Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dean

Default SPINDLE TAPER ADAPTER

I've got a 1977 Clausing Colchester 21 x 80 lathe with a D1-11 spindle nose
and a 3-9/16 spindle thru hole. The lathe was missing the spindle Morse
taper adapter. Does anyone know where I could find one &/or does anyone know
what the spindle taper may be? It is bigger than a #7 Morse which I
understand to be the biggest "standard" Morse taper.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Dean" wrote in message
I've got a 1977 Clausing Colchester 21 x 80 lathe with a D1-11 spindle
nose and a 3-9/16 spindle thru hole. The lathe was missing the spindle
Morse taper adapter. Does anyone know where I could find one &/or does
anyone know what the spindle taper may be? It is bigger than a #7 Morse
which I understand to be the biggest "standard" Morse taper.
Dunno! But if you have a 4-jaw chuck for that bad boy, it'd be a neat
project to make one. Requisite tapers could be turned with the compound.

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:26:36 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Dean" wrote in message
I've got a 1977 Clausing Colchester 21 x 80 lathe with a D1-11 spindle
nose and a 3-9/16 spindle thru hole. The lathe was missing the spindle
Morse taper adapter. Does anyone know where I could find one &/or does
anyone know what the spindle taper may be? It is bigger than a #7 Morse
which I understand to be the biggest "standard" Morse taper.
Dunno! But if you have a 4-jaw chuck for that bad boy, it'd be a neat
project to make one. Requisite tapers could be turned with the compound.

Bob Swinney

Or just call Royal. They'll know the taper and which of their
adapters fits.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

wrote:

Dean" wrote in message
I've got a 1977 Clausing Colchester 21 x 80 lathe with a D1-11 spindle
nose and a 3-9/16 spindle thru hole. The lathe was missing the spindle
Morse taper adapter. Does anyone know where I could find one &/or does
anyone know what the spindle taper may be? It is bigger than a #7 Morse
which I understand to be the biggest "standard" Morse taper.
Dunno! But if you have a 4-jaw chuck for that bad boy, it'd be a neat
project to make one. Requisite tapers could be turned with the compound.

Bob Swinney

Or just call Royal. They'll know the taper and which of their
adapters fits.

Pete Keillor

Yeah but, Pete. They want money for them.

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Dean wrote:

I've got a 1977 Clausing Colchester 21 x 80 lathe with a D1-11 spindle nose
and a 3-9/16 spindle thru hole. The lathe was missing the spindle Morse
taper adapter. Does anyone know where I could find one &/or does anyone know
what the spindle taper may be? It is bigger than a #7 Morse which I
understand to be the biggest "standard" Morse taper.

Some lathes use a jarno taper.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:06:17 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Dean" wrote in message
I've got a 1977 Clausing Colchester 21 x 80 lathe with a D1-11 spindle
nose and a 3-9/16 spindle thru hole. The lathe was missing the spindle
Morse taper adapter. Does anyone know where I could find one &/or does
anyone know what the spindle taper may be? It is bigger than a #7 Morse
which I understand to be the biggest "standard" Morse taper.
Dunno! But if you have a 4-jaw chuck for that bad boy, it'd be a neat
project to make one. Requisite tapers could be turned with the compound.

Bob Swinney

Or just call Royal. They'll know the taper and which of their
adapters fits.

Pete Keillor

Yeah but, Pete. They want money for them.

Bob Swinney

You're right, they're not cheap. I made one, but very early in my
lathe education. Tried to use a sine bar and gauge pin to set the
compound, then realized the outside edge of the old compound (since
replaced and the compound ways were not parallel due to wear. I
bought an adapter from Royal, and think it's worth the money. Hardened
and ground (and correct) is good in this application.

Pete