Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Who knows?

I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my hot
bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've come to realize that
I've forgotten more than most young guys know. But I digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths. Every
crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back pocket, and
losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs, fishing
tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was drilling pipe, and
that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in standard lengths. Same
with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:06:20 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my hot
bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've come to realize that
I've forgotten more than most young guys know. But I digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths. Every
crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back pocket, and
losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs, fishing
tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was drilling pipe, and
that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in standard lengths. Same
with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve

==========
My guess is that the drill pipe comes from the factory more or
less standard length, but as time goes on, the threads on one end
or the other get dorked, and these are recut. Several dinged
threads = short joint.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:06:20 -0700, SteveB wrote:

I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my
hot bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've come to
realize that I've forgotten more than most young guys know. But I
digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths. Every
crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back pocket,
and losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs,
fishing tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was drilling
pipe, and that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in standard
lengths. Same with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve

It's always getting cut off and the ends remachined?

(I know nothing of oil drilling)

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-01, SteveB wrote:
I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my hot
bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've come to realize that
I've forgotten more than most young guys know. But I digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths. Every
crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back pocket, and
losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs, fishing
tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was drilling pipe, and
that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in standard lengths. Same
with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

I can't tell you for sure, because I've never worked where you
have, but I can make a guess.

Don't the threads on on the couplings on the ends of the pipes
get banged up and have to be cut off and a new one welded in place? The
more times this happens, the shorter the pipe? Certainly the pipes are
expensive enough to be worth repairing if possible.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I borrowed a tank skid the other day and had to wait for a truck to
be loaded and I listened to them tally pipe and 95% of the pipe was
31.50 ft I asked where did it come from? China they said. It was
tubing and not drill pipe.

What part of Texas are you from??

Scott

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my hot
bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've come to realize that
I've forgotten more than most young guys know. But I digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths. Every
crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back pocket, and
losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs, fishing
tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was drilling pipe, and
that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in standard lengths. Same
with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve

Pins and collars are standard sizes, but stem tends to be random lengths
from the mill. Plus pipe repairs, recutting the pins, cutting off
collars and replacing them etc etc tend to make pipe lengths rather
random.

Some drill stem I punched in the ground was over 50 yrs old, based on
company records.

But its a really good question.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 28, 10:06*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my hot
bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. *I've come to realize that
I've forgotten more than most young guys know. *But I digress.

Question: *Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths. *Every
crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back pocket, and
losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs, fishing
tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was drilling pipe, and
that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in standard lengths. *Same
with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve

I’m no expert, but my guess is that random lengths might lessen
resonance problems (or vibration harmonics) that could damage the
drill string. I can’t prove this. I can show that vibration
(torsional, axial, lateral) is a concern:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/spc/vibrations/vidr.htm
http://www.rgu.ac.uk/files/MSc%20Pos...xample%202.pdf
http://www.reedhycalog.com/Tech_Ref/...Guidelines.pdf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

It's always getting cut off and the ends remachined?

(I know nothing of oil drilling)

I think that is a good guess. Just up the road is a shop with a big lathe, the steady is
out side with a pipe rack. They make their living cutting the unique threads used in the
industry.

I don't know much more about the drilling side of things though I was once a night
watchman on a work over rig.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my hot
bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've come to realize that
I've forgotten more than most young guys know. But I digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths. Every
crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back pocket, and
losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs, fishing
tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was drilling pipe, and
that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in standard lengths. Same
with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve

I don't know about new pipe but I worked, for a short time, at a
place in Shrevesport that repaired pipe by cutting the tool joints off
and welding on new joints.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nah. If you look at a piece, the shaft is smaller diameter than the ends.
Screwing up an end would make it unserviceable, since the ends are bigger.
Unless, they weld on another end assembly. But I don't think so.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Take a look at this. It will explain the shape, and why they wouldn't be
remachined on the ends.

http://www.petrodrillingtools.com/pr...FRBbagodwGo8lg

Steve

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I borrowed a tank skid the other day and had to wait for a truck to
be loaded and I listened to them tally pipe and 95% of the pipe was
31.50 ft I asked where did it come from? China they said. It was
tubing and not drill pipe.

What part of Texas are you from??

Scott

Utah. I worked in the oilfield boom of the 70's in the Gulf of Mexico, and
later in the nineties. Made some trips overseas, too. Diver, welder, crane
operator.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Then I guess they CAN be repaired. Length varied by up to three feet.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
[...]

It never ceases to amaze me that people come up answers with out
knowing anything about the subject under discussion.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 08:48:46 -0700, Lew Hartswick wrote:

SteveB wrote:
Take a look at this. It will explain the shape, and why they wouldn't
be remachined on the ends.

http://www.petrodrillingtools.com/productshow.asp?

articleid=144&gclid=CKfn8r7-gZkCFRBbagodwGo8lg

[...]

