Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default What is the steel in hydraulic pistons?

KD7HB wrote:
On May 6, 6:49 am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I was asking recently about the HF 12" slip rolls (1" diam rolls). The
replies led me to believe that they would be too wimpy. Since I don't
have room for a bigger one, I'm going to make my own: beefy (2" rolls),
but small (12", 40-45lbs). I don't think that I've ever rolled anything
bigger than 12" & I have a neighbor with 36" rolls if I do.

I'm wondering if pistons from hydraulic cylinders would make good rolls.
Specifically, how hard would they be to machine? Even if I find the
right diameter, I would need to turn down the ends.

Is 2" a common diameter for hyd pistons?

I occasionally see cylinders at the dump, but not frequently enough to
wait for. So, do you think that I could find some, somewhere?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi, Bob.
I think, perhaps, you mean the cylinder rods. The pistons on the scoop
on my old Kubota are brass, about 4 inches long, with several "O"
rings. The rods are screwed into the piston, as I recall. I had to
have one unit rebuilt and they used a plasma torch to cut the end of
the rod and didn't seem to have any effect on the rest of the rod. I
doubt they are plated, as they will rust if left exposed to the

I was talking to an engineer at a company I do work for about the
chromed ground bar they use and he said this was not an issue, it was a
standard product and able to pass rigorous salt spray tests.

weather very long.

Suggest you find a hydraulic cylinder repair shop and see what they
have in the scrap bin.

An alternative, if you can get by with a rod with a small hole in the
center, is to use a drill rod from a rock drill. They are obviously
really tough and hard. When a crew was drilling and blasting near our
place in Redmond, OR, they broke the end off a drill rod and then when
off and left it. So, naturally, I found it and it is in my stash of
steel. If you were closer, you could have it, or anyone else, for that
matter. They are threaded for about 8 inches on each end, but are
about 10 feet long.

Paul