Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electrical schematics on Linux?

Ignoramus8285 wrote:
I have a couple of things that I have done and I want to write and
retain schematics of them. One is a fancy phase converter with two
idlers that are switched at different times. Another is a fancy wiring
scheme for my compressor, to permit "on demand" vs "continuous" run,
as well as a start button to prevent unintended starts.

I did it without drawing schematics just by keeping it in my head.

In any case, I still remember how I did my phase converter 4 years
ago, but I do not want to rely on my memory.

So. Is there some easy to use Linux software that is available under
ubuntu, that I could use to draw electrical schematics.

thanks

What is the matter with a pencil and paper?????
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-01, Lew Hartswick wrote:
Ignoramus8285 wrote:
I have a couple of things that I have done and I want to write and
retain schematics of them. One is a fancy phase converter with two
idlers that are switched at different times. Another is a fancy wiring
scheme for my compressor, to permit "on demand" vs "continuous" run,
as well as a start button to prevent unintended starts.

I did it without drawing schematics just by keeping it in my head.

In any case, I still remember how I did my phase converter 4 years
ago, but I do not want to rely on my memory.

So. Is there some easy to use Linux software that is available under
ubuntu, that I could use to draw electrical schematics.

thanks

What is the matter with a pencil and paper?????

Nothing wrong.

Personally, I like to keep everything in the computer, that way I do
not lose it.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-01, Lew Hartswick wrote:
Ignoramus8285 wrote:
I have a couple of things that I have done and I want to write and
retain schematics of them. One is a fancy phase converter with two
idlers that are switched at different times. Another is a fancy wiring
scheme for my compressor, to permit "on demand" vs "continuous" run,
as well as a start button to prevent unintended starts.

I did it without drawing schematics just by keeping it in my head.

In any case, I still remember how I did my phase converter 4 years
ago, but I do not want to rely on my memory.

So. Is there some easy to use Linux software that is available under
ubuntu, that I could use to draw electrical schematics.

thanks

What is the matter with a pencil and paper?????

Nothing wrong.

Personally, I like to keep everything in the computer, that way I do
not lose it.

There are many tools available free from PC board manufacturers,
possibly even some linux versions, if not then run under an emulator
perhaps?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-01, Lew Hartswick wrote:
Ignoramus8285 wrote:
[...]

I found Geda, which I liked enough because I could actually finish my
drawing. I did not find some symbols that I needed, like that of mag
starter, but I substituted something else.

The drawing, however lame, is he

http://tinyurl.com/d2sgw6

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25062 wrote:
What is the matter with a pencil and paper?????

Nothing wrong.

Personally, I like to keep everything in the computer, that way I do
not lose it.

OH!! Personally I like to keep things on paper that way I
don't loose it. :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:36:20 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus25062
scrawled the following:

On 2009-04-01, Lew Hartswick wrote:
Ignoramus8285 wrote:
I have a couple of things that I have done and I want to write and
retain schematics of them. One is a fancy phase converter with two
idlers that are switched at different times. Another is a fancy wiring
scheme for my compressor, to permit "on demand" vs "continuous" run,
as well as a start button to prevent unintended starts.

I did it without drawing schematics just by keeping it in my head.

In any case, I still remember how I did my phase converter 4 years
ago, but I do not want to rely on my memory.

So. Is there some easy to use Linux software that is available under
ubuntu, that I could use to draw electrical schematics.

thanks

What is the matter with a pencil and paper?????

Nothing wrong.

Personally, I like to keep everything in the computer, that way I do
not lose it.

No? Please tell us about your backup scheme! g

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 16:10:08 -0600, the infamous Lew Hartswick
scrawled the following:

Ignoramus25062 wrote:
What is the matter with a pencil and paper?????

Nothing wrong.

Personally, I like to keep everything in the computer, that way I do
not lose it.

OH!! Personally I like to keep things on paper that way I
don't loose it. :-)
...lew...

Congrats, Lew and Ig. You're the first among us who has never lost a
piece of paper or a bit of data from a computer, respectively.

We salute you. (OK, guys, both middle fingers NOW!

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.
-- Evan Esar
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-01, Lew Hartswick wrote:
Ignoramus8285 wrote:
[...]

I back up to a USB drive.

I also back up to work using rdiff-backup.

I also back up to another computer in the house.

All of this is done nightly and is verified.

I also like to change hard drives every three years or so.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25062 wrote:
What is the matter with a pencil and paper?????

Nothing wrong.

Personally, I like to keep everything in the computer, that way I do
not lose it.

OH!! Personally I like to keep things on paper that way I
don't loose it. :-)
...lew...

