Bob Engelhardt

Default Really dumb question - 5C collet closing

How are 5C collets tightened? They're threaded inside & out, so I
suppose that a drawbar is used. But I don't see any drawbars for sale,
except really exotic ones for $100's. Is it just assumed that the
drawbar is something that comes with the lathe/mill/chuck? Or that one
just makes one's own?

Puzzled,
Bob
Robert Swinney

5C's are pulled against a taper in the nose piece that is placed in the
spindle. Inside threads of the drawbar mate with outside threads of the 5C
to provide pull. What may be confusing is the inside threads of 5C's.
AFAIK, those are there for mounting accessory collet stops, etc. They play
no role in 5C collett tightening.

Bob Swinney
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
How are 5C collets tightened? They're threaded inside & out, so I suppose
that a drawbar is used. But I don't see any drawbars for sale, except
really exotic ones for $100's. Is it just assumed that the drawbar is
something that comes with the lathe/mill/chuck? Or that one just makes
one's own?

Puzzled,
Bob

Bob Engelhardt

Robert Swinney wrote:

5C's are pulled against a taper in the nose piece that is placed in the
spindle. Inside threads of the drawbar mate with outside threads of the 5C
to provide pull. ...

Thanks. Now, how about something like a spin indexer that takes 5C
collets. Does it come with a closer? It doesn't say in the catalogs.
E.g.:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMT4NO=1074448

Or is that what the handle on the end does? I just assumed that the
handle was for turning the work.

Thanks,
Bob
Grant Erwin

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:

5C's are pulled against a taper in the nose piece that is placed in
the spindle. Inside threads of the drawbar mate with outside threads
of the 5C to provide pull. ...

Thanks. Now, how about something like a spin indexer that takes 5C
collets. Does it come with a closer? It doesn't say in the catalogs.
E.g.:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMT4NO=1074448

Or is that what the handle on the end does? I just assumed that the
handle was for turning the work.

They thought of that too, Bob -- order it with confidence. I have one of those
and it has worked great a couple times. You can buy a tailstock on ebay for
about $40 -- all of those have the same center height.

The interior threads are for installing a collet stop if you want to. You can
also buy 5C collets without them but they're harder to find. Note, a 1" collet
with interior threads will *not* pass a 1" bar through ..

GWE

ATP*

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
How are 5C collets tightened? They're threaded inside & out, so I suppose
that a drawbar is used. But I don't see any drawbars for sale, except
really exotic ones for $100's. Is it just assumed that the drawbar is
something that comes with the lathe/mill/chuck? Or that one just makes
one's own?

Puzzled,
Bob

Keep an eye on ebay- I eventually acquired a 5C drawbar for my SB 10L for
about $60 and the taper and thread protector added about $40. More than I
wanted to pay, but cheaper than the local dealer and a little below the
usual ebay prices. You can make your own but I was quite happy with the fit
and finish of the original South Bend drawbar. Duplicating it would not be a
trivial job in my estimation, especially if you had nothing to copy from.

George

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:

5C's are pulled against a taper in the nose piece that is placed in the
spindle. Inside threads of the drawbar mate with outside threads of the 5C
to provide pull. ...

Thanks. Now, how about something like a spin indexer that takes 5C
collets. Does it come with a closer? It doesn't say in the catalogs.
E.g.:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMT4NO=1074448

Or is that what the handle on the end does? I just assumed that the
handle was for turning the work.

You are correct on both counts.

The handle is attached to a sleeve that is threaded on the ID. The 5C
collet threads into that sleeve. Tighten the handle and draw the
collet down clamping the work. Then use the handle to turn the entire
assembly, dropping the pin in place at the rotational angle that you
want. That indexer can be positioned at any 1 degree increment, IOW:
It has 360 positions.

As others have said, the internal threads are used for a collet stop.
5C collets come both with internal threads and without them.

The Phase II Indexer is actually a decent tool. And I can't quibble
with MSC's price.

George.
Keith Marshall

The Phase II Indexer is actually a decent tool. And I can't quibble
with MSC's price.

Except that Enco, which is owned by MSC has the same one for $23 less:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=505-2280

and if you don't quite need the quality of Phase II the Enco version is in
their current sale catalog for $28.95. Or if you need much better quality
they have a Suburban brand version on sale for only $448.95! :-)

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"George" wrote in message
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:

[...]

Roy

Others posted what you asked, but they are a rather straight forward
project and not at all to make if you get tired of waiting for one to
show up on ebay. I have my design on my website
http://frugalmachinist.com and its also in the drop box as well as
others some of which are specifically for SB etc......

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:14:04 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

===How are 5C collets tightened? They're threaded inside & out, so I
===suppose that a drawbar is used. But I don't see any drawbars for sale,
===except really exotic ones for $100's. Is it just assumed that the
===drawbar is something that comes with the lathe/mill/chuck? Or that one
===just makes one's own?
===
===Puzzled,
===Bob