Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question antique bench drill

Below is the link to a photo of a simple little drill press which I
inherited. It was my dad's and part of an outfit of which the main
element was a small Goodell-Pratt metal lathe. I think he probably had
the lathe, a grinding wheel and this drill set up in some sort of
combo fashion with perhaps a line shaft to distribute power from a
single quarter-horse motor. However, I have no idea how the different
tools were arranged or what the drive system was for this drill. Would
like to set it up and have it operational again for sentimental
reasons. Wonder if anybody's familiar with such an item and has any
idea what kind of belt would've been used and how it might have been
rigged. Thanks much.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/3520129877/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 10, 8:49*pm, ghb624 wrote:
Below is the link to a photo of a simple little drill press which I
inherited. It was my dad's and part of an outfit of which the main
element was a small Goodell-Pratt metal lathe. I think he probably had
the lathe, a grinding wheel and this drill set up in some sort of
combo fashion with perhaps a line shaft to distribute power from a
single quarter-horse motor. However, I have no idea how the different
tools were arranged or what the drive system was for this drill. Would
like to set it up and have it operational again for sentimental
reasons. Wonder if anybody's familiar with such an item and has any
idea what kind of belt would've been used and how it might have been
rigged. Thanks much.http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/3520129877/

The left picture makes it look like it's supposed to be connected to
an overhead line shaft, but the right clearly shows that the belt
would loop over and not under the two rear jockey pulleys. My guess
would be that there would be a motor to the rear, either that or it
hooks onto the lathe headstock drive pulley. Typically, the motor
would be hinged so it would hang on the belt to tension it, would be
end-on to the user. You can see ads for this sort of drill in the pre-
war back issues of The Model Engineer. Since there's only a fixed
chuck, they were pretty cheap back then, no fancy quill to machine
up. The belt might have been round leather or even hemp rope. Rope
drive was popular back in the days of slow steam power and textile
mills. Most of the old stuff I've seen in the US has been flat belt
drive, even old farmer's post drills.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 May 2009 19:49:37 -0700 (PDT), ghb624
wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/3520129877/

Some absoulutely magnificent photography in your collection!

I bow before a Master!!!

Well worth a look, everyone!! Check out his entire collection.

The drill press btw..is run by an overhead drive, or a rear mounted
motor.

Gunner, who loves MANY of his photos..including:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31977062@N03/2996989866/

And

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31977062@N03/2992700855/

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The drill presses I've seen that are this style are driven by a motor placed
directly behind the column of the drill press (shaft end pointing toward the
column).
The motor would be secured to the same surface that the drill press base is
mounted to (or both items could be secured to a benchtop).

You would want a motor that rotates CCW for the drills to turn in the
correct direction. The pulleys look like they'd accept a round belt.

It's possible that the drill press was run from the lathe headstock pulleys,
with the drill press located behind the headstock (securely mounted to the
same surface as the lathe), facing to the rear. It wouldn't matter that the
belt would change planes (have a twist) if a round belt is used.
The lathe motor would probably be located below the lathe if the drill press
was intended to be powered from the lathe, behind the headstock.

The orientation of the pulleys doesn't appear to be correct for an overhead
line shaft belt drive. You can check that with a loop of string.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"ghb624" wrote in message
Below is the link to a photo of a simple little drill press which I
inherited. It was my dad's and part of an outfit of which the main
element was a small Goodell-Pratt metal lathe. I think he probably had
the lathe, a grinding wheel and this drill set up in some sort of
combo fashion with perhaps a line shaft to distribute power from a
single quarter-horse motor. However, I have no idea how the different
tools were arranged or what the drive system was for this drill. Would
like to set it up and have it operational again for sentimental
reasons. Wonder if anybody's familiar with such an item and has any
idea what kind of belt would've been used and how it might have been
rigged. Thanks much.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/3520129877/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ghb624" wrote in message

