Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default CNC Mill available- So.California

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

I bought a shared memory board from Fanuc to fix a popped serial port on a
OTc. I know
there is a second port on that board so I asked them how much to turn that
one on. The
said more than buying a new board we have in stock.

Give these guys a jingle next time.
http://www.memex.ca/index.php?option...tpage&Itemid=1

I know about those guys. Excellent website. We have an account with Fanuc and in this
companies enviroment, I'll go the easiest way. Getting a new supplier set up is like
pulling teeth.

A firm that is history real concern. I can get parts for an 83 okuma, no
problem. I
suspect if we blow a memory board they can help us.

Maybe, maybe not. Either way you can probably find what you need or fix what
you have. The issue is price.

We have 7 LB15's. Haven't had so sorry response yet. Is there anything cheap in the cnc
world?

Learning to backup that puppy (the Hitachi Seiki) better be the first
thing on the buyers
list.

Knowing the seller, I'm sure a complete back up is already on hand.
I'd still make a fresh one and then load and test it.

If I'm doing something near a control on a machine that could bite my ass, I take a new
backup. I've already had the joy of someone cleaning up a server directory or cleaning up
PCDNC. Not having a clue what is there.

The popped memory board was ez stuff until I found out there are
parameters and PC
parameters. I didn't have the latter. The techs that had delt with the
machine for the
previous 10 years never captured them either.

Every so often someone will post to AMC with this exact problem and the old
sages always respond with an admonition to the effect that parameter backups
are the first order of business. Well, I was in one of those "sages" shops
last summer and watched as they spent a month and ten grand getting a Makino
horizontal running again after exactly this memory board failure. The Makino
Pro III is basically a F16 with a layer of Makino stuff on top and this
machine is old enough now (1996 IIRC) that not even Makino was much help.

F16? Okay Fanuc 16. I have a few Makino's with Pro III on it. Fanuc 6's. I have them
in pairs of the same model. Outside of parameter list and geometry, O9XXX programs, what
else is there I should have?

The guy that used to service these things has moved on or retired, I forget
which. That's the real problem. Getting the machine running again didn't
really take long, it was figuring out how to get in touch with the guy that
knew how that wasn't easy.
It's a kick ass machine until it isn't running. LOL

We could go on about how short corporate memory is now. Workers are swapped out like
underwear so no one knows much before their hire date.

Less than 2 months after this deal, we moved a Mori Seiki SL25 ~100ft and
guess what? Yup,
can't remember what 9xx series error it was but ram was corrupt.

There is a sort of procedure I've come up with over the years to try and
avoid this situation.
You can't always just pick these things up and plop them down again - even
the bubble memory Fanucs ( like the 6) and Mitsubishi's.
Takes a little time but it's worth the effort.

If you care to pass that procedure on, I'll pay attention. My goal at work is to keep
things working or get them back to working as fast as possible.

Oh those backups I made of those machines sure came in handy.

I'll bet you were a hero for a minute or two.

Only to the other machine techs. I'm not currently assigned to machining operations. I
live for interesting problems.

Wes