Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default 5C collet closing force

Mark Rand wrote:

To be fair, the 5C square and hexagonal 5C holders that are sold for use as
fixtures have either a simple toggle clamp or a 20tpi pin-spanner collar for
clamping and they are perfectly adequate for the majority of turning and
milling loads. Not up to holding a milling cutter though. So you might not
need too much force. if the part is more than a few thou off size, that can
make a big difference in the clamping force needed.

Yeah, I've noticed my spin fixture seems to hold things okay but I'm rather light on the
cutting forces. This is in milling apps. I know if I pushed it, the workpiece would move
on me.

Wes