Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Usenet services recommended?

From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Help! I depend on this & several other newsgroups for
my learning experiences. Can anyone suggest a paid service that they are
using & happy with?? I'd also like to have access to binairies for when
people post photos of their projects.

--
Ted Walker
"Jack of all trades, master of none",

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Courtney" wrote in message
news.motzarella.org has been fantastic since I switched earlier this
year when my ISP dropped Usenet services.

"Ted Walker" wrote in message
From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Help! I depend on this & several other newsgroups
for my learning experiences. Can anyone suggest a paid service that they
are using & happy with?? I'd also like to have access to binairies for
when people post photos of their projects.

--
Ted Walker
"Jack of all trades, master of none",
But having fun working on it!

got a msg today:

Motzarella.org will become Eternal-September.org on July 1, 2009

use news.eternal-september.org instead

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Octanews.com werks fer me

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Walker wrote:
From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Help! I depend on this & several other newsgroups for
my learning experiences. Can anyone suggest a paid service that they are
using & happy with?? I'd also like to have access to binairies for when
people post photos of their projects.

I've been using the cheapest level of GigaNews and am really happy with
their performance and reliability. As far as I know, they have never
been down in several years of use. The only problem is they keep too
MUCH! The rec.crafts.metalworking holds all data back to 6/20/2003!
(I'm guessing that's when GigaNews started operation.) The problem with
this is there are about 500,000 posts there, and that bogs down my
browser with sorting and threading the whole list. It also bugs me to
have to pay for something that is SUPPOSED to be included with my ISP
contract, but their 3rd party NNTP service is a total joke, there was a
period where it wend down every weekend for the entire weekend!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ted Walker" wrote:

From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Help! I depend on this & several other newsgroups for
my learning experiences. Can anyone suggest a paid service that they are
using & happy with?? I'd also like to have access to binairies for when
people post photos of their projects.

forteinc.com is fairly cheap but it can be a bit flaky. I'm using atm.

WEs

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ted Walker" wrote in message
From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Help! I depend on this & several other newsgroups for
my learning experiences. Can anyone suggest a paid service that they are
using & happy with?? I'd also like to have access to binairies for when
people post photos of their projects.

--
Ted Walker
"Jack of all trades, master of none",
But having fun working on it!

I use two:
1) Teranews - set up fee only. No binaries.
2) Newsguy. Yearly fee. Binaries.

It's a belt and braces thing. Both have been working fine. Rarely in the
past one went down so I used the other.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote in
:

"Ted Walker" wrote:

From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Help! I depend on this & several other newsgroups
for my learning experiences. Can anyone suggest a paid service that
they are using & happy with?? I'd also like to have access to
binairies for when people post photos of their projects.

forteinc.com is fairly cheap but it can be a bit flaky. I'm using
atm.

I also use Forte APN. It hiccups occasionally, but no more often than my
old ISP's feed of Giganews. Forte APN is only $2.95/month. Not sure if
they support binaries. I tried Terranews's free service initially when my
ISP stopped news, and it was awful.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 17, 10:21*am, "Ted Walker" wrote:
From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. *Help! *I depend on this & several other newsgroups for
my learning experiences. *Can anyone suggest a paid service that they are
using & happy with?? * I'd also like to have access to binairies for when
people post photos of their projects.

Google is free and works well but no binaries.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Walker wrote:
From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
[...]

Giganews is supposed to have some spam filtering. Do you use it? Does
it work?

Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 17, 8:04*pm, N Morrison wrote:
On Jun 17, 10:21*am, "Ted Walker" wrote:

From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. *Help! *I depend on this & several other newsgroups for
my learning experiences. *Can anyone suggest a paid service that they are
using & happy with?? * I'd also like to have access to binairies for when
people post photos of their projects.

Google is free and works well but no binaries.

Why are people so opposed to Google Groups? The spam isn't THAT bad;
right now there's barely any of it. The whiners and misfits are no
harder to identify and ignore than the used car ads in a newspaper.
Flickr and Picasa work well for photos. I don't run Picasa's special
software, I just cut the size and resolution and use the basic
uploader.

The necessary gmail account makes a fine spam trap, one click and
they're all gone. My other free email accounts don't attract one spam
a week.

The text-only pages load in two or three seconds on my 45K dialup
connection. I'm not sure why, but they don't load much faster on the
2X faster PC with 2MB broadband at work, or slower when I get only
28K. Perhaps the corporate McAfee antivirus takes longer than AVG Free
8.5 to check them.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:05:04 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

I am very pleased with Giganews.

Bob Swinney
"Ted Walker" wrote in message ...
From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Help! I depend on this & several other newsgroups for
my learning experiences. Can anyone suggest a paid service that they are
using & happy with?? I'd also like to have access to binairies for when
people post photos of their projects.

Me Too
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:
"Ted Walker" wrote in message
From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Help! I depend on this & several other
newsgroups for my learning experiences. Can anyone suggest a paid
service that they are using & happy with?? I'd also like to have
access to binairies for when people post photos of their projects.

--
Ted Walker
"Jack of all trades, master of none",
But having fun working on it!

I use two:
1) Teranews - set up fee only. No binaries.
2) Newsguy. Yearly fee. Binaries.

It's a belt and braces thing. Both have been working fine. Rarely in
the past one went down so I used the other.

I'm using tera free for binaries on all my comps , and as the only access on
all but my desktop .
AT&T sucks here , the Comcast guy will be here tomorrow .
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 19:40:54 -0500, Wayne
wrote:

Ted Walker wrote:
From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
[...]

