:51 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Two parts H202, one part HCl works well for etching circuit boards.

Which concentration of H2O2?

3%, available at Walmart for under a buck a quart.

That sounds handy, because I always have both on hand. Thanks -- I'll have
to remember that one.

If your remembery is as fallible as mine, a google search on
"peroxide PCB" will fetch a refresh.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Don Foreman" wrote in message

(...)

Two parts H202, one part HCl works well for etching circuit boards.
Which concentration of H2O2?

I wonder if the H2O2 just provides agitation?

--Winston

No, there's more to it than that. I've read somewhere how this
chemistry works but I don't recall where. I didn't invent this, a
search will fetch many hits.

Well I'll be darned.
http://www.wikihow.com/Etch-a-Circuit-Board

Thanks!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

(...)

The store where I do most of the family shopping is undergoing its
fourth or fifth major renovation since it was built in 1976 - the year
after I started shopping there (the original store was in the parking
area in front of the new building).
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Needed: Shopping cart (Trolly) mounted display that shows
the location of each shopping list item, GPS - style.

Hey, I'd buy one!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Two parts H202, one part HCl works well for etching circuit boards.

Which concentration of H2O2?

3%, available at Walmart for under a buck a quart.

That sounds handy, because I always have both on hand. Thanks -- I'll have
to remember that one.

If your remembery is as fallible as mine, a google search on
"peroxide PCB" will fetch a refresh.

I'll need that, no doubt. g Thanks.

Speaking of memory devices, since Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a
tongue-twister and hard for many of us westerners to remember, I've adopted
Maureen Dowd's mnemonic for his name: "I'm a dinner jacket." 'Never fails.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My top four drawers go:

Grabby
Stabby
Twisty
Turny.

Pliars
Screwdrivers
sockets
Wrenches
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:01:29 -0500, RBnDFW wrote:

Wes wrote:
cavelamb wrote:

I can't address wind power ashore, but I'm very much in favor of it
afloat!

Currently reading Nevile Shute's "Trustee from the Toolroom", have you ever read it?

Wes

Excellent book. Read it recently, one of my favorites.
I have it in e-book format if anyone is interested.
It's long out of print.

Id love it if you could email it to me

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
cavelamb wrote:

I can't address wind power ashore, but I'm very much in favor of it
afloat!

Currently reading Nevile Shute's "Trustee from the Toolroom", have you ever read it?

Wes

Excellent book. Read it recently, one of my favorites.
I have it in e-book format if anyone is interested.
It's long out of print.

Id love it if you could email it to me

I'll send it to you once I've read it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 02:21:03 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

.. .
wrote:

Two parts H202, one part HCl works well for etching circuit boards.

Which concentration of H2O2?

3%, available at Walmart for under a buck a quart.

That sounds handy, because I always have both on hand. Thanks -- I'll have
to remember that one.

If your remembery is as fallible as mine, a google search on
"peroxide PCB" will fetch a refresh.

I'll need that, no doubt. g Thanks.

Speaking of memory devices, since Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a
tongue-twister and hard for many of us westerners to remember, I've adopted
Maureen Dowd's mnemonic for his name: "I'm a dinner jacket." 'Never fails.

Grok that. I use "Just another yahoo" for Israel's Benjamin
Netanyahu.

Then there are the old "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives
Willingly" for resistor color code, and "Mr. Victor Eats Many Jam
Sandwiches Until Nicely Plump" for planets, which is now void because
they took away Pluto's planetary status.

That author was right: Everything you know is wrong.

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
-- Johann K. Lavater
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 18:57:36 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques writes:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 17:31:49 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

The tools that you use very occasionally can go into less
convenient (compact) storage. Your 2000 most - used tools
get sorted into foam for instant access and trackability,
ordered by decreasing frequency - of - use. Simpatico, no?

That's much more easily said than done.

Cost me 15 minutes per tray.
Twas pretty easy, too because it need only be beautiful
to my eyes.

Are you also anal enough to have one of those pegboards with outlines
of tools on your garage wall? Huh, huh, huh? Are ya?

Big bonus: I changed the battery in one of my DMMs right
after putting the tray in the drawer.
(Used the small slot screwdriver and needlenose pliers
from the tray).

After I buttoned up the DMM, I noticed *instantly* that
I left the screwdriver out of it's recess. It went back in
to it's place muy pronto. I smiled. Like a real grownup.

Well, it's a start, wot?

(...)