Congrats, Lew and Ig. You're the first among us who has never lost a
piece of paper or a bit of data from a computer, respectively.

We salute you. (OK, guys, both middle fingers NOW!

I never lost any data on my computer.

I take backups very seriously.

I consider backups to be the single most important task of any
computer.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12193 fired this volley
in news
"I don't gots no Schema on my 'IX box"... or some such.

Iggy, there are some fine freeware schematic capture packages for
WinBlows. I like and use ExpressPCB for prototyping, and love the
package for its net capture and interaction with the routing software.

What's keeping you from firing up an instance of WINE, and running
something like that?

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-02, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus12193 fired this volley
in news
"I don't gots no Schema on my 'IX box"... or some such.

Iggy, there are some fine freeware schematic capture packages for
WinBlows. I like and use ExpressPCB for prototyping, and love the
package for its net capture and interaction with the routing software.

What's keeping you from firing up an instance of WINE, and running
something like that?

I think that WINE has been overhyped, as a matter of reality most
things do not work under WINE, at least as far as I am concerned.

I found gEDA, which works fine as far as I could tell, and did a
schematic with gEDA. It was not too difficult. geda can also export to
jpeg. I have mastered, perhaps, 0.5% of its functionality.

Here's the schematic:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quin.../Schematic.jpg

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Ignoramus12193 fired this volley
in news
"I don't gots no Schema on my 'IX box"... or some such.

Iggy, there are some fine freeware schematic capture packages for
WinBlows. I like and use ExpressPCB for prototyping, and love the
package for its net capture and interaction with the routing software.

What's keeping you from firing up an instance of WINE, and running
something like that?

LLoyd

The developer of switcher cad claims that it works fine under Wine,
for those who are too challenged to understand more than on OS.

http://www.linear.com/software/

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12193 wrote:

I never lost any data on my computer.

I take backups very seriously.

I consider backups to be the single most important task of any
computer.

I probably haven't lost any either but can't find the darn
stuff I put in there. I know that just happened to a series
of pictures I downloaded the other day. They aren't where
I though I put them. :-(
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:17:58 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus12193
scrawled the following:

Ignoramus25062 wrote:
What is the matter with a pencil and paper?????

Nothing wrong.

Personally, I like to keep everything in the computer, that way I do
not lose it.

OH!! Personally I like to keep things on paper that way I
don't loose it. :-)
...lew...

Congrats, Lew and Ig. You're the first among us who has never lost a
piece of paper or a bit of data from a computer, respectively.

We salute you. (OK, guys, both middle fingers NOW!

I never lost any data on my computer.

I take backups very seriously.

I consider backups to be the single most important task of any
computer.

Agreed, but did you from day one? If so, you'd be the first person
I've ever met to have done so.

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.
-- Evan Esar
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:17:12 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus12193
scrawled the following:

On 2009-04-01, Lew Hartswick wrote:
Ignoramus8285 wrote:
[...]

Ditto here, finally.

I also back up to work using rdiff-backup.

I also back up to another computer in the house.

All of this is done nightly and is verified.

Cool.

I also like to change hard drives every three years or so.

Smart man!

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.
-- Evan Esar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25062 wrote:
What is the matter with a pencil and paper?????

Nothing wrong.

Personally, I like to keep everything in the computer, that way I do
not lose it.

OH!! Personally I like to keep things on paper that way I
don't loose it. :-)
...lew...

Congrats, Lew and Ig. You're the first among us who has never lost a
piece of paper or a bit of data from a computer, respectively.

We salute you. (OK, guys, both middle fingers NOW!

I never lost any data on my computer.

I take backups very seriously.

I consider backups to be the single most important task of any
computer.

Agreed, but did you from day one? If so, you'd be the first person
I've ever met to have done so.

I did it from day one, yes. Or maybe from the first or second
year. But I was fortunate in that I started backing things up before I
had any data loss.

I may have lost some latest edits on some file that I was editing, but
nothing more than that.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus12193 wrote:
:On 2009-04-02, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
: On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:17:58 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus12193
scrawled the following:
:
:
:I never lost any data on my computer.
:
:I take backups very seriously.
:
:I consider backups to be the single most important task of any
:computer.
:
: Agreed, but did you from day one? If so, you'd be the first person
: I've ever met to have done so.
:
:
:I did it from day one, yes. Or maybe from the first or second
:year. But I was fortunate in that I started backing things up before I
:had any data loss.

Absolutely from day one here. I have many not-so-fond memories of
Norton Backup and the rather large sets of floppy disks needed to back
up my first '386.