Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC Mill available- So.California

I have this machine available for sale.

Hitachi-Seiki VA35

Vertical Machining Center

3 Axis CNC

Fanuc 6M Model B

18 Position Automatic Tool Changer

Travel 22" X 14" X 16"

PHOTOS WERE TAKEN IN THE PLANT. MACHINE HAS NOT BEEN CLEANED OR
PAINTED, THIS IS THE NORMAL APPEARANCE IN ITS WORKING ENVIRONMENT.

GUARDS HAVE BEEN REMOVED AND SOME COVERS AS WELL AS DOOR LEFT OPEN TO
SHOW MACHINE CONDITION.

MACHINE IS ON SHOP FLOOR AND UNDER POWER AND IS IN WORKING ORDER.

THIS IS A MEDIUM HEIGHT ENCLOSURE, MODERN MACHINE TOOL THAT WILL MAKE
A GREAT ADDITION

TO ANY SHOP, GARAGE, MACHINIST REQUIRING A FLEXIBLE VMC AT A VERY
AFFORDABLE PRICE.

THE FANUC 6MB CONTROL IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION.

GOOD CHANCE TO BUY AN INDUSTRIAL MACHINE TOOL

FOR HOBBY MACHINE PRICE

Table

Working Area 40” x 14”

Work Capacity 1,100 lbs

Stroke
X Axis 22”
Y Axis 14”
Z Axis 16”
End of Z Axis Stoke To Table Top 5.5” Approx.
Spindle

Nose CAT 40

Spindle RPM Range 60-6000

Spindle Speed Change Step-less / S – 4 digit

Spindle Motor 7.5HP AC

Spindle Chiller

Feed

Least Increment .001mm .0001 Inch

Max. Feed 3,600mm/min 140 IPM

Rapid Traverse 13,000mm/min 500 IPM

ATC

Number of tools 18

Shank CAT 40

Max. Tool Diameter 3.75”

Max. Tool Length 10”

Max. Tool Weight 22 lbs.

Larger tools can be used in the spindle, just not loaded by ATC

Automatic Lubrication System

Flood Type Coolant M08/M09

Program Upload/Download

MDI Input

RS232 Upload/Download

Tape Reader

Power 200-220V, 50/60 Hz

Weight 8,800 lbs.

Manuals included in sale:

Hitachi-Seiki VA-35 Programming Manual

Hitachi-Seiki VA-35 Operator's Manual

Hitachi-Seiki VA-35 Parts Manual

Hitachi-Seiki VA-35 Wiring Schematics

Fanuc 6M Model B Programming Manual

Fanuc 6M model B Maintenance Manual

$6000 OBO

Gunner
805-732-5308
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks like a fun machine and the price is reasonable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus1711" wrote in message
Looks like a fun machine and the price is reasonable.

Until you have to replace a board.
Tulip would be your friend on this one.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Here is another useful resource for obsoleted Fanuc controls.
http://www.omegaebr.com/

What models are obsoleted?

I've got Otc OM's 6M 16 18 currently.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Here is another useful resource for obsoleted Fanuc controls.
http://www.omegaebr.com/

What models are obsoleted?

I've got Otc OM's 6M 16 18 currently.

All of those are, I think. They build the 0i and 18i but the three thru
eleven haven't been in production for a while. You see a 15iMA or B on the
Chiwanese stuff from time to time but the modern builders are using thirty
series hardware.
I see 20 series hardware on CNC lathes once in a while.
Fanuc has some parts for the six but they are more expensive than the
machine in question. The best bet is rebuilding and that isn't exactly cheap
either. I know guys that buy machines to have spares for their existing
controls. Hitachi Sieki has been out of business for a decade or more.

It will be important to be sure and back up everything, including the PLC
ladder, before moving the machine or even disconnecting the power. There is
also a place that sells Fanuc battery replacements. In this vintage, it
isn't uncommon to move one of them 50 feet and have them not run again
without major fiddling around.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"Ignoramus1711" wrote in message
Looks like a fun machine and the price is reasonable.

Until you have to replace a board.
Tulip would be your friend on this one.

JC

Why bother, when a board goes bad, replace the control with an EMC2 control
for less than $500 and be done with it. Mach 3 is good for stepper systems,
with EMC2 you can replace servo controls for less than $500 complete
(computer, operating system, cnc software, servo board, interface board, I/O
board, breakout boards, ribbon cables, etc). It's nice to have a control
system with the most expensive board costing $199 to replace.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John R. Carroll wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

IF you can find a good repair person the older controls are no problem
to repair.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:52:19 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

I have this machine available for sale.

Hitachi-Seiki VA35

(Snip)

Program Upload/Download

MDI Input

RS232 Upload/Download

Tape Reader

Two things, not that I'm buying, but this just popped into my head -
what kind of "Tape Reader"? Is this paper tape - Baudot or ASCII?
And does it come with an ASR-33 sitting off to one side for punching
and proofing new tapes??

