Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Who knows?

I am really surprised no one has better knowledge on this issue.

I, too, know nothing about a new string, though most drill stem
I've seen has been quite uniform. The cost of a new string of
pipe must be phenomenal, as it was cost effective to try to get
one more hole out of a string. Of course, if the gamble failed
you owned a bunch of tonnage of steel down a mighty skinny hole.

Baker tooling used to have a plant here. I did outside contractor
work for their site. Their specialty was to sandblast the inside
of drill stem, spray apply a coat of epoxy, send through some
ovens, apply second epoxy coat, then fill a special train car that
would hold one company's set of drill stem to bake in an enclosed
oven for over a day. They had another machine outside that would
slowly turn a drill stem as a machine powder welded a new surface
on the drill collars (I'm sure there's a fancier name for the
process). Fascinating machinery, and you should have seen the
forklifts that could handle a full load of drill stem.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"SteveB" wrote in message
I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying
in my hot bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've
come to realize that I've forgotten more than most young guys
know. But I digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths.
Every crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their
back pocket, and losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver
subs, fishing tools, ........... the thing there was the most of
was drilling pipe, and that would seem to be the easiest to
fabricate in standard lengths. Same with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

Steve