Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CDCO is cheaper than Enco

http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

I have ordered a couple times:
Digital Outside Micrometers
T - Handle Hex Set
Piloted Spindle Tapper
60° Center Gage
115 PC H.S.S. Drill Bits Set
Turning and Facing Tool Holder For Tool Post: BXA or 200 Series

Those drill sets are so cheap, it is not worth my time to inventory
drills, I just buy more sets.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley
in news:7f8f7124-995a-4669-bf89-0877d8669306
@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Those drill sets are so cheap, it is not worth my time to inventory
drills, I just buy more sets.

I find the opposite. Those Chinalloy bits are so poorly made of such
a lousy alloy, and so badly ground, that they last about 1/10 the hole
depth of good American bits. They're also often not precisely of the
correct diameters.

I'd rather spend my money on bits I can periodically re-touch and have
them last years.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
" fired this volley
in news:7f8f7124-995a-4669-bf89-0877d8669306
@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Those drill sets are so cheap, it is not worth my time to inventory
drills, I just buy more sets.

I find the opposite. Those Chinalloy bits are so poorly made of such
a lousy alloy, and so badly ground, that they last about 1/10 the hole
depth of good American bits. They're also often not precisely of the
correct diameters.

I'd rather spend my money on bits I can periodically re-touch and have
them last years.

I had a very negative experience with the cheapest drills. They might
be mild steel that is TIN coated. The fail in the hole and then the
only thing that can get drilling to continue, is carbide. I use cheap
drills to drill through aluminum or drywall or some other stuff like
this.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:

Those drill sets are so cheap, it is not worth my time to inventory
drills, I just buy more sets.

I find the opposite. Those Chinalloy bits are so poorly made of such
a lousy alloy, and so badly ground, that they last about 1/10 the hole
depth of good American bits. They're also often not precisely of the
correct diameters.

I'd rather spend my money on bits I can periodically re-touch and have
them last years.

A while back, I bought one of the big drill sets on sale from Enco or
MSC. I got one with the combined letter, number & fractional drills. I
decided to get the middle-ground "no name" HSS american made set, as
opposed to the cheap import set, or the very expensive name-brand US set.

They are a mixed bag, but have served me very well. Some of the drills
have no size marking on them, some are nicely etched, and some are
stamped so deep I have to stone them to get them to run true. The one
rude surpise I got was with a number drill about 0.1" in diameter. I
chucked it up after checking the shank for severe stamping ridges, and
went to work. It just wouldn't cut, even in aluminum, and after a few
attempts, I took it out and examined the business end. The point was
ground "backwards", in that the heel was higher than the cutting edge
(negative lip angle)! Since then, I check the point of every bit before
I use it. So far that's the only one I've found. The steel seems to be
generally high quality, and there rest are all nice & sharp.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

Those drill sets are so cheap, it is not worth my time to inventory
drills, I just buy more sets.

I think I'll stick to PTD brand. Never had luck with cheap drill bits.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 18, 3:07*pm, Wes wrote:
" wrote:
Those drill sets are so cheap, it is not worth my time to inventory
drills, I just buy more sets.

I think I'll stick to PTD brand. *Never had luck with cheap drill bits.

Wes

I have had bad cheap drill experiences in the past, but the 115 drill
set I got for $35 from CDCO was very good.
I think a good test is to drill mild steel with a 1/8" drill, as I
have envelopes full of 1/8" drill, so I can sacrifice it.

Drill fast and hard with coolant.
The drill should drill fast and stay sharp.
The CDCO set passes this test.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw jw is offline

went to work. *It just wouldn't cut, even in aluminum, and after a few
attempts, I took it out and examined the business end. *The point was
ground "backwards", in that the heel was higher than the cutting edge
(negative lip angle)! *Since then, I check the point of every bit before
I use it. *So far that's the only one I've found. *The steel seems to be
generally high quality, and there rest are all nice & sharp. *

Doug White

I found the same thing once. Wouldn't drill at all. I kept checking
to make sure I was turning the right way, and then once I check the
drill bit, I saw the problem. Reground it to a proper angle and it
worked fine after.

JW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 19, 9:48*am, jw wrote:
went to work. *It just wouldn't cut, even in aluminum, and after a few
attempts, I took it out and examined the business end. *The point was
ground "backwards", in that the heel was higher than the cutting edge
(negative lip angle)! *Since then, I check the point of every bit before
I use it. *So far that's the only one I've found. *The steel seems to be
generally high quality, and there rest are all nice & sharp. *

Doug White

I found the same thing once. *Wouldn't drill at all. *I kept checking
to make sure I was turning the right way, and then once I check the
drill bit, I saw the problem. *Reground it to a proper angle and it
worked fine after.

JW

The $35 CDCO drills are drilling as fast and staying sharp on a par
with the Precision Twist Drill Company Crystal Lake IL and Triumph
twist drill also of Crystal Lake IL.

I don't know if the quality I a getting is a temporary fluke or if the
Chinese have figured out how to make drills.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in
:

I don't know if the quality I a getting is a temporary fluke or if the
Chinese have figured out how to make drills.

IF they're made from M2AL alloy, they're probably as good as the US
bits, assuming they're also sized and ground correctly.

Usually, they'll specify that if it's the case. (they're pretty proud of
that alloy, when they decide to spend the money on it and the heat-
treatment it requires).

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

I have ordered a couple times:
Digital Outside Micrometers
T - Handle Hex Set
T - Handle Hex Set
Piloted Spindle Tapper
Piloted Spindle Tapper
60° Center Gage
115 PC H.S.S. Drill Bits Set
Turning and Facing Tool Holder For Tool Post: BXA or 200 Series

Those drill sets are so cheap, it is not worth my time to inventory
drills, I just buy more sets.

I bought some BS #9 collets from them last year, much chaper than anyone
else, and appeared to be of good quality.
Fast, cheap shipping.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong.

China quality is hit or miss. Glad you got a hit.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 19, 3:16*pm, Wes wrote:
" wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong.

China quality is hit or miss. *Glad you got a hit.

Wes

Someone asked me if the drills are ground or forged.
They are ground like the expensive US made drills.

The tool holders for the lathe are so cheap, I can buy more and have
more tools ready to put on the lathe in a moment.
http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

The tool holders for the lathe are so cheap, I can buy more and have
more tools ready to put on the lathe in a moment.
http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

Now the AXA series tool holders seem to be pretty good. I have quite a few. Lathe came
with a real Aloris tool post and CDCO's fit it fine. I did get one that required a bit
more rotation of the locking lever but still usable.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

The tool holders are what got me started there.
My brother's shop and mine both soak up lathe tool holders at the CDCO
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 5:13=A0pm, Wes wrote:
" wrote:
The tool holders for the lathe are so cheap, I can buy more and have
more tools ready to put on the lathe in a moment.
http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

Now the AXA series tool holders seem to be pretty good. =A0I have quite a=

few. =A0Lathe came
with a real Aloris tool post and CDCO's fit it fine. =A0I did get one =A0=

that required a bit
more rotation of the locking lever but still usable.

The tool holders are what got me started there.
My brother's shop and mine both soak up lathe tool holders at the CDCO
price.

Any idea how hard they are? I occasionally need to modify them, and the
real McCoy are at least case hardened. The most common thing is that I
need to knock ~50 mils off the bottom to use 1/2" tooling because my
compound is just a bit high. I've found the Phase II holders are easier
to machine, but the CDCO's are even cheaper.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

(Doug White) wrote:

The tool holders are what got me started there.
My brother's shop and mine both soak up lathe tool holders at the CDCO
price.

Any idea how hard they are? I occasionally need to modify them, and the
real McCoy are at least case hardened. The most common thing is that I
need to knock ~50 mils off the bottom to use 1/2" tooling because my
compound is just a bit high. I've found the Phase II holders are easier
to machine, but the CDCO's are even cheaper.

I'll try to remember to take one to work to check Rc. Might take me a day or so to get to
it but I'll post back to this thread.

Feel free to jog my memory if I forget.

Wes

Almost forgot. I took a few measurements across the bottom of a CDCO AXA holder.

44.3, 40.7, 48.3, 45.4

Then thinking about your comment on case, I checked on both sides of the ground surface.
46.2, 45.8 on the Rc scale. Instrument is in calibration.

Average of all readings is 45.1 Rc.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 11, 3:42*pm, Wes wrote:
(Doug White) wrote:
Average of all readings is 45.1 Rc.

Thanks! *That's still pretty hard, but manageable with carbide end mills.
It makes me think they are at least trying to produce a quality product,
unlike a lot of import stuff.

If I can find time, I'll try to measure an Aloris CXA block just for reference. *

Wes

The cut off tool, I just took out and used. It is for a tool that is .
720" high and is marked "Phase II".
All my cut off bits were higher. I ground one down.
I it worked very well.

Enco vs. KBC Louis Ohland Metalworking 36 August 2nd 07 01:17 AM
CDCO Machinery Corp. 3 Axis DRO Phil Stein Metalworking 10 October 17th 05 02:51 PM
Enco quality?? Uwe Metalworking 17 March 23rd 05 07:00 AM
ENCO again Marv Soloff Metalworking 0 September 5th 03 09:36 AM