Or are we talking Compact Cassette, or 1/2" 9-track BlackWatch data
tape, or Colorado drive, or...

There are too many ancient formats out there that use "tape".

Look at Video Archives - they might have thousands of hours of
archival footage on 2" AMPEX videotape, but it is worthless if there
are no operable machines left to play it back with...

Power 200-220V, 50/60 Hz

1Ph or 3Ph?

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have this machine available for sale.

Hitachi-Seiki VA35

(Snip)

Program Upload/Download

MDI Input

RS232 Upload/Download

Tape Reader

Two things, not that I'm buying, but this just popped into my head -
what kind of "Tape Reader"? Is this paper tape - Baudot or ASCII?
And does it come with an ASR-33 sitting off to one side for punching
and proofing new tapes??

Paper tape of course.
Tape punch optional..they are available, though with RS232...why
bother?

Or are we talking Compact Cassette, or 1/2" 9-track BlackWatch data
tape, or Colorado drive, or...

There are too many ancient formats out there that use "tape".

Look at Video Archives - they might have thousands of hours of
archival footage on 2" AMPEX videotape, but it is worthless if there
are no operable machines left to play it back with...

Power 200-220V, 50/60 Hz

1Ph or 3Ph?

-- Bruce --

3ph of course. With a 7.5hp spindle...its not likely to be 1ph

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From a friend of mine: "Sounds like a good deal, fanuc 6m control - good,
does it come with rigid tapping? Box ways or linear? What year? Wired for
4th axis?"

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:

IF you can find a good repair person the older controls are no problem
to repair.

John is one of those.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

All of those are, I think. They build the 0i and 18i but the three thru
eleven haven't been in production for a while. You see a 15iMA or B on the
Chiwanese stuff from time to time but the modern builders are using thirty
series hardware.
I see 20 series hardware on CNC lathes once in a while.
Fanuc has some parts for the six but they are more expensive than the
machine in question. The best bet is rebuilding and that isn't exactly cheap
either. I know guys that buy machines to have spares for their existing
controls. Hitachi Sieki has been out of business for a decade or more.

I bought a shared memory board from Fanuc to fix a popped serial port on a OTc. I know
there is a second port on that board so I asked them how much to turn that one on. The
said more than buying a new board we have in stock.

A firm that is history real concern. I can get parts for an 83 okuma, no problem. I
suspect if we blow a memory board they can help us.

I'm combining your two posts at this thread level.

It will be important to be sure and back up everything, including the PLC
ladder, before moving the machine or even disconnecting the power. There is
also a place that sells Fanuc battery replacements. In this vintage, it
isn't uncommon to move one of them 50 feet and have them not run again
without major fiddling around.

Learning to backup that puppy (the Hitachi Seiki) better be the first thing on the buyers
list.

The popped memory board was ez stuff until I found out there are parameters and PC
parameters. I didn't have the latter. The techs that had delt with the machine for the
previous 10 years never captured them either.

Lucky for everyone, we had two other machines, one had the same PC parameters. The second
set I tried made machine very happy. Google Memex and find tips on backing up your
control for those that are not up to speed on this.

Less than 2 months after this deal, we moved a Mori Seiki SL25 ~100ft and guess what? Yup,
can't remember what 9xx series error it was but ram was corrupt.

Oh those backups I made of those machines sure came in handy.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have this machine available for sale.

[ ... ]

RS232 Upload/Download

Tape Reader

Two things, not that I'm buying, but this just popped into my head -
what kind of "Tape Reader"? Is this paper tape - Baudot or ASCII?

Almost certainly 8-level punched tape -- in ASCII not Baudot.

And does it come with an ASR-33 sitting off to one side for punching
and proofing new tapes??

Usually, there was a computer in the office with a paper tape
punch to feed the machines on the shop floor. :-)

Or are we talking Compact Cassette, or 1/2" 9-track BlackWatch data
tape, or Colorado drive, or...

Nope!

There are too many ancient formats out there that use "tape".

But there is only one traditional for CNC machines.

Look at Video Archives - they might have thousands of hours of
archival footage on 2" AMPEX videotape, but it is worthless if there
are no operable machines left to play it back with...

Well ... I've got both 8-level punches and readers. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:33:06 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

From a friend of mine: "Sounds like a good deal, fanuc 6m control - good,
does it come with rigid tapping? Box ways or linear? What year? Wired for
4th axis?"

No idea, but Ill ask the seller.

Gunner

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

Give these guys a jingle next time.
http://www.memex.ca/index.php?option...tpage&Itemid=1

A firm that is history real concern. I can get parts for an 83 okuma, no
problem. I
suspect if we blow a memory board they can help us.

Maybe, maybe not. Either way you can probably find what you need or fix what
you have. The issue is price.

