Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Wheel bearings

On Sun, 17 May 2009 02:54:52 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I haven't had a lot of experience with these. I bought a used boat
recently. 14" tires, a 16' Lund boat. What do I look for on inspection?
Do the bearings slide off, or do I need a puller? When I tighten the nut
down to contact, then back off a little, I get a slight growl on spinning.
Haven't pulled it all apart for a visual.

TIA

Steve

Don't even think aboud it. New bearings are cheap. Replace them so
you have a known starting point. Pack the new bearings with good
marine grease.

Torque the nut until you feel drag, then back off one notch of the
castellated nut and the cotter key. Drive 50 miles, feel the hubs. If
they're uncomfortably hot, back the nut off another notch.

Try not to dunk the hubs when launching. If that's not feasible, then
put bearing buddies on the hubs ... and inspect your bearings every
spring.

So sayeth this old fisherman who has never had to deal with a
twisted-off spindle but seen a lot of them at side of the road, bad
weekends for feckless buggers.