Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Todd Rich Todd Rich is offline

Default Weird hardware request

Winston wrote:
Todd Rich wrote:
I've got a project that is calling for internally and externally threaded
stainless tubing. I'm having a hard time finding what I need, so I
thought I'd ask here before I draw up a plan and get a quote from a local
machine shop.

What I need is something like this:

| \\ | | // |
| // | | \\ |
| \\ | | // |
| // | | \\ |

Most of that part is called an:
"Half inch long 8-32 hex standoff"
They are available in aluminum, brass and stainless.

Buy a bunch and send them to a guy with a lathe to cut the external
thread, would be my advice.

Have a look at the 1923B for example:
http://www.keyelco.com/products/specs/spec18.asp

--Winston

Actually, that looks just about perfect. They even have a part builder.
I'm giving Karl first shot, but if not, looks like this place will have
what I need. Thank you!
Todd
P.S. The part that needs an external thread also needs a smooth through
hole in the center.