Below is the link to a photo of a simple little drill press which I
inherited. It was my dad's and part of an outfit of which the main
element was a small Goodell-Pratt metal lathe. I think he probably had
the lathe, a grinding wheel and this drill set up in some sort of
combo fashion with perhaps a line shaft to distribute power from a
single quarter-horse motor. However, I have no idea how the different
tools were arranged or what the drive system was for this drill. Would
like to set it up and have it operational again for sentimental
reasons. Wonder if anybody's familiar with such an item and has any
idea what kind of belt would've been used and how it might have been
rigged. Thanks much.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/3520129877/

The belt could be a vee belt. I have a Cub Cadet lawn mower that uses
a vee belt and uses two idler pulleys to change the direction so that
a horizontal motor drives a vertical mowing blade.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ghb624" wrote in message

[...]

no.
that old classic design used round section leather belts.

the modern day joinable round section polyurethane belts would be a
good modern alternative to leather.

stealth pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've seen those drills with the motor mounted flat to the bench. In this
case, it could have been mounted off the head stock end of a lathe, use
one motor to drive both.

The thing that caught my eye is the fact that the spindle does not move:
the table is raised to bring the material up to the drill instead of
down into the material.

ghb624 wrote:
Below is the link to a photo of a simple little drill press which I
inherited. It was my dad's and part of an outfit of which the main
element was a small Goodell-Pratt metal lathe. I think he probably had
the lathe, a grinding wheel and this drill set up in some sort of
combo fashion with perhaps a line shaft to distribute power from a
single quarter-horse motor. However, I have no idea how the different
tools were arranged or what the drive system was for this drill. Would
like to set it up and have it operational again for sentimental
reasons. Wonder if anybody's familiar with such an item and has any
idea what kind of belt would've been used and how it might have been
rigged. Thanks much.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/3520129877/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 11, 3:26*pm, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

no.
that old classic design used round section leather belts.

the modern day joinable round section polyurethane belts would be a
good modern alternative to leather.

stealth pilot

You are probably right. I can not see the photo well enough to tell
how the groove in the pulleys is shaped. But Vee belts are used in
drives that change direction.

I looked in W.W. Grainger catalog. They do not give those round belts
away.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

no.
that old classic design used round section leather belts.

the modern day joinable round section polyurethane belts would be a
good modern alternative to leather.

stealth pilot

You are probably right. I can not see the photo well enough to tell
how the groove in the pulleys is shaped. But Vee belts are used in
drives that change direction.

I looked in W.W. Grainger catalog. They do not give those round belts
away.

Dan

Round urethane belts are reasonably priced at McMaster. But depending
on the load and the size and durometer of the belt, urethane may be
unacceptably stretchy. McMaster also carries round leather belting and
splices. Both urethane and leather are on p. 1031.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There have been numerous drill press designs that have utilized tables that
are raised instead of spindles that are lowered.

Dumore still uses a moving table on their 16 Series sensitive drill press,
although there is a handwheel with a rank and pinion (instead of a lever).
http://www.dumorecorp.com/drills.htm#16

Dumore has used this same technique for decades on their small drill
presses, but these models aren't belt driven. There may have been a Dumore
model from the 1920s that was belt driven, but a very light-duty machine.

Other models I've seen that used levers to rise the tables, were mostly home
shop handyman or hobbiest level drill presses from around the '40s or '50s..
the kinds that would most likely have been advertised in the back sections
of handy-type magazines.
I think the concept my have led to the lever-type designs where an electric
drill motor was attached to the mechanism to create an improvised drill
press from a handheld drill motor.

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

m...

ghb624 wrote:
Below is the link to a photo of a simple little drill press which I
inherited. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/3520129877/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You're correct Dan, a belt that changes planes wouldn't have to be a round
belt.

I think the first application that I paid attention to was the Corvair
fan/generator drive belt.
Since then, I've seen many applications where V-belts (and double Vs) were
used in a variety of ways.
Lawn tractors have used V-belts like this, a lot.

Round belts were a lot more popular decades ago, than they have been in
recent years. Many of the applications were light-duty, such as the long
articulating arms of antique dental drills.

--

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks much for all the good inputs, guys.

Jerry