I keep the 500 most-used tools in my truck with me. As to the shop, I
finished the roof on the pumphouse and can now install the shelving.
Brackets are already up, so that won't take long. Hell, by Christmas,
I should have some of the crap out of the shop so I can view a real
sq. _foot_ of floorspace again. Only then can I figure out what shop
tools to keep where, and how.

Whilst reorganizing my tools, I discovered many that I
had been missing for a couple years. Turns out I had
them all the time. They were just secreted under layers
of other tools. Dash Bad.

(...)

So how often do you and/or SWMBO refer to that list?

Couple times a week, on average.

Oh. I'm only 55 (until next month), so I can remember things longer.
I don't start disremembering for months or years. bseg

I admit I'm the one that transcribes from handwritten
into the spreadsheet. But it is still cool to have a
list that can be sorted by 'store aisle'.

What, do you photograph the aisles in your one store and make lists
for that? Man, talk about overkill.

"They" just rearranged all the stores in town over the past 6 months.
Fred Meyer and Wally World just moved everything in the stores and
Wally widened their aisles. I need you to come up and do your list
thing for GP residents. Are ya up to it, little fella? There's a jar
of mixed nuts, bolts, and dust in it for ya!

Everything in moderation, including moderation. --anon

Whoa! *Especially* moderation.

You betcha!

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
-- Johann K. Lavater
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Jul 2009 02:56:04 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

Then the store shuffled their arrangement -- several times. We
used to have a find-me table which they gave out after they absorbed the
business beside the grocery store and expanded into it. For a while
*nobody* could find anything. They're currently doing a major shuffle
again, so I hope that they start offering such a guide again.

Homey's Despot is the only store I've ever seen with an aisle list.

I think The Shuffle is a way stores force people into doing a whole
lot more impulse buying.

Add "Never shop when you're hungry." to Winnie's list of top things
we've learned. I eat a snack or meal before going into town for
groceries and my bottom line is lower for it.

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
-- Johann K. Lavater
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:11:21 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Gerald Miller wrote:

(...)

The store where I do most of the family shopping is undergoing its
fourth or fifth major renovation since it was built in 1976 - the year
after I started shopping there (the original store was in the parking
area in front of the new building).
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Needed: Shopping cart (Trolly) mounted display that shows
the location of each shopping list item, GPS - style.

Hey, I'd buy one!

How about a transporter system which brought the items up to you in
the front of the store at the insta-cashier, or beamed you and your
cart to the item you wished to purchase, Scotty?

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
-- Johann K. Lavater

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

How about a transporter system which brought the items up to you in
the front of the store at the insta-cashier, or beamed you and your
cart to the item you wished to purchase, Scotty?

Add the replicator option, and you don't even need inventory.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On 19 Jul 2009 02:56:04 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

Then the store shuffled their arrangement -- several times. We
used to have a find-me table which they gave out after they absorbed the
business beside the grocery store and expanded into it. For a while
*nobody* could find anything. They're currently doing a major shuffle
again, so I hope that they start offering such a guide again.

Homey's Despot is the only store I've ever seen with an aisle list.

I think The Shuffle is a way stores force people into doing a whole
lot more impulse buying.

Add "Never shop when you're hungry." to Winnie's list of top things
we've learned. I eat a snack or meal before going into town for
groceries and my bottom line is lower for it.

That's the only time I shop. My stomach is upset when I'm hungry, and
I can't even look at the impulse junk.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Are you also anal enough to have one of those pegboards with outlines
of tools on your garage wall? Huh, huh, huh? Are ya?

There is some pegboard in both of my shops, but no outlines. I'm
saving the outline tape for anyone who tries to steal my tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I should also mention I'm located on a ridge, the highest ground till you
get to the above mentioned wind farm area.

Karl
Still, don't assume anything about wind speed. A small difference in
average speed or consistency equals a much bigger difference in
production. In our area, everybody loves to bitch about the wind. Some
people move away because they can't stand the blowing. It seems
omnipresent until you put up a turbine. :-)
Reminds me of the year I bought my first sailboat.
"The Windless summer"

Seems we bought our boats the same years......sigh

We spent nearly 6 hours out tonight.
I need to make a new pennant; one with a beaver on it.
That was a beautiful night!

R (the Happy little Lamb)

ROFLMAO!!!!

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Apocryphal - of - miracles

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
How about a transporter system which brought the items up to you in
the front of the store at the insta-cashier, or beamed you and your
cart to the item you wished to purchase, Scotty?