Been making extensive use of kill filters of late.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne wrote:

Giganews is supposed to have some spam filtering. Do you use it? Does it
work?

Umm, I don't know. I suspect I am getting it in
the unfiltered version. For most newsgroups that
is fine, but a few have been invaded by imbeciles
from India or something. So, I guess I am not
using the filtering.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jon

Giganews is supposed to have some spam filtering. Do you use it? Does
it work?

Wayne D.

I've been using Giganews for a few years now, the $12.99/mo service. I
believe there is some type of filtering here because I've seen posts
about spam that never showed up on my end. My old ISP had there own
news service but it never had the binaries complete, always missing
parts, even text groups (likeRMC and AMC) were unreliable.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:21:18 -0500, the infamous "Ted Walker"
scrawled the following:

From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Help! I depend on this & several other newsgroups for
my learning experiences. Can anyone suggest a paid service that they are
using & happy with?? I'd also like to have access to binairies for when
people post photos of their projects.

Forte, Inc. has the Agent Premium News (APN) service for $2.95/mo. I
love it, though it denied my posting earlier in the day today. Quickly
reversed quirk, I hope.

--
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

Why are people so opposed to Google Groups?

Too many trolls coming from there - to the point that al sane Usenet users
automatically filter them out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When my original ISP shut down, I signed up with their 3rd-party provider:
www.usenetserver.com as an individual account.

Text, Binary, no limits, excellent response times regardless of how fast a
connection I have at the moment. (Faster connection = faster
down/uploading, of course. grin)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks everyone for their input. I'm going to check out those suggested and
make a quick decision. I hate it when my use gets interrupted by having to
learn a new program. Rather be out in the shop!!

--
Ted Walker
"Jack of all trades, master of none",
But having fun working on it!
"Ted Walker" wrote in message
From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Help! I depend on this & several other newsgroups for
my learning experiences. Can anyone suggest a paid service that they are
using & happy with?? I'd also like to have access to binairies for when
people post photos of their projects.

--
Ted Walker
"Jack of all trades, master of none",
But having fun working on it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-06-19, Steve Ackman wrote:
In , on Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:07:29
-0500, Ted Walker, wrote:

Thanks everyone for their input. I'm going to check out those suggested and
make a quick decision. I hate it when my use gets interrupted by having to
learn a new program. Rather be out in the shop!!

- Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512

Although your "newsreader" leaves MUCH to be desired,
you don't need to "learn a new program." All you have
to do is change the server, username, and password
settings in what you're already using.

:-)

It should take all of 5 seconds... maybe 10 if
you hunt'n'peck.

FWIW -- newsguy has come through again (as they did when other ISPs
dropped news service).

Here is part of their posting about it in newsguy.general:
Check out the URL which starts the quoted section.

}
http://newsguy.com/3for1.asp

} AT&T customers will receive 2 free months of newsgroup access when they
} purchase a 1 month account for $10.95 ... that's 3 months of newsgroups
} for the price of 1!

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ted Walker" writes:

From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Help! I depend on this & several other newsgroups for
my learning experiences. Can anyone suggest a paid service that they are
using & happy with?? I'd also like to have access to binairies for when
people post photos of their projects.

I use glorb.net for $10 a year. They have spam filtering. Great service.
(I don't know about binaries...)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne writes:

Giganews is supposed to have some spam filtering. Do you use it? Does
it work?

If so, you won't "see" it. Spam postings from google/etc just don't show up.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

N Morrison writes:

On Jun 17, 10:21Â*am, "Ted Walker" wrote:
From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Â*Help! Â*I depend on this & several other newsgroups for
my learning experiences. Â*Can anyone suggest a paid service that they are
using & happy with?? Â* I'd also like to have access to binairies for when
people post photos of their projects.

Google is free and works well but no binaries.

Are you crazy?
It takes about 10 times longer to read news because of the user interface.
It's okay for small reads, or finding old articles.

But if you are a daily reader of a high volumne newsgroup, like this
one, it's useless unless you ignore 95% of the postings by topic.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins writes:

Why are people so opposed to Google Groups?

No kill files
No way to only read new articles
it takes 10 times longer to read new articles.

I use a news reader that has keyboard accelerators:

n - next
space - more of the same article (if it's long)
k - killfile the subject

Because killfiles skip over subjects I don't read, I can read 2000
articles in just a few minutes, without touching the mouse once.

And that is reading EVERY new article, without reading any old articles.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" writes:

} http://newsguy.com/3for1.asp

} AT&T customers will receive 2 free months of newsgroup access when they
} purchase a 1 month account for $10.95 ... that's 3 months of newsgroups
} for the price of 1!

So that's $110 a year. I pay $10 a year.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-06-29, Maxwell Lol wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" writes:

} http://newsguy.com/3for1.asp

} AT&T customers will receive 2 free months of newsgroup access when they
} purchase a 1 month account for $10.95 ... that's 3 months of newsgroups
} for the price of 1!

So that's $110 a year. I pay $10 a year.

Actually, $99.00 a year if you pay by the year instead of by the
month.

And newsguy has the full load of binaries (you mentioned not
being sure about the binaries for your news provider). But mostly, they
have really good communication about downtimes and quick fixing of
problems -- all you need to do is post to newsguy.general about the
problem and they look into it quickly and fix it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" writes:

Emacs guy - no way thinking that is crazy.

Powerful editor. And a news reader.

Loved the column cut and paste!

and there's keyboard macros, reformatting, fully programable
interface, the ability to open command line windows and test commands
before posting them, and the ability to VPN into a remote machine from
anywhere, on any computer, and get the same view to the newsgroups,
without any client software.