Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is the steel in hydraulic pistons?

I was asking recently about the HF 12" slip rolls (1" diam rolls). The
replies led me to believe that they would be too wimpy. Since I don't
have room for a bigger one, I'm going to make my own: beefy (2" rolls),
but small (12", 40-45lbs). I don't think that I've ever rolled anything
bigger than 12" & I have a neighbor with 36" rolls if I do.

I'm wondering if pistons from hydraulic cylinders would make good rolls.
Specifically, how hard would they be to machine? Even if I find the
right diameter, I would need to turn down the ends.

Is 2" a common diameter for hyd pistons?

I occasionally see cylinders at the dump, but not frequently enough to
wait for. So, do you think that I could find some, somewhere?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I was asking recently about the HF 12" slip rolls (1" diam rolls). The
replies led me to believe that they would be too wimpy. Since I don't have
room for a bigger one, I'm going to make my own: beefy (2" rolls), but
small (12", 40-45lbs). I don't think that I've ever rolled anything bigger
than 12" & I have a neighbor with 36" rolls if I do.

I'm wondering if pistons from hydraulic cylinders would make good rolls.
Specifically, how hard would they be to machine? Even if I find the right
diameter, I would need to turn down the ends.

Is 2" a common diameter for hyd pistons?

I occasionally see cylinders at the dump, but not frequently enough to
wait for. So, do you think that I could find some, somewhere?

Thanks,
Bob

From what I have seen I don't think they are too hard. The chrome plating is
where the hardness comes in to the picture. Scored rods should be available
at hydraulic or heavy equipment repair shops.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Up North" wrote in message

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I was asking recently about the HF 12" slip rolls (1" diam rolls). The
replies led me to believe that they would be too wimpy. Since I don't
have room for a bigger one, I'm going to make my own: beefy (2" rolls),
but small (12", 40-45lbs). I don't think that I've ever rolled anything
bigger than 12" & I have a neighbor with 36" rolls if I do.

I'm wondering if pistons from hydraulic cylinders would make good rolls.
Specifically, how hard would they be to machine? Even if I find the
right diameter, I would need to turn down the ends.

Is 2" a common diameter for hyd pistons?

I occasionally see cylinders at the dump, but not frequently enough to
wait for. So, do you think that I could find some, somewhere?

Thanks,
Bob

From what I have seen I don't think they are too hard. The chrome plating
is where the hardness comes in to the picture. Scored rods should be
available at hydraulic or heavy equipment repair shops.
Steve

My experience as well. All the cylinder rods I have seen get their corrosion
and wear resistance from thin chrome plating. After the first cut, the
material is rather soft. Constructing rolls with them would most likely
result in a lot of cracked chrome. However, on the other hand, I don't thing
hardness is really required for a good set of rolls. Perhaps cutting 2" rods
down to 1.95" or so, to true them up, could make them quite usable for your
rolls.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 6, 6:49*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I was asking recently about the HF 12" slip rolls (1" diam rolls). *The
replies led me to believe that they would be too wimpy. *Since I don't
have room for a bigger one, I'm going to make my own: beefy (2" rolls),
but small (12", 40-45lbs). *I don't think that I've ever rolled anything
bigger than 12" & I have a neighbor with *36" rolls if I do.

I'm wondering if pistons from hydraulic cylinders would make good rolls.
* Specifically, how hard would they be to machine? *Even if I find the
right diameter, I would need to turn down the ends.

Is 2" a common diameter for hyd pistons?

I occasionally see cylinders at the dump, but not frequently enough to
wait for. *So, do you think that I could find some, somewhere?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi, Bob.
I think, perhaps, you mean the cylinder rods. The pistons on the scoop
on my old Kubota are brass, about 4 inches long, with several "O"
rings. The rods are screwed into the piston, as I recall. I had to
have one unit rebuilt and they used a plasma torch to cut the end of
the rod and didn't seem to have any effect on the rest of the rod. I
doubt they are plated, as they will rust if left exposed to the
weather very long.

