Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - What to do with an old TV

With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:39:12 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

Let the kids play video games on it. The CRT displays are probably
better for action games.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

There might be an charity organization that would be able to use them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There might be an charity organization that would be able to use them.

A local hotel chain donated 300 to a charity I work with. 275 are still in
our warehouse.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

Sure.

Hang an old fashioned VCR or DVD player on it and enjoy movies.

Commercial TV, even digital, sucks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

There might be an charity organization that would be able to use them.

I just got two donated to out fire dept. Both 25" units in great
condition. They will be connected up to use for training videos and
such. MUCH cheaper than a projector and easier to use. I don't know why
half of these people are running out to get new sets anyway. Just get
any of the newer DVD/Video units with a tuner and use the TV only as a
monitor.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

Sure.

Hang an old fashioned VCR or DVD player on it and enjoy movies.

Commercial TV, even digital, sucks.

All 480 channels! I watch maybe 10.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that cavelamb on or about
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:22:00 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

Sure.

Hang an old fashioned VCR or DVD player on it and enjoy movies.

Commercial TV, even digital, sucks.

It's not the quantity of lines on the screen, but the quality of
the lines in the script that really are important.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Spehro Pefhany
on or about Tue, 23 Jun 2009
13:24:26 -0400 did write/type or cause to appear in
wrote:

With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

Let the kids play video games on it. The CRT displays are probably
better for action games.

Or strip 'em for parts. Even in this day of transistors, there
still some interesting electronic bits in there, just waiting for the
techno-geek to do "something" with them.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

There might be an charity organization that would be able to use them.

In British Columbia, we can take old electronics stuff to the Salvation Army
thrift stores. They can turn the stuff in for money via the government
recycling program.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

There might be an charity organization that would be able to use them.

I give them away on the local Freecycle group. Four, so far.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

things no one has mentioned yet:

1. fish tank
2. plasma globe (use flyback)
3. make an old pong game into a dedicated game console with a TV mounted on
its back
4. monitor (many have composite video in) for a remote camera
5. second computer display

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Buerste" wrote:

Commercial TV, even digital, sucks.

All 480 channels! I watch maybe 10.

Fox News, C-Span1, C-Span2, Comedy channel, TVLand, and once and a while
MSBHO for
Doberman. Doberman is excellent, I can both keep up on the left and have
a good target
for snapping in with the PDF.

Wes

Food Channel, Sci-fi, History, Discovery, BBCA, 4 local channels, A&E, TNT,
Fox, TCM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:

5. second computer display

Then what do I do with over 100 SVGA monitors? I've already given a
lot of them away, but the count is still 100+.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:34:13 -0700, the infamous pyotr filipivich
scrawled the following:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

Sure.

Hang an old fashioned VCR or DVD player on it and enjoy movies.

Commercial TV, even digital, sucks.

It's not the quantity of lines on the screen, but the quality of
the lines in the script that really are important.

Hell, Pete. They stopped using scripts for TeeVee a decade ago. The
SciFi channel even produces entire movies without a hint of script or
even _acting_ nowadays. big sigh

LJ -- 26 months TV-free, and couldn't be happier about it. I don't
miss 500 channels of nothing.

--
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass;
it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 04:56:59 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Buerste" wrote:

Commercial TV, even digital, sucks.

All 480 channels! I watch maybe 10.

Fox News, C-Span1, C-Span2, Comedy channel, TVLand, and once and a while
MSBHO for
Doberman. Doberman is excellent, I can both keep up on the left and have
a good target
for snapping in with the PDF.

Wes

Food Channel, Sci-fi, History, Discovery, BBCA, 4 local channels, A&E, TNT,
Fox, TCM

WHAT? You don't watch, erm (what were those call letters?), oh yeah,
SPIKE? What kind of lez are you, anyway, Tawm? A bottom? Sheesh!

I got tired of seeing the same dozen listings for movies for a month
on each channel (Who wants to watch Bambi at 1am, 6am, 1pm, _and_ 4pm
_every_ Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday?

After a handful of years, I'd watched every good program History ever
put out. Discovery didn't

But...THE COMMERCIALS! Arrrrrgh, my eyes! My ears! Ayiiiiiiieeeeee!

I recently watched the local news on my only available antenna
channel. I had that mute button on for a full 17 minutes of that half
hour program, blocking out commercials. When commercials take up 57%
of the programming time, you know you have content problems, if
nothing else. I sure don't miss watching broadcast TV.

Long Live Netflix and RedBox DVD Rentals!

--
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass;
it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
--Anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 11:36*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I don't know why
half of these people are running out to get new sets anyway. Just get
any of the newer DVD/Video units with a tuner and use the TV only as a
monitor.

--
Steve W.

I agree...I don't really understand it either but I am seeing some
REALLY NICE sets being surplused that can be picked up for pennies.

TMT

The cost per hour of use for TV's is very low. Say a TV costs $700
and lasts for only five years. That is only about 40 cents a day.
And if it is used three hours a day, then the cost is about 13 cents
an hour. And you will get part of that back because the new tv will
use less power. To me it is worth that much to have the higher
resolution of the digital tv.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve R. wrote:

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

There might be an charity organization that would be able to use them.

