Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Question antique bench drill

I've seen those drills with the motor mounted flat to the bench. In this
case, it could have been mounted off the head stock end of a lathe, use
one motor to drive both.

The thing that caught my eye is the fact that the spindle does not move:
the table is raised to bring the material up to the drill instead of
down into the material.

ghb624 wrote:
Below is the link to a photo of a simple little drill press which I
inherited. It was my dad's and part of an outfit of which the main
element was a small Goodell-Pratt metal lathe. I think he probably had
the lathe, a grinding wheel and this drill set up in some sort of
combo fashion with perhaps a line shaft to distribute power from a
single quarter-horse motor. However, I have no idea how the different
tools were arranged or what the drive system was for this drill. Would
like to set it up and have it operational again for sentimental
reasons. Wonder if anybody's familiar with such an item and has any
idea what kind of belt would've been used and how it might have been
rigged. Thanks much.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/3520129877/