Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Question antique bench drill

On May 10, 8:49*pm, ghb624 wrote:
Below is the link to a photo of a simple little drill press which I
inherited. It was my dad's and part of an outfit of which the main
element was a small Goodell-Pratt metal lathe. I think he probably had
the lathe, a grinding wheel and this drill set up in some sort of
combo fashion with perhaps a line shaft to distribute power from a
single quarter-horse motor. However, I have no idea how the different
tools were arranged or what the drive system was for this drill. Would
like to set it up and have it operational again for sentimental
reasons. Wonder if anybody's familiar with such an item and has any
idea what kind of belt would've been used and how it might have been
rigged. Thanks much.http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/3520129877/

The left picture makes it look like it's supposed to be connected to
an overhead line shaft, but the right clearly shows that the belt
would loop over and not under the two rear jockey pulleys. My guess
would be that there would be a motor to the rear, either that or it
hooks onto the lathe headstock drive pulley. Typically, the motor
would be hinged so it would hang on the belt to tension it, would be
end-on to the user. You can see ads for this sort of drill in the pre-
war back issues of The Model Engineer. Since there's only a fixed
chuck, they were pretty cheap back then, no fancy quill to machine
up. The belt might have been round leather or even hemp rope. Rope
drive was popular back in the days of slow steam power and textile
mills. Most of the old stuff I've seen in the US has been flat belt
drive, even old farmer's post drills.

Stan