Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any GOOD sales this year for the workshop?

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:22:55 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

If you know of one, let us know.

Thanks

Do you regard a 'puter as a shop tool? (I do)

It occurred to me to wonder if computer makers might be pricing
aggressively with consumer spending so constipated. The "house" 'puter
is a decade old, never has crashed. It's time to retire that
faithful old box.

Dell had some good deals going when I looked toward end of Nov. One
could get a 'puter with a 20" monitor for less than the monitor would
have cost not long ago. The specs are nuts: quad core, 4 gig of RAM,
500 gig of HD are now cheapseats ordinary. Good gawd!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

If you know of one, let us know.

Thanks

Do you regard a 'puter as a shop tool? (I do)

It occurred to me to wonder if computer makers might be pricing
aggressively with consumer spending so constipated. The "house" 'puter
is a decade old, never has crashed. It's time to retire that
faithful old box.

Dell had some good deals going when I looked toward end of Nov. One
could get a 'puter with a 20" monitor for less than the monitor would
have cost not long ago. The specs are nuts: quad core, 4 gig of RAM,
500 gig of HD are now cheapseats ordinary. Good gawd!!!

Not to mention VISTA, and device drivers that are not availible to
the end user for their SATA CDROM & DVD drives.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

If you know of one, let us know.

Thanks

Do you regard a 'puter as a shop tool? (I do)

It occurred to me to wonder if computer makers might be pricing
aggressively with consumer spending so constipated. The "house" 'puter
is a decade old, never has crashed. It's time to retire that
faithful old box.

Dell had some good deals going when I looked toward end of Nov. One
could get a 'puter with a 20" monitor for less than the monitor would
have cost not long ago. The specs are nuts: quad core, 4 gig of RAM,
500 gig of HD are now cheapseats ordinary. Good gawd!!!

Not to mention VISTA, and device drivers that are not availible to
the end user for their SATA CDROM & DVD drives.

I can't find anything about Vista to recommend it. My son will be
converting the box to XP. I'm too lazy to learn Linux and we have a
bunch of legacy apps that run under Windows.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I recently rescued a computer from work, installed Linux on it and
gave to my friend as a present. He is also the kind of person that
always has a few mechanical projects going on, and he seems to like it
so far.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A freind of mine bought a new dell earlier this year. I installed some
A/V and anti spyware software for them. They moved north nd had to
change to Verison for their DSL provider. As soon as they