Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_2_] John R. Carroll[_2_] is offline

Default CNC Mill available- So.California

"Wes" wrote in message
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Here is another useful resource for obsoleted Fanuc controls.
http://www.omegaebr.com/

What models are obsoleted?

I've got Otc OM's 6M 16 18 currently.

All of those are, I think. They build the 0i and 18i but the three thru
eleven haven't been in production for a while. You see a 15iMA or B on the
Chiwanese stuff from time to time but the modern builders are using thirty
series hardware.
I see 20 series hardware on CNC lathes once in a while.
Fanuc has some parts for the six but they are more expensive than the
machine in question. The best bet is rebuilding and that isn't exactly cheap
either. I know guys that buy machines to have spares for their existing
controls. Hitachi Sieki has been out of business for a decade or more.

It will be important to be sure and back up everything, including the PLC
ladder, before moving the machine or even disconnecting the power. There is
also a place that sells Fanuc battery replacements. In this vintage, it
isn't uncommon to move one of them 50 feet and have them not run again
without major fiddling around.

JC