Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Default Long Distance Moving Companies, cat transportation services, car transportation services

Blue Event Horizon wrote:

Seeking recommendations and warnings about full service moving
companies for move from Santa Ana, California to Shelton, Washington.
Qualitiy, price, short notice moves and/or storage to adjust for the
matters associated with such moves, overall satisfaction or
dissatisfaction. Any info related to the subject welcome. This will
be an apartment to house move.

Assuming you don't have a storage unit or two full of stuff that needs to go
along with your apartment things, you really ought to think about renting a
truck and doing the move yourself. You'll save lots of money and be able to take
the cats. If you have two vehicles, one can be towed behind the truck and the
other driven by your partner.

Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the moving company. You won't fill a moving
van, so you stuff will likely be palletized and combined with other households.

A groups.google.com search will reveal many previous discusions on this topic.
Paul Pluzhnikov

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." writes:

Assuming you don't have a storage unit or two full of stuff that needs to go
along with your apartment things, you really ought to think about renting a
truck and doing the move yourself.

Also note, that the hardest part of the actual move is often
each end. This will still be a lot cheaper then hiring a moving
company.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Blue Event Horizon wrote:

Doh! I didn't even think of that. Good suggestion. Any recommended
search terms to use? I don't seem to thinking at par lately. g

Go to http://groups.google.com and click on "advanced groupds search" Type
"Moving suggestions" in the "all words" search terms box and "misc.consumers" in
the newsgroup box.

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:35:56 GMT, someone wrote:

.... neither I nor anyone in
her family thinks my GF should make this long drive

Why not????

neither of us wants to drive with the other as passenger or be
passenger with the other driving

Huh, that's even more of a WHY NOT???? (Maybe you two should not be
in a relationship?????)

-v.

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 07:52:57 GMT, someone wrote:

necessary, ship the cars (no idea who to use) and rent a van to drive
up
with the cats....

Why?

It will cost you to rent a van one way, and it will cost you to ship
your car. How many cats are we talking about, that they wouldn't fit
in your car? Can't you just drive one of your cars with the cats, and
save both the van rental and the shipping for that car????

-v.

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 08:04:25 GMT, someone wrote:

I know you aren't just a troll, so I'll suggest with tactful intent
that you've gotten out of your depth or area of expertise here and
that I suspect couples counseling is not something you would be well
suited for.

You still have not answered any of the questions.

Is there some specific reason she cannot drive a long distance,
medical condition, agoraphpbia, etc. etc.

Is there some particular additional factor why the two of you cannot
be in the same car together. THAT part seems really weird. Why can't
you?

You are sidestepping, not adressing, the matter.

-v.