Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 5C collet closing force

Does anyone have an idea of how much pulling force is required to hold a detail in a 5C
collet?

As soon as it warms up, I'm going to make a drawtube. At the moment, I'm thinking a
thrust bearing and hand wheel is how I will build it.

The right hollow shaft cylinder and a deublin coupler has something going for it too.

Springs might work also, that seems to be how it is normally done commercially.

Thanks,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have an idea of how much pulling force is required to hold a
detail in a 5C
collet?

I normally run my air collet closer at 40 PSI. The cylinder it pushes on is
about 5" OD minus the drawtube ID of about 2". I get around 15 sq in or 600
lb. force. this is only an approximation, I didn't take the closer apart for
exact figures.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:18:56 -0400, Wes wrote:

Does anyone have an idea of how much pulling force is required to hold a detail in a 5C
collet?

As soon as it warms up, I'm going to make a drawtube. At the moment, I'm thinking a
thrust bearing and hand wheel is how I will build it.

The right hollow shaft cylinder and a deublin coupler has something going for it too.

Springs might work also, that seems to be how it is normally done commercially.

Thanks,

Wes

I probably have a couple 5C collet closers around here. Need one? Ive
got some Dunhams kicking around. 19:1 holding pressure.

What are you trying to do with it?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have an idea of how much pulling force is required to hold a
detail in a 5C
collet?

I normally run my air collet closer at 40 PSI. The cylinder it pushes on is
about 5" OD minus the drawtube ID of about 2". I get around 15 sq in or 600
lb. force. this is only an approximation, I didn't take the closer apart for
exact figures.

Karl

That helps. Thanks

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 2, 7:18*pm, Wes wrote:
Does anyone have an idea of how much pulling force is required to hold a detail in a 5C
collet?....
Wes

My lathe came with a longer 5C handwheel closer from a larger lathe. I
made a brass shouldered bushing to fit into the spindle and put a
split shaft clamp and washers on the closer. That plain bearing was
good enough until I cut a coarse thread in 1" stainless. To tighten it
a little more I added a needle thrust bearing. The collet adapter
lacks the guide pin but collets don't turn in it.

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

My lathe came with a longer 5C handwheel closer from a larger lathe. I
made a brass shouldered bushing to fit into the spindle and put a
split shaft clamp and washers on the closer. That plain bearing was
good enough until I cut a coarse thread in 1" stainless. To tighten it
a little more I added a needle thrust bearing. The collet adapter
lacks the guide pin but collets don't turn in it.

Yup, likely I'm going with the handwheel for starts and I've done enough research to not
even try this w/o rolling element bearings at the handwheel side.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 17:41:07 -0400, Wes wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

My lathe came with a longer 5C handwheel closer from a larger lathe. I
made a brass shouldered bushing to fit into the spindle and put a
split shaft clamp and washers on the closer. That plain bearing was
good enough until I cut a coarse thread in 1" stainless. To tighten it
a little more I added a needle thrust bearing. The collet adapter
lacks the guide pin but collets don't turn in it.

Yup, likely I'm going with the handwheel for starts and I've done enough research to not
even try this w/o rolling element bearings at the handwheel side.

Wes

To be fair, the 5C square and hexagonal 5C holders that are sold for use as
fixtures have either a simple toggle clamp or a 20tpi pin-spanner collar for
clamping and they are perfectly adequate for the majority of turning and
milling loads. Not up to holding a milling cutter though. So you might not
need too much force. if the part is more than a few thou off size, that can
make a big difference in the clamping force needed.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have an idea of how much pulling force is required to hold a
detail in a 5C
collet?

As soon as it warms up, I'm going to make a drawtube. At the moment, I'm
thinking a
thrust bearing and hand wheel is how I will build it.

The right hollow shaft cylinder and a deublin coupler has something going
for it too.

Springs might work also, that seems to be how it is normally done
commercially.

Thanks,

Wes

!

What are you doing? Is this going to be one of your "Hold my beer and watch
THIS!" moments?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

To be fair, the 5C square and hexagonal 5C holders that are sold for use as
fixtures have either a simple toggle clamp or a 20tpi pin-spanner collar for
clamping and they are perfectly adequate for the majority of turning and
milling loads. Not up to holding a milling cutter though. So you might not
need too much force. if the part is more than a few thou off size, that can
make a big difference in the clamping force needed.

Yeah, I've noticed my spin fixture seems to hold things okay but I'm rather light on the
cutting forces. This is in milling apps. I know if I pushed it, the workpiece would move
on me.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote:

What are you doing? Is this going to be one of your "Hold my beer and watch
THIS!" moments?

Nothing crazy, I've got a spindle adaptor to use 5C collets, just need a closer. How much
force that is typically applied to hold stock in the 5C range of capacity is data I'd like
to have filed away.

WEs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 4, 4:40*pm, Wes wrote:
"Buerste" wrote:
What are you doing? *Is this going to be one of your "Hold my beer and watch
THIS!" moments?

Nothing crazy, I've got a spindle adaptor to use 5C collets, just need a closer. *How much
force that is typically applied to hold stock in the 5C range of capacity is data I'd like
to have filed away.

WEs

The pin spanner on my 5C collet block set is 6-1/4" long. Hand
tightening the steel / steel plain bearing isn't quite enough and
usually I need to tap it with a rubber hammer to keep the work from
slipping. On the lathe I pulled it pretty snug with two hands before
adding the thrust bearing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

I probably have a couple 5C collet closers around here. Need one? Ive
got some Dunhams kicking around. 19:1 holding pressure.

What are you trying to do with it?

I have a clausing 6903, I have the adaptor to mate the spindle taper to a 5C collet. I
also have a chunk of 4130 tubing to make the drawbar. Just want to make a closer. Most
people make a hand wheel type but you never know what you might latch on to when you scrap
out lines and such at work.

Now I have an idea of what force needs to be applied to hold a work piece.