Suggest you find a hydraulic cylinder repair shop and see what they
have in the scrap bin.

An alternative, if you can get by with a rod with a small hole in the
center, is to use a drill rod from a rock drill. They are obviously
really tough and hard. When a crew was drilling and blasting near our
place in Redmond, OR, they broke the end off a drill rod and then when
off and left it. So, naturally, I found it and it is in my stash of
steel. If you were closer, you could have it, or anyone else, for that
matter. They are threaded for about 8 inches on each end, but are
about 10 feet long.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim wrote:
"Up North" wrote
From what I have seen I don't think they are too hard. The chrome plating
is where the hardness comes in to the picture. Scored rods should be
available at hydraulic or heavy equipment repair shops.
Steve

My experience as well. All the cylinder rods I have seen get their corrosion
and wear resistance from thin chrome plating. After the first cut, the
material is rather soft. ...

Steve, Tim - thanks. For all that I knew, the rods were stainless.
Chrome plated makes more sense & is better for me. There's a repair
shop not far - so I'll check 'em out.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KD7HB wrote:
I think, perhaps, you mean the cylinder rods. The pistons on the scoop
on my old Kubota are brass, about 4 inches long, with several "O"
rings. The rods are screwed into the piston, as I recall. ...

Ah, I didn't know that - thanks. It helps to know the right words,
especially when you walk into a shop.

Suggest you find a hydraulic cylinder repair shop and see what they
have in the scrap bin.

Yep, I'm on it.

An alternative, if you can get by with a rod with a small hole in the
center, is to use a drill rod from a rock drill. They are obviously
really tough and hard. ...

Maybe if the hydraulic rod doesn't work out. I'd rather not machine
"tough & hard".

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 May 2009 09:49:50 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I was asking recently about the HF 12" slip rolls (1" diam rolls). The
replies led me to believe that they would be too wimpy. Since I don't
have room for a bigger one, I'm going to make my own: beefy (2" rolls),
but small (12", 40-45lbs). I don't think that I've ever rolled anything
bigger than 12" & I have a neighbor with 36" rolls if I do.

I'm wondering if pistons from hydraulic cylinders would make good rolls.
Specifically, how hard would they be to machine? Even if I find the
right diameter, I would need to turn down the ends.

Is 2" a common diameter for hyd pistons?

I occasionally see cylinders at the dump, but not frequently enough to
wait for. So, do you think that I could find some, somewhere?

Normally it's 1045 steel TGP (turned, ground and polished). Can be
surface hardened to a few thou deep or as much as 1/16 deep. Or it
can be soft. Either way it's got chrome plating for rust resistance
and a smooth finish for the seals.

You can buy it from a steel supplier, not all have it but it's not
that rare either.

http://www.crconline.com/Components/...cts/index.html

see above for specs.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
| KD7HB wrote:
| I think, perhaps, you mean the cylinder rods. The pistons on the scoop
| on my old Kubota are brass, about 4 inches long, with several "O"
| rings. The rods are screwed into the piston, as I recall. ...
|
| Ah, I didn't know that - thanks. It helps to know the right words,
| especially when you walk into a shop.

Actually the more appropriate term for the part is "piston rod". It's the
part that transmits the useful force from the action of the hydraulic
pressure on the piston.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KD7HB wrote:
[...]

I was talking to an engineer at a company I do work for about the
chromed ground bar they use and he said this was not an issue, it was a
standard product and able to pass rigorous salt spray tests.

weather very long.

Suggest you find a hydraulic cylinder repair shop and see what they
have in the scrap bin.

