Robert Swinney

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:

5C's are pulled against a taper in the nose piece that is placed in the
spindle. Inside threads of the drawbar mate with outside threads of the
5C to provide pull. ...

Thanks. Now, how about something like a spin indexer that takes 5C
collets. Does it come with a closer? It doesn't say in the catalogs.
E.g.:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMT4NO=1074448

Or is that what the handle on the end does? I just assumed that the
handle was for turning the work.

They thought of that too, Bob -- order it with confidence. I have one of
those and it has worked great a couple times. You can buy a tailstock on
ebay for about $40 -- all of those have the same center height.

The interior threads are for installing a collet stop if you want to. You
can also buy 5C collets without them but they're harder to find. Note, a
1" collet with interior threads will *not* pass a 1" bar through ..

GWE