Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default Usenet services recommended?

Ted Walker wrote:
From a previous post today you can see that ATT is discontinuing its
Newsgroup service. Help! I depend on this & several other newsgroups for
my learning experiences. Can anyone suggest a paid service that they are
using & happy with?? I'd also like to have access to binairies for when
people post photos of their projects.

I've been using the cheapest level of GigaNews and am really happy with their
performance and reliability. As far as I know, they have never been down in
several years of use. The only problem is they keep too MUCH! The
rec.crafts.metalworking holds all data back to 6/20/2003!
(I'm guessing that's when GigaNews started operation.) The problem with this
is there are about 500,000 posts there, and that bogs down my browser with
sorting and threading the whole list. It also bugs me to have to pay for
something that is SUPPOSED to be included with my ISP contract, but their 3rd
party NNTP service is a total joke, there was a period where it wend down
every weekend for the entire weekend!

Jon

Giganews is supposed to have some spam filtering. Do you use it? Does
it work?

Wayne D.