Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default 5C collet closing force

Jim Wilkins wrote:

My lathe came with a longer 5C handwheel closer from a larger lathe. I
made a brass shouldered bushing to fit into the spindle and put a
split shaft clamp and washers on the closer. That plain bearing was
good enough until I cut a coarse thread in 1" stainless. To tighten it
a little more I added a needle thrust bearing. The collet adapter
lacks the guide pin but collets don't turn in it.

Yup, likely I'm going with the handwheel for starts and I've done enough research to not
even try this w/o rolling element bearings at the handwheel side.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller