Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 10EE Spindle taper

For those of you who may care, the spindle taper of the Clausing 10EE is a
number 12 Jarno taper. I discovered this trying to help resolve Iggy's lathe
issues. So perhaps some of you may know of a source for 12 Jarno to MT, 5C
collet adapters and a test bar in anticipation of Iggy's request. Jarno
tapers are identified by a taper of .6" per foot and numbered in 1/8" at the
major diameter like 12 x .125 = 1.500" major diameter.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-29, Steve Lusardi wrote:
For those of you who may care, the spindle taper of the Clausing 10EE is a
number 12 Jarno taper. I discovered this trying to help resolve Iggy's lathe
issues. So perhaps some of you may know of a source for 12 Jarno to MT, 5C
collet adapters and a test bar in anticipation of Iggy's request. Jarno
tapers are identified by a taper of .6" per foot and numbered in 1/8" at the
major diameter like 12 x .125 = 1.500" major diameter.

Steve, I will call Clausing today to find out for sure.

Thanks a lot for your help.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, Steve, as the saying goes.. it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Options will likely be expensive as far as having the convenience of being
able to use 5C collets.. replace the spindle, have the spindle recut and
reground, or fabricate an accurate adapter for 5C collets.

If one had the capabilities to fabricate adapters, they might bring a
handsome price.

Ig's intentions may have been to see how accurately the machine is set up,
and quantify any wear, but much of that is unimportant if the lathe is
capable of making quality parts, which it very likely is, if there are no
signs of major wear or damage.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
For those of you who may care, the spindle taper of the Clausing 10EE is a
number 12 Jarno taper. I discovered this trying to help resolve Iggy's
lathe issues. So perhaps some of you may know of a source for 12 Jarno to
MT, 5C collet adapters and a test bar in anticipation of Iggy's request.
Jarno tapers are identified by a taper of .6" per foot and numbered in
1/8" at the major diameter like 12 x .125 = 1.500" major diameter.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:22:02 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

For those of you who may care, the spindle taper of the Clausing 10EE is a
number 12 Jarno taper.

Do you mean Iggy's Clausing uses the same Jarno taper as a Monarch
10EE? Someone was selling new 5C adapters for 10EEs on ebay. They're
also available from Royal, but not cheap.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

For those of you who may care, the spindle taper of the Clausing 10EE is a
number 12 Jarno taper.

Do you mean Iggy's Clausing uses the same Jarno taper as a Monarch
10EE? Someone was selling new 5C adapters for 10EEs on ebay. They're
also available from Royal, but not cheap.

--
Ned Simmons

I'm a little confused here. Just did a search for "Clausing 10EE" lathe and
came up with nothing. Wasn't Monarch the maker of the 10EE?

Garrett Fulton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got off the phone talking to Clausing. The findings are as follows:

1) Outside spindle taper is LO (which I knew)
2) Inside spindle taper is "MT3 with bushing", the OD of bushing is of
unknown taper and Clausing does not know anything about the OD of
bushing.

So, I think that I will return the MT5 test bar that Steve L so
generously lent me, and will try to find some other way of testing
this lathe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Garrett Fulton" wrote:

I'm a little confused here. Just did a search for "Clausing 10EE" lathe and
came up with nothing. Wasn't Monarch the maker of the 10EE?

Yup. Clausing made a 100 and 200 iirc.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Garrett,
I believe Monarch bought Clausing, as well as Lodge & Shipley and recently
South Bend. The 10EE is Clausing and Monarch both. I believe it is the same
machine. The SB 10 lathes use MT3 spindles. The 10EE is a heavier machine
and therefore seriously doubt the MT3 spindle taper. Iggy, I also have an
MT3 test bar and could send you that. Please accurately measure the major
diameter of the taper and I will bet you $ to doughnuts it is 1.500". The
number 12 Jarno taper is very close to an MT 4.5, but not MT3.
Steve

wrote:

For those of you who may care, the spindle taper of the Clausing 10EE is
number 12 Jarno taper.

Do you mean Iggy's Clausing uses the same Jarno taper as a Monarch
10EE? Someone was selling new 5C adapters for 10EEs on ebay. They're
also available from Royal, but not cheap.

--
Ned Simmons

I'm a little confused here. Just did a search for "Clausing 10EE" lathe
and came up with nothing. Wasn't Monarch the maker of the 10EE?

Garrett Fulton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I believe that Clausing has been owned by 600 group for some time and I'm
just about certain that Clausing never made a 10EE model let alone the
Monarch 10EE. For reference:

http://www.clausing-industrial.com/

Monarch does appear to own Lodge & Shipley:

http://www.monarchlathes.thomaswebs.net/

South Bend now appears to be owned by LeBlond:

http://www.southbendlathe.com/index.html

I also suspect that Clausing meant that Iggy's Clausing lathe used a MT3
dead center in an adapter that was mounted inside the spindle nose. If it
has an L0 spindle it must be a 14" lathe (6900, 1500, or?) or maybe one of
the Colchester series.

Mike

wrote:

For those of you who may care, the spindle taper of the Clausing 10EE is
number 12 Jarno taper.

Do you mean Iggy's Clausing uses the same Jarno taper as a Monarch
10EE? Someone was selling new 5C adapters for 10EEs on ebay. They're
also available from Royal, but not cheap.

--
Ned Simmons

I'm a little confused here. Just did a search for "Clausing 10EE" lathe
and came up with nothing. Wasn't Monarch the maker of the 10EE?

Garrett Fulton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-29, Mike Henry wrote:
I also suspect that Clausing meant that Iggy's Clausing lathe used a MT3
dead center in an adapter that was mounted inside the spindle nose. If it
has an L0 spindle it must be a 14" lathe (6900, 1500, or?) or maybe one of
the Colchester series.

L0 taper, 13" swing, according to Clausing, my lathe uses a reducting
bushing of unknown OD to reduce spindle to MT3.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-29, Mike Henry wrote:
I also suspect that Clausing meant that Iggy's Clausing lathe used a MT3
dead center in an adapter that was mounted inside the spindle nose. If it
has an L0 spindle it must be a 14" lathe (6900, 1500, or?) or maybe one of
the Colchester series.

L0 taper, 13" swing, according to Clausing, my lathe uses a reducting
bushing of unknown OD to reduce spindle to MT3.

What is the ID of spindle tube?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-29, Mike Henry wrote:
I also suspect that Clausing meant that Iggy's Clausing lathe used a MT3
dead center in an adapter that was mounted inside the spindle nose. If it
has an L0 spindle it must be a 14" lathe (6900, 1500, or?) or maybe one of
the Colchester series.

L0 taper, 13" swing, according to Clausing, my lathe uses a reducting
bushing of unknown OD to reduce spindle to MT3.

Is this useful?
http://garage-machinist.com/manuals/...lathes%20.html

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes,
Yes, it is useful, but Iggy must accurately measure the spindle. I believe
his 10EE has a L00 spindle, not an L0, which is why my MT5 test bar does not
fit. Measuring the nose diameter will resolve this. Jarno and MT tapers are
close but not the same. If he has a 1.5" nose, he has a 12 Jarno.
Ultimately, he needs the MT3 adapter, but if he wants 5C collets, he will
need a 12 Jarno to 5C as well.

Iggy,
Do you have a mating MT 3 adapter?
Steve

"Wes" wrote in message
news

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-29, Steve Lusardi wrote:
Wes,
Yes, it is useful, but Iggy must accurately measure the spindle. I believe
his 10EE has a L00 spindle, not an L0, which is why my MT5 test bar does not
fit. Measuring the nose diameter will resolve this. Jarno and MT tapers are
close but not the same. If he has a 1.5" nose, he has a 12 Jarno.
Ultimately, he needs the MT3 adapter, but if he wants 5C collets, he will
need a 12 Jarno to 5C as well.

Steve, I have a Clausing Colchester. I will double check for the
adapter, but I believe that I do not have it.

Iggy,
Do you have a mating MT 3 adapter?
Steve

"Wes" wrote in message
news

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy,
What is and model and size of the lathe again? Also please measure the Nose
OD and ID at the end.
Steve

On 2008-12-29, Mike Henry wrote:
I also suspect that Clausing meant that Iggy's Clausing lathe used a
MT3
dead center in an adapter that was mounted inside the spindle nose.
If
it
has an L0 spindle it must be a 14" lathe (6900, 1500, or?) or maybe
one
of
the Colchester series.

L0 taper, 13" swing, according to Clausing, my lathe uses a reducting
bushing of unknown OD to reduce spindle to MT3.

Is this useful?
http://garage-machinist.com/manuals/...lathes%20.html

Wes

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:12:55 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Garrett,
I believe Monarch bought Clausing, as well as Lodge & Shipley and recently
South Bend. The 10EE is Clausing and Monarch both. I believe it is the same
machine. The SB 10 lathes use MT3 spindles. The 10EE is a heavier machine
and therefore seriously doubt the MT3 spindle taper. Iggy, I also have an
MT3 test bar and could send you that. Please accurately measure the major
diameter of the taper and I will bet you $ to doughnuts it is 1.500". The
number 12 Jarno taper is very close to an MT 4.5, but not MT3.
Steve

Ig, you could also call Royal and ask them. You may not want to buy
the taper adapter from them (especially after you hear the price), but
they have lots of accurate info on spindle tapers for lathes still in
production and those long out.

Pete Keillor

wrote:

For those of you who may care, the spindle taper of the Clausing 10EE is
number 12 Jarno taper.

Do you mean Iggy's Clausing uses the same Jarno taper as a Monarch
10EE? Someone was selling new 5C adapters for 10EEs on ebay. They're
also available from Royal, but not cheap.

--
Ned Simmons

I'm a little confused here. Just did a search for "Clausing 10EE" lathe
and came up with nothing. Wasn't Monarch the maker of the 10EE?

Garrett Fulton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-29, Steve Lusardi wrote:
Iggy,
What is and model and size of the lathe again? Also please measure the Nose
OD and ID at the end.

Clausing Colchester Master, 1967 model. Four year older than
myself. 13 inch swing. I will measure this stuff tonight.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-29, Steve Lusardi wrote:
Iggy,
What is and model and size of the lathe again? Also please measure the Nose
OD and ID at the end.

Clausing Colchester Master, 1967 model. Four year older than
myself. 13 inch swing. I will measure this stuff tonight.

Four inches longer than yourself?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I like what lates.co.uk says about this taper

"The 1.5" bore No. 3 Morse-taper headstock spindle (bushed down to No.
3 Morse from something close to, but not actually, a No. 5 Morse)..."

http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page2.html

Cheers,
rem

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gene wrote:

Now, if we could only find that
old spec for a "10 Inch Tool Room Lathe"

A 10 inch tool room? That sounds like a small tool box. ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.