_Guesses_ -- at least in my case.

I usually wait a bit before answering (or guessing), and keep my fingers
off the keyboard if someone who actually knows what they're talking about
comes on.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 07:57:30 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

Take a look at this. It will explain the shape, and why they wouldn't be
remachined on the ends.

http://www.petrodrillingtools.com/pr...FRBbagodwGo8lg

Steve

Actually...most are buttress thread and can be remachined a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttress_thread
http://www-odp.tamu.edu/publications..._s/drill_s.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_string

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am really surprised no one has better knowledge on this issue.

I, too, know nothing about a new string, though most drill stem
I've seen has been quite uniform. The cost of a new string of
pipe must be phenomenal, as it was cost effective to try to get
one more hole out of a string. Of course, if the gamble failed
you owned a bunch of tonnage of steel down a mighty skinny hole.

Baker tooling used to have a plant here. I did outside contractor
work for their site. Their specialty was to sandblast the inside
of drill stem, spray apply a coat of epoxy, send through some
ovens, apply second epoxy coat, then fill a special train car that
would hold one company's set of drill stem to bake in an enclosed
oven for over a day. They had another machine outside that would
slowly turn a drill stem as a machine powder welded a new surface
on the drill collars (I'm sure there's a fancier name for the
process). Fascinating machinery, and you should have seen the
forklifts that could handle a full load of drill stem.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"SteveB" wrote in message
I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying
in my hot bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've
come to realize that I've forgotten more than most young guys
know. But I digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths.
Every crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their
back pocket, and losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver
subs, fishing tools, ........... the thing there was the most of
was drilling pipe, and that would seem to be the easiest to
fabricate in standard lengths. Same with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my hot
bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've come to realize that
I've forgotten more than most young guys know. But I digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths. Every
crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back pocket, and
losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs, fishing
tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was drilling pipe, and
that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in standard lengths. Same
with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve

Well then apparently you are not as smart as you think you are.

No matter how carefully you measure a slug or billet in preparation for
forming a pipe, you cannot accurately predict the finished length unless you
can assure you maintain the exact ID, OD and will thickness over the entire
length. Check tolerances on any tube or pipe and you will quickly see enough
variation to seriously affect it's finished length. That's why they are sold
in random lengths. Cutting them to exact lengths would always increase the
scrap or return rate, and increase the cost per foot.

Now if you are just sticking one pipe in the ground after the other, why
waste 6-18" per joint just to make them all the same length? If you accept
random, you will get a free joint about every 20 to 30 joints. So it' much
more cost effective to measure and count.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote

I usually wait a bit before answering (or guessing), and keep my fingers
off the keyboard if someone who actually knows what they're talking about
comes on.

I can tell you what a chickshin line is, what a BOP is, how a Hydril works,
what a Christmas Tree is, what bentonite does, what a collar is, what a
cathead is, but I just don't know why they wouldn't make drill pipe 40'
apiece instead of all around that figure. Maybe someone will know.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Elliot G" wrote in message
m...

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Psst. Eliot. It's a given that I'm not as smart as I think I am. It's
also a given that I'm not as smart as you. Obviously.

Thanks for the information. And with no condescension, too!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me that people come up answers with out knowing
anything about the subject under discussion.
...lew...

_Guesses_ -- at least in my case.

I usually wait a bit before answering (or guessing), and keep my fingers
off the keyboard if someone who actually knows what they're talking about
comes on.

I'm not convinced you are wrong. In addition to having a place that recuts threads down
the road, I remember and found this thread.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...lfield+threads

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that "SteveB"
wrote on Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:06:20 -0700 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my hot
bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've come to realize that
I've forgotten more than most young guys know. But I digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths. Every
crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back pocket, and
losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs, fishing
tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was drilling pipe, and
that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in standard lengths. Same
with casing.

The Pipe was fabricated in standard lengths. Then it left the
factory. Since then, I suspect it got tweaked, fixed, customized, and
da kind, but never uniformly.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B,

Hey! Your secret is safe with me. If your mother still thinks you're a piano player in a
whorehouse, I won't tell her you worked in the oil patch.

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Steve B,

Hey! Your secret is safe with me. If your mother still thinks you're a
piano player in a
whorehouse, I won't tell her you worked in the oil patch.

Bob Swinney

Even have an Official Oilfield Trash Belt Buckle. BTW, I did contact a pipe
manufacturer, and asked the question about random lengths. Will post if I
hear from them. www.petrodrillingtools.com

Steve