Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Who knows?

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 08:48:46 -0700, Lew Hartswick wrote:

SteveB wrote:
Take a look at this. It will explain the shape, and why they wouldn't
be remachined on the ends.

http://www.petrodrillingtools.com/productshow.asp?

articleid=144&gclid=CKfn8r7-gZkCFRBbagodwGo8lg

Steve

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:06:20 -0700, SteveB wrote:

I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my
hot bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've come to
realize that I've forgotten more than most young guys know. But I
digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths.
Every crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back
pocket, and losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs,
fishing tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was
drilling pipe, and that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in
standard lengths. Same with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve
It's always getting cut off and the ends remachined?

(I know nothing of oil drilling)

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

It never ceases to amaze me that people come up answers with out knowing
anything about the subject under discussion.
...lew...

_Guesses_ -- at least in my case.

I usually wait a bit before answering (or guessing), and keep my fingers
off the keyboard if someone who actually knows what they're talking about
comes on.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com