I'm combining your two posts at this thread level.

It will be important to be sure and back up everything, including the PLC
ladder, before moving the machine or even disconnecting the power. There
is
also a place that sells Fanuc battery replacements. In this vintage, it
isn't uncommon to move one of them 50 feet and have them not run again
without major fiddling around.

Learning to backup that puppy (the Hitachi Seiki) better be the first
thing on the buyers
list.

Knowing the seller, I'm sure a complete back up is already on hand.
I'd still make a fresh one and then load and test it.

The popped memory board was ez stuff until I found out there are
parameters and PC
parameters. I didn't have the latter. The techs that had delt with the
machine for the
previous 10 years never captured them either.

Every so often someone will post to AMC with this exact problem and the old
sages always respond with an admonition to the effect that parameter backups
are the first order of business. Well, I was in one of those "sages" shops
last summer and watched as they spent a month and ten grand getting a Makino
horizontal running again after exactly this memory board failure. The Makino
Pro III is basically a F16 with a layer of Makino stuff on top and this
machine is old enough now (1996 IIRC) that not even Makino was much help.
The guy that used to service these things has moved on or retired, I forget
which. That's the real problem. Getting the machine running again didn't
really take long, it was figuring out how to get in touch with the guy that
knew how that wasn't easy.
It's a kick ass machine until it isn't running. LOL

Less than 2 months after this deal, we moved a Mori Seiki SL25 ~100ft and
guess what? Yup,
can't remember what 9xx series error it was but ram was corrupt.

There is a sort of procedure I've come up with over the years to try and
avoid this situation.
You can't always just pick these things up and plop them down again - even
the bubble memory Fanucs ( like the 6) and Mitsubishi's.
Takes a little time but it's worth the effort.

Oh those backups I made of those machines sure came in handy.

I'll bet you were a hero for a minute or two.
Hehe.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

I bought a shared memory board from Fanuc to fix a popped serial port on a
OTc. I know
there is a second port on that board so I asked them how much to turn that
one on. The
said more than buying a new board we have in stock.

Give these guys a jingle next time.
http://www.memex.ca/index.php?option...tpage&Itemid=1

I know about those guys. Excellent website. We have an account with Fanuc and in this
companies enviroment, I'll go the easiest way. Getting a new supplier set up is like
pulling teeth.

A firm that is history real concern. I can get parts for an 83 okuma, no
problem. I
suspect if we blow a memory board they can help us.

Maybe, maybe not. Either way you can probably find what you need or fix what
you have. The issue is price.

We have 7 LB15's. Haven't had so sorry response yet. Is there anything cheap in the cnc
world?

Learning to backup that puppy (the Hitachi Seiki) better be the first
thing on the buyers
list.

Knowing the seller, I'm sure a complete back up is already on hand.
I'd still make a fresh one and then load and test it.

If I'm doing something near a control on a machine that could bite my ass, I take a new
backup. I've already had the joy of someone cleaning up a server directory or cleaning up
PCDNC. Not having a clue what is there.

The popped memory board was ez stuff until I found out there are
parameters and PC
parameters. I didn't have the latter. The techs that had delt with the
machine for the
previous 10 years never captured them either.

Every so often someone will post to AMC with this exact problem and the old
sages always respond with an admonition to the effect that parameter backups
are the first order of business. Well, I was in one of those "sages" shops
last summer and watched as they spent a month and ten grand getting a Makino
horizontal running again after exactly this memory board failure. The Makino
Pro III is basically a F16 with a layer of Makino stuff on top and this
machine is old enough now (1996 IIRC) that not even Makino was much help.

F16? Okay Fanuc 16. I have a few Makino's with Pro III on it. Fanuc 6's. I have them
in pairs of the same model. Outside of parameter list and geometry, O9XXX programs, what
else is there I should have?

The guy that used to service these things has moved on or retired, I forget
which. That's the real problem. Getting the machine running again didn't
really take long, it was figuring out how to get in touch with the guy that
knew how that wasn't easy.
It's a kick ass machine until it isn't running. LOL

We could go on about how short corporate memory is now. Workers are swapped out like
underwear so no one knows much before their hire date.

Less than 2 months after this deal, we moved a Mori Seiki SL25 ~100ft and
guess what? Yup,
can't remember what 9xx series error it was but ram was corrupt.

There is a sort of procedure I've come up with over the years to try and
avoid this situation.
You can't always just pick these things up and plop them down again - even
the bubble memory Fanucs ( like the 6) and Mitsubishi's.
Takes a little time but it's worth the effort.

If you care to pass that procedure on, I'll pay attention. My goal at work is to keep
things working or get them back to working as fast as possible.

Oh those backups I made of those machines sure came in handy.

I'll bet you were a hero for a minute or two.

Only to the other machine techs. I'm not currently assigned to machining operations. I
live for interesting problems.

Wes