Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Elliot G Elliot G is offline

Default Who knows?

"SteveB" wrote in message
I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my hot
bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've come to realize that
I've forgotten more than most young guys know. But I digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths. Every
crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back pocket, and
losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs, fishing
tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was drilling pipe, and
that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in standard lengths. Same
with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve

Well then apparently you are not as smart as you think you are.

No matter how carefully you measure a slug or billet in preparation for
forming a pipe, you cannot accurately predict the finished length unless you
can assure you maintain the exact ID, OD and will thickness over the entire
length. Check tolerances on any tube or pipe and you will quickly see enough
variation to seriously affect it's finished length. That's why they are sold
in random lengths. Cutting them to exact lengths would always increase the
scrap or return rate, and increase the cost per foot.

Now if you are just sticking one pipe in the ground after the other, why
waste 6-18" per joint just to make them all the same length? If you accept
random, you will get a free joint about every 20 to 30 joints. So it' much
more cost effective to measure and count.