Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wheel bearings

I haven't had a lot of experience with these. I bought a used boat
recently. 14" tires, a 16' Lund boat. What do I look for on inspection?
Do the bearings slide off, or do I need a puller? When I tighten the nut
down to contact, then back off a little, I get a slight growl on spinning.
Haven't pulled it all apart for a visual.

TIA

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
I haven't had a lot of experience with these. I bought a used boat
recently. 14" tires, a 16' Lund boat. What do I look for on
inspection? Do the bearings slide off, or do I need a puller? When I
tighten the nut down to contact, then back off a little, I get a
slight growl on spinning. Haven't pulled it all apart for a visual.

TIA

Steve

Replace 'em , they're bad . Should slide right off the spindle , unless
they've been hot - real hot . Replace the seals while you're at it , they'll
be bad too . Especially if the bearings have been hot .
--
Snag
Ever seen an inner race welded to the spindle ? It ain't pretty !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

SteveB wrote:
I haven't had a lot of experience with these. I bought a used boat
recently. 14" tires, a 16' Lund boat. What do I look for on
inspection? Do the bearings slide off, or do I need a puller? When I
tighten the nut down to contact, then back off a little, I get a
slight growl on spinning. Haven't pulled it all apart for a visual.

TIA

Steve

Replace 'em , they're bad . Should slide right off the spindle , unless
they've been hot - real hot . Replace the seals while you're at it , they'll
be bad too . Especially if the bearings have been hot .
--
Snag
Ever seen an inner race welded to the spindle ? It ain't pretty !

I've had to cut off a couple of them after telling the owner they
needed a repair, months earlier. Like the idiots who continue to drive
with a missing cap. Soon the grease is full of sand, the bearings are
destroyed, and in one case the wheel came off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote:

I haven't had a lot of experience with these. I bought a used boat
recently. 14" tires, a 16' Lund boat. What do I look for on inspection?
Do the bearings slide off, or do I need a puller? When I tighten the nut
down to contact, then back off a little, I get a slight growl on spinning.
Haven't pulled it all apart for a visual.

TIA

Steve

Just replace them. Those things have been underwater many times and the purpose of a boat
is go to out and have fun, not fix a trailer on the side of a busy highway.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
.. .
SteveB wrote:
I haven't had a lot of experience with these. I bought a used boat
recently. 14" tires, a 16' Lund boat. What do I look for on
inspection? Do the bearings slide off, or do I need a puller? When I
tighten the nut down to contact, then back off a little, I get a
slight growl on spinning. Haven't pulled it all apart for a visual.

TIA

Steve

Replace 'em , they're bad . Should slide right off the spindle , unless
they've been hot - real hot . Replace the seals while you're at it ,
they'll be bad too . Especially if the bearings have been hot .
--
Snag
Ever seen an inner race welded to the spindle ? It ain't pretty !

I cut two races off spindles when I had my welding business. Both were on
the side of the road trailers, and there's a trick to doing it so you don't
get the spindles, too. Both guys were just about to cry happy when those
frozen races came off there.

When I pull the wheels, do I take them over to the NAPA shop for them to
punch the old ones out, and install new? I had a drum once that a shop
wanted $25 to put five new lugs into. That NAPA did it for $ 1.25 each
including labor.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Nope , take your mig welder and run a bead all the way around the inside
of the outer race . When the weld cools , they'll fall out . Done that trick
more than once on Harley wheels , neck bearings , swingarm bearings . If
they don't fall out , they'll be very easy to drive out with a screwdriver
or drift punch .
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Snag. Guess there still is some value here amongst all the
bull****.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
[...]

But DON'T do that with the spindle bearings, unless you're playing a
_really_ nasty joke on someone.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Nope , take your mig welder and run a bead all the way around the

inside of the outer race . When the weld cools , they'll fall out .
Done that trick more than once on Harley wheels , neck bearings ,
swingarm bearings . If they don't fall out , they'll be very easy to
drive out with a screwdriver or drift punch .
--
Snag
every answer
leads to another
question

Thanks, Snag. Guess there still is some value here amongst all the
bull****.

Steve

Ya just gotta sift a bit . Helps if ya block all those that spew political
BS ... glad I could help !
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I sift a lot lately. Anyone who puts this purple lipped big eared
point man in the category of humans gets into my filter. Rather just go out
to the shop and pound metal.

Know whut uh mean, Vern?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Lemme see.......... one goes on the pointy thing, and one goes in the hole.
Wait, wait, I know this one.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 02:54:52 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I haven't had a lot of experience with these. I bought a used boat
recently. 14" tires, a 16' Lund boat. What do I look for on inspection?
Do the bearings slide off, or do I need a puller? When I tighten the nut
down to contact, then back off a little, I get a slight growl on spinning.
Haven't pulled it all apart for a visual.

TIA

Steve

Don't even think aboud it. New bearings are cheap. Replace them so
you have a known starting point. Pack the new bearings with good
marine grease.

Torque the nut until you feel drag, then back off one notch of the
castellated nut and the cotter key. Drive 50 miles, feel the hubs. If
they're uncomfortably hot, back the nut off another notch.

Try not to dunk the hubs when launching. If that's not feasible, then
put bearing buddies on the hubs ... and inspect your bearings every
spring.

So sayeth this old fisherman who has never had to deal with a
twisted-off spindle but seen a lot of them at side of the road, bad
weekends for feckless buggers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As a motorcyclist, I am wary of boats on trailers, you never know when a
wheel will come off, or what will pop out. I watched a life jacket float
around in one for a few miles, then it popped up, the wind caught it and
it's strap brought a 6 foot wooden oar with it. One of my friends was killed
by another negligent boater on the road.

Wheel bearings get warm when you use them. When you dunk them in cool water,
everything contracts and it sucks water in. The water pits the bearings, and
then they continue to get worse like a pothole in the road. This happened
to yours, replace them all.
This can be avoided by installing the grease seals backwards, so grease can
escape but water won't get in, and replacing the caps with "Bearing buddys",
or "bullseye" caps. They have a Zerk fitting and hold the grease under
spring pressure, and any excess is pushed out behind the wheel . I have
found the Bullseye leaks less grease film. They may make a small mess, but
being stuck along the roadway with a ruined spindle, or causing a wreck, is
far worse. Use a waterproof grease, and never mix it with another type.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Your statement resembles something a Klan member would say.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"SteveB" wrote in message

Yeah, I sift a lot lately.

Racist-sounding remark removed

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 May 2009 22:39:31 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

Your statement resembles something a Klan member would say.

Your commentary sounds like something a retarded Leftist would say.

Please let it not be so!

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"