Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default What is the steel in hydraulic pistons?

On May 6, 9:49*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I was asking recently about the HF 12" slip rolls (1" diam rolls). *The
replies led me to believe that they would be too wimpy. *Since I don't
have room for a bigger one, I'm going to make my own: beefy (2" rolls),
but small (12", 40-45lbs). *I don't think that I've ever rolled anything
bigger than 12" & I have a neighbor with *36" rolls if I do.

I'm wondering if pistons from hydraulic cylinders would make good rolls.
* Specifically, how hard would they be to machine? *Even if I find the
right diameter, I would need to turn down the ends....

Thanks,
Bob

Here are some examples:
http://baileynet.com/index.php?id=60

The few pieces of scrap piston rod I've turned required carbide to
break through the chrome and case hardening, then HSS would cut it
with decent tool life and a smooth finish like drill rod. One or two
pieces seemed to be a free-machining steel.

A higher grade or hardness doesn't make the rolls stiffer, you know,
only a larger diameter will do that.

jsw