Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Weird hardware request

I've got a project that is calling for internally and externally threaded
stainless tubing. I'm having a hard time finding what I need, so I
thought I'd ask here before I draw up a plan and get a quote from a local
machine shop.

What I need is something like this:

| \\ | | // |
| // | | \\ |
| \\ | | // |
| // | | \\ |

With the inner hole on the externally threaded tubing being .055-.070 and
the thread size being 8-32 (one size up or down would be fine, but 10-32
is pushing it) and the OD of the internally threaded tubing being about
1/4". I need them about 1/2" long, though longer is fine, as I can cut
them down to size.

I'm looking for about 300-500 of each.

Thanks for any help!

Also, I'm looking for either split brass tubing, or bead rolled brass
strip. It need to go on/around 22ga stainless. Say between 1/8"-1/4" OD.

The final effect is something like this:
http://www.sunshadowdesign.com/galle...et/duncan2.jpg

(Not my work, just found something of similar style)

Thansk again!
Todd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.sunshadowdesign.com/galle...duncancoronet/

duncan2.jpg

(Not my work, just found something of similar style)

Thansk again!
Todd

Find the appropriate sized tubing and thread it yourself?

How deep do you need the threads on the inside-threaded part?

Threading some varieties of stainless is a real treat, if you like
cussing and broken taps. I'd check McMaster and other sources out there
for what alloys are available, then I'd check back here for what may be
machinable.

If your outer-threaded parts are short enough you may be able to drill
out screws.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Forget what they're called but you might want to get in touch with
the folks who make things like nutserts. I've seen these things used to
install a bolt-to point in soft materials like endgrain wood, etc.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Isn't what you are describing called a "thread repair insert"?

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you decide to go custom machine, let my son have a shot at it. He just
got a pink slip this afternoon. laid off for six weeks. My CHNC lathe could
turn these right out.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
If you decide to go custom machine, let my son have a shot at it. He just
got a pink slip this afternoon. laid off for six weeks. My CHNC lathe could
turn these right out.

Karl

Hey Karl,

I have a small job I've been wanting to have made.

If you would like to discuss it, drop me a line.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 May 2009 13:00:18 +0000 (UTC), the infamous Todd Rich
scrawled the following:

I've got a project that is calling for internally and externally threaded
stainless tubing. I'm having a hard time finding what I need, so I
thought I'd ask here before I draw up a plan and get a quote from a local
machine shop.

I've never seen that, at least that I can recall. Sorry. But I have a
smartarse comment below for you.

What I need is something like this:

| \\ | | // |
| // | | \\ |
| \\ | | // |
| // | | \\ |

Kewl, man. Ascii-paisley!

--
No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up.
--Lily Tomlin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
(snip)
Find the appropriate sized tubing and thread it yourself?

Thought about that, but the time involved for me to do it by hand (no
lathe) would make it unprofitable.

How deep do you need the threads on the inside-threaded part?

We were thinking all the way, but that was just a preference.

Threading some varieties of stainless is a real treat, if you like
cussing and broken taps. I'd check McMaster and other sources out there
for what alloys are available, then I'd check back here for what may be
machinable.

If your outer-threaded parts are short enough you may be able to drill
out screws.

I think I've convinced my partner on this project to go with brass now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

(snip)
Isn't what you are describing called a "thread repair insert"?

Ivan Vegvary

Close, but not quite. The press in inserts are close to what I want for
the external part, but threaded both sides versions aren't quite what I
need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Todd Rich wrote:
I've got a project that is calling for internally and externally threaded
stainless tubing. I'm having a hard time finding what I need, so I
thought I'd ask here before I draw up a plan and get a quote from a local
machine shop.

What I need is something like this:

| \\ | | // |
| // | | \\ |
| \\ | | // |
| // | | \\ |

Most of that part is called an:
"Half inch long 8-32 hex standoff"
They are available in aluminum, brass and stainless.

Buy a bunch and send them to a guy with a lathe to cut the external
thread, would be my advice.

Have a look at the 1923B for example:
http://www.keyelco.com/products/specs/spec18.asp

--Winston

--

Don't *faff*, dear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Todd Rich wrote:
I've got a project that is calling for internally and externally threaded
stainless tubing. I'm having a hard time finding what I need, so I
thought I'd ask here before I draw up a plan and get a quote from a local
machine shop.

What I need is something like this:

| \\ | | // |
| // | | \\ |
| \\ | | // |
| // | | \\ |

Most of that part is called an:
"Half inch long 8-32 hex standoff"
They are available in aluminum, brass and stainless.

Buy a bunch and send them to a guy with a lathe to cut the external
thread, would be my advice.

Have a look at the 1923B for example:
http://www.keyelco.com/products/specs/spec18.asp

--Winston

Actually, that looks just about perfect. They even have a part builder.
I'm giving Karl first shot, but if not, looks like this place will have
what I need. Thank you!
Todd
P.S. The part that needs an external thread also needs a smooth through
hole in the center.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 12, 6:00*am, Todd Rich wrote:
I've got a project that is calling for internally and externally threaded
stainless tubing. *I'm having a hard time finding what I need,

Others have suggested buying massproduced spacers and
adding external threading; in terms of a short shop job, you
could also buy massproduced allthread rod (1/4-28 stainless)
and drill/tap a soft 5C collet to hold little bits of it for
drilling/threading in a lathe.

It might be easier to hold by the big external (threaded) surface
and do the small hole, than to hold it by the hole and
thread the outer diameter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Todd Rich wrote:
(...)

P.S. The part that needs an external thread also needs a smooth through
hole in the center.

Ah! Now I see what you are doing.

Just through - drill these in a lathe 'soft collet' for the inside part:
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,13248.html

Your pilot hole is the center of the cup.

--Winston
--

Don't *faff*, dear.

Another OT request Mary Fisher UK diy 5 September 7th 08 08:38 PM
request [email protected] Woodworking 12 February 13th 08 07:15 AM
request grupa hr+ szkolenia rekrutacja Woodworking 0 February 6th 08 09:57 PM
request grupa hr+ szkolenia rekrutacja Electronics Repair 0 February 6th 08 09:54 PM
request grupa hr+ szkolenia rekrutacja Home Repair 2 February 5th 08 10:54 PM