Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Question antique bench drill

You're correct Dan, a belt that changes planes wouldn't have to be a round
belt.

I think the first application that I paid attention to was the Corvair
fan/generator drive belt.
Since then, I've seen many applications where V-belts (and double Vs) were
used in a variety of ways.
Lawn tractors have used V-belts like this, a lot.

Round belts were a lot more popular decades ago, than they have been in
recent years. Many of the applications were light-duty, such as the long
articulating arms of antique dental drills.

--
WB
metalworking projects

wrote in message
"ghb624" wrote in message

Below is the link to a photo of a simple little drill press which I
inherited. It was my dad's and part of an outfit of which the main
element was a small Goodell-Pratt metal lathe. I think he probably had
the lathe, a grinding wheel and this drill set up in some sort of
combo fashion with perhaps a line shaft to distribute power from a
single quarter-horse motor. However, I have no idea how the different
tools were arranged or what the drive system was for this drill. Would
like to set it up and have it operational again for sentimental
reasons. Wonder if anybody's familiar with such an item and has any
idea what kind of belt would've been used and how it might have been
rigged. Thanks much.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/3520129877/

The belt could be a vee belt. I have a Cub Cadet lawn mower that uses
a vee belt and uses two idler pulleys to change the direction so that
a horizontal motor drives a vertical mowing blade.

Dan