Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Who knows?

On 2009-03-01, SteveB wrote:
I don't have a clue why, but just a short time ago, I was lying in my hot
bath contemplating time spent on drilling rigs. I've come to realize that
I've forgotten more than most young guys know. But I digress.

Question: Why is it that 5" drill pipe comes in random lengths. Every
crane operator had that denim covered tally book in their back pocket, and
losing it could bring on severe consequences.

Out of everything we used, jars, collars, stabilizers, saver subs, fishing
tools, ........... the thing there was the most of was drilling pipe, and
that would seem to be the easiest to fabricate in standard lengths. Same
with casing.

Can anyone tell me?

I can't tell you for sure, because I've never worked where you
have, but I can make a guess.

Don't the threads on on the couplings on the ends of the pipes
get banged up and have to be cut off and a new one welded in place? The
more times this happens, the shorter the pipe? Certainly the pipes are
expensive enough to be worth repairing if possible.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564