Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Who knows?

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:06:20 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my hot
bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've come to realize that
I've forgotten more than most young guys know. But I digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths. Every
crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back pocket, and
losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs, fishing
tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was drilling pipe, and
that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in standard lengths. Same
with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve

My guess is that the drill pipe comes from the factory more or
less standard length, but as time goes on, the threads on one end
or the other get dorked, and these are recut. Several dinged
threads = short joint.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

Nah. If you look at a piece, the shaft is smaller diameter than the ends.
Screwing up an end would make it unserviceable, since the ends are bigger.
Unless, they weld on another end assembly. But I don't think so.

Steve