In British Columbia, we can take old electronics stuff to the Salvation Army
thrift stores. They can turn the stuff in for money via the government
recycling program.

that's a fancy and complex way to do the same thing that's happening now- throwing them away.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

things no one has mentioned yet:

1. fish tank
2. plasma globe (use flyback)
3. make an old pong game into a dedicated game console with a TV mounted
on its back
4. monitor (many have composite video in) for a remote camera
5. second computer display

surprised no one has mentioned yet...
always thought it would be cool to have a wall of televisions, like, either
all tuned to the same channel or maybe even different channels. (like LBJ
but supersized.) can't really justify the cost of electricity though, even
for only just two tv's. (would be kinda an art project, not really actually
watching 45 tv programs at once. kinda nam jun paik-ish-esque.)

http://www.paikstudios.com/
example...
http://www.paikstudios.com/gallery/2.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

[...]

http://www.9xmedia.com/products/videowall/index.php

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Larry Jaques
on or about Wed, 24 Jun 2009 05:59:59 -0700 did write/type or cause to

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

Sure.

Hang an old fashioned VCR or DVD player on it and enjoy movies.

Commercial TV, even digital, sucks.

It's not the quantity of lines on the screen, but the quality of
the lines in the script that really are important.

Hell, Pete. They stopped using scripts for TeeVee a decade ago. The
SciFi channel even produces entire movies without a hint of script or
even _acting_ nowadays. big sigh

LJ -- 26 months TV-free, and couldn't be happier about it. I don't
miss 500 channels of nothing.

I miss TV now and then. Usually just after I put a new scope on
the rifle.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

My TV set, new last August uses only 50 watts!

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 24, 2:39*am, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
With the advent of digital OTA television, many people are choosing to
get rid of old televisions..some of them very nice.

Any uses for an older television other than the obvious use it with a
converter box?

Thanks

Mmm, yes, well - this is the view from OZ, where digital TV is
starting to bite...and as technician who used to make a living fixing
them, I can speak with some (imagined possibly) authority. In response
to some of the posts so far....

Here, we cant give them to charities because of electrical safety
requirements, they have to be "tested and tagged" by a licensed
electrician. This is a double blow, cause I used to pick up some nice
gear from charity shops.
Strip for parts? - how many audio IC's do you need, most of the rest
are, well, designed only for televisions. I recently scrapped a huge
collection of chassis I was keeping for spares. One or two its good to
pull out the degauss coil round the CRT perimeter, a big heap of nice
enameled wire for winding coils, transformers, making aerials.
Use a set top converter - fine, if the set has AV inputs - here, at
least, they don't have RF out. And some oldest sets don't have AV in,
newer ones have 1 input, usually with mono audio. And as people want
to run multiple external devices, eg DVD, games consoles etc.....I do
supply and fit AV switch boxes, now keep them as stock items in the
van. (Along with leads etc)
Give to the kids for game displays - now, that is a TRULY EXCELLENT
idea, LCD screens in particular don't take kindly to being poked by
kids - which is what kids do.....

Plasma are power hungry beasts, equivalent to a small radiator in the
room, so needs aircon in the summer (ours anyway) - they emit HUGE
amounts of radio frequency interference, wipes out any radio nearby.
When you hvae a whole suburb of them, and your looking for weak
signals on the amateur bands, forget it. I did hear the EU is going to
ban them as they are such nasty beasts from many viewpoints.

Heard from a fellow tech the other day, customer had a 52inch Plasma
LG, he had mounted it to a plaster wall using toggle bolts. It fell
off, smashed the screen (they are heavy brutes) - he actually tried to
claim under warranty from the maker, when they told him to "get
stuffed" he tried his home insurance co - same result.......

I see CRT sets on the side of the road, I know whats wrong with them,
can fix for a few dollars - then I cannot GIVE them away.
Our government (or at least the people pretending to be in charge)
recently reached an agreement with manufactures to recycle old CRT
sets rather than going as toxic waste to landfill. Hopefully this will
be more than window dressing.

So, "old fart syndrome" again - we remember how things used to be, and
don't like how they are. The pace of technological change is
accelerating, ever faster - a good example is the VCR, how long did it
take to be introduced, get cheap, now obsolete.....and given the
number of "old farts" here, there would be dozens more examples from
other fields.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 25, 12:58*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

So, "old fart syndrome" again - we remember how things used to be, and
don't like how they are.

When my grandmother bought her first color TV some decades ago I, as a
TV tech, rigged it so the on off switch switched B+ not the AC line.
That way all the tube heaters kept running 24/7. Less efficient? Sure,
but I never again had to take the back off this all tube set. And now
we have unrepairable flat screen sets which cost 5 times as much and
sometimes fail within warranty.

The pace of technological change is
accelerating, ever faster - a good example is the VCR, how long did it
take to be introduced, get cheap, now obsolete

"Buy a Blue Ray DVD player. Buy it now. Buy all your movies AGAIN on
Blue Ray"!

Yeah, right. My bet is that within 5 years this format will be
obsolete and movies will be on SD chips (or similar) and the SD reader
will be a part of every TV set. Nothing mechanical - no set up needed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"N Morrison" wrote in message
The pace of technological change is
accelerating, ever faster - a good example is the VCR, how long did it
take to be introduced, get cheap, now obsolete

"Buy a Blue Ray DVD player. Buy it now. Buy all your movies AGAIN on
Blue Ray"!

Yeah, right. My bet is that within 5 years this format will be
obsolete and movies will be on SD chips (or similar) and the SD reader
will be a part of every TV set. Nothing mechanical - no set up needed.

---

http://www.cringely.com/2009/06/is-blu-ray-a-failure/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buy a Blue Ray DVD player. Buy it now. Buy all your movies AGAIN on
Blue Ray"!

That must be from a cross-post. I can't find the original in this group.
I'd like to have seen that expanded argument