An alternative, if you can get by with a rod with a small hole in the
center, is to use a drill rod from a rock drill. They are obviously
really tough and hard. When a crew was drilling and blasting near our
place in Redmond, OR, they broke the end off a drill rod and then when
off and left it. So, naturally, I found it and it is in my stash of
steel. If you were closer, you could have it, or anyone else, for that
matter. They are threaded for about 8 inches on each end, but are
about 10 feet long.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 6, 9:49*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I was asking recently about the HF 12" slip rolls (1" diam rolls). *The
replies led me to believe that they would be too wimpy. *Since I don't
have room for a bigger one, I'm going to make my own: beefy (2" rolls),
but small (12", 40-45lbs). *I don't think that I've ever rolled anything
bigger than 12" & I have a neighbor with *36" rolls if I do.

I'm wondering if pistons from hydraulic cylinders would make good rolls.
* Specifically, how hard would they be to machine? *Even if I find the
right diameter, I would need to turn down the ends....

Thanks,
Bob

Here are some examples:
http://baileynet.com/index.php?id=60

The few pieces of scrap piston rod I've turned required carbide to
break through the chrome and case hardening, then HSS would cut it
with decent tool life and a smooth finish like drill rod. One or two
pieces seemed to be a free-machining steel.

A higher grade or hardness doesn't make the rolls stiffer, you know,
only a larger diameter will do that.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DT wrote:
Check Craigslist for a used Olympic barbell. The ends are 50mm and about
18" long. ...

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I've scrounged a 1" barbell, but
haven't seen any 2". "Olympic" is probably key. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DT wrote:
Now that I think about it, I have a specialty bar left over. It is about 3
feet long and seems to be stainless steel. It is a constant diameter,
probably 2" rather than 50mm. You can have it if you are near Cleveland.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer. But I'm near Boston. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 May 2009 15:40:04 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

[...]

For cutting a cylinder rod..simply chuck it in the lathe, put some
paper/foil/cloth down and spin up the lathe while you hit the chrome
with the edge of your angle grinder. Cuts off the chrome in a couple
seconds and then you can part off the rod easily .

Done hundreds of them

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
For cutting a cylinder rod..simply chuck it in the lathe, put some
paper/foil/cloth down and spin up the lathe while you hit the chrome
with the edge of your angle grinder. Cuts off the chrome in a couple
seconds and then you can part off the rod easily .

By implication, one should not try to part it without removing the
chrome first. Yes?

Done hundreds of them

How do you come by all these rods? 'Course your being an Ultimate
Scrounger, your methods may not apply to us mortals. G

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 May 2009 13:50:20 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
For cutting a cylinder rod..simply chuck it in the lathe, put some
paper/foil/cloth down and spin up the lathe while you hit the chrome
with the edge of your angle grinder. Cuts off the chrome in a couple
seconds and then you can part off the rod easily .

By implication, one should not try to part it without removing the
chrome first. Yes?

Depends on how stiff your lathe is..and how good your carbide cut off
tooling is.

But yah..Id slice the chrome first. Its fast and painless.

Done hundreds of them

How do you come by all these rods? 'Course your being an Ultimate
Scrounger, your methods may not apply to us mortals. G

Bob

I happen to live in the oil fields. Lots of hydraulics kicking around.
Ive done a bit of rework/repair/mods for some of the local guys. Shrug

I DO have a home shop with 2 Hardinge tool room lathes and a 1501 15"
lathe. Plus the mills etc etc. And the welding shop...

While I dont consider myself a "machinist"...Ive picked up a bit here
and there.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Adams Steel ? (Chicago area steel supplier) Albert Metalworking 2 October 31st 07 08:23 PM
HYDRAULIC PRESS J T Woodworking 0 March 8th 06 02:11 PM
Cutting Automotive Shock Pistons? Donnie Barnes Metalworking 16 November 10th 05 05:23 AM
Blasting medium for IC engine pistons? Anthony Metalworking 2 March 29th 05 05:22 PM
Hydraulic noise Lloyd E. Sponenburgh Metalworking 13 January 9th 05 05:52 AM