Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is the steel in hydraulic pistons?

Tim wrote:
"Up North" wrote
From what I have seen I don't think they are too hard. The chrome plating
is where the hardness comes in to the picture. Scored rods should be
available at hydraulic or heavy equipment repair shops.
Steve

My experience as well. All the cylinder rods I have seen get their corrosion
and wear resistance from thin chrome plating. After the first cut, the
material is rather soft. ...

Steve, Tim - thanks. For all that I knew, the rods were stainless.
Chrome plated makes more sense & is better for me. There's a repair
shop not far - so I'll check 'em out.

Bob