Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan Jordan is offline

Default OT - What to do with an old TV

wrote:

And you will get part of that back because the new tv will
use less power.
Dan

My boss asked me a few months ago, to check that LCD displays really do
use less power than CRT. A quick survey of specs that I could find
online had results that suprised me. If anything, CRTs were generally
the less power hungry, size for size, although not by much.
A straight comparison is not possible due to different operating
methods, for example it takes more power to display black than white on
an LCD - other way round for CRT, so average performance specs were what
I was looking for. I advised my boss that it was unsafe to assert that
LCDs were more efficient than CRT. Maybe they're getting better though?
For seriously inefficient (unless you want a free room heater) get a
plasma screen.

Jordan