Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
N Morrison N Morrison is offline

Default OT - What to do with an old TV

On Jun 25, 12:58*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

So, "old fart syndrome" again - we remember how things used to be, and
don't like how they are.

When my grandmother bought her first color TV some decades ago I, as a
TV tech, rigged it so the on off switch switched B+ not the AC line.
That way all the tube heaters kept running 24/7. Less efficient? Sure,
but I never again had to take the back off this all tube set. And now
we have unrepairable flat screen sets which cost 5 times as much and
sometimes fail within warranty.

The pace of technological change is
accelerating, ever faster - a good example is the VCR, how long did it
take to be introduced, get cheap, now obsolete

"Buy a Blue Ray DVD player. Buy it now. Buy all your movies AGAIN on
Blue Ray"!

Yeah, right. My bet is that within 5 years this format will be
obsolete and movies will be on SD chips (or similar) and the SD reader
will be a part of every TV set. Nothing mechanical - no set up needed.