Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Wheel bearings

On Sun, 17 May 2009 10:56:33 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

SteveB wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
.. .
SteveB wrote:
I haven't had a lot of experience with these. I bought a used boat
recently. 14" tires, a 16' Lund boat. What do I look for on
inspection? Do the bearings slide off, or do I need a puller? When I
tighten the nut down to contact, then back off a little, I get a
slight growl on spinning. Haven't pulled it all apart for a visual.

TIA

Steve
Replace 'em , they're bad . Should slide right off the spindle ,
unless they've been hot - real hot . Replace the seals while you're at
it , they'll be bad too . Especially if the bearings have been hot .
--
Snag
Ever seen an inner race welded to the spindle ? It ain't pretty !

I cut two races off spindles when I had my welding business. Both were
on the side of the road trailers, and there's a trick to doing it so
you don't get the spindles, too. Both guys were just about to cry
happy when those frozen races came off there.

When I pull the wheels, do I take them over to the NAPA shop for them
to punch the old ones out, and install new? I had a drum once that a
shop wanted $25 to put five new lugs into. That NAPA did it for $ 1.25
each including labor.

Steve

Nope , take your mig welder and run a bead all the way around the
inside
of the outer race . When the weld cools , they'll fall out . Done that
trick more than once on Harley wheels , neck bearings , swingarm
bearings . If they don't fall out , they'll be very easy to drive out
with a screwdriver or drift punch .

But DON'T do that with the spindle bearings, unless you're playing a
_really_ nasty joke on someone.

--
www.wescottdesign.com