Add the replicator option, and you don't even need inventory.

I need the replicator template for Ruedesheimer Rosengarten '82, too
long since I've seen that label!

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:
My top four drawers go:

Grabby
Stabby
Twisty
Turny.

What a coincidence!
Those'r the names of the four guys who hang out
in front of a local sandwich shop!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 18:57:36 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

Are you also anal enough to have one of those pegboards with outlines
of tools on your garage wall? Huh, huh, huh? Are ya?

I would be, except for the discouraging habit the
hooks have, of releasing themselves from the board
at the most inconvenient time! Tore out my last
piece of pegboard in disgust.

The model shop at Xerox PARC had a pegboard full
of hand tools, outlined just as you say. They
did not use the nasty wire hooks though. I recall
painted wood blocks screwed into the board.
Worked a treat!

(...) I smiled. Like a real grownup.

Well, it's a start, wot?

I'm living proof that "it's never too amazingly late".

(...)

What, do you photograph the aisles in your one store and make lists
for that? Man, talk about overkill.

Now *there* is an idea! HEY now! You tryin to get me arrested?

"They" just rearranged all the stores in town over the past 6 months.
Fred Meyer and Wally World just moved everything in the stores and
Wally widened their aisles. I need you to come up and do your list
thing for GP residents. Are ya up to it, little fella? There's a jar
of mixed nuts, bolts, and dust in it for ya!

Whatta great scam for ridding oneself of junk!
I've got about 8 yards of chopped concrete pieces, Larry.
Suppose I could wash a few cars and donate, say
3000 lbs in the driveways labeled as 'free wheel chocks'?

Everything in moderation, including moderation. --anon

Whoa! *Especially* moderation.

You betcha!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
(...)
How about a transporter system which brought the items up to you in
the front of the store at the insta-cashier, or beamed you and your
cart to the item you wished to purchase, Scotty?

Well, just beam the goodies into my fridge while you're at it!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
How about a transporter system which brought the items up to you in
the front of the store at the insta-cashier, or beamed you and your
cart to the item you wished to purchase, Scotty?

Add the replicator option, and you don't even need inventory.

Just flashed back to episode 114 of "Lost In Space" where
a plant duplicated objects except for the *inside* of the
object.

Prescient foretelling of Harbor Freight, wot?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-19, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On 19 Jul 2009 02:56:04 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

Then the store shuffled their arrangement -- several times. We
used to have a find-me table which they gave out after they absorbed the
business beside the grocery store and expanded into it. For a while
*nobody* could find anything. They're currently doing a major shuffle
again, so I hope that they start offering such a guide again.

Homey's Despot is the only store I've ever seen with an aisle list.

I think The Shuffle is a way stores force people into doing a whole
lot more impulse buying.

Precisely. I know someone whose job is to go from store to
store doing the shuffle -- for precisely that reason. It brings in
enough extra income for the stores to pay for the shufflers.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
How about a transporter system which brought the items up to you in
the front of the store at the insta-cashier, or beamed you and your
cart to the item you wished to purchase, Scotty?

Add the replicator option, and you don't even need inventory.

I need the replicator template for Ruedesheimer Rosengarten '82, too
long since I've seen that label!

The first thing I would try is 20 pounds of San Marano Tomatoes. I
can't find them or the seeds in Central Florida. I have only seen a few
cans, now & then. I used to grow them up north and used them for Chili,
Spaghetti and Pasta. Slice off the ends, cut them in quarters, and cook
them with the skins. The skins float off when they are cooked.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
How about a transporter system which brought the items up to you in
the front of the store at the insta-cashier, or beamed you and your
cart to the item you wished to purchase, Scotty?

Add the replicator option, and you don't even need inventory.

Just flashed back to episode 114 of "Lost In Space" where
a plant duplicated objects except for the *inside* of the
object.

Prescient foretelling of Harbor Freight, wot?

Nonsense. Their suppliers duplicate what they are given as samples.
Defective samples make for defective duplicates.

Stick this in your wind power pipe and smoke it. dpb Home Repair 0 April 14th 09 08:27 PM
Wind power plant [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 April 17th 08 06:45 PM
Third World Wind Power Gadget Inspector UK diy 4 October 28th 07 12:26 AM
Wind Power (OT) John UK diy 226 March 25th 07 10:52 PM
DIY roof mount wind power? anyone? Jim UK diy 65 November 25th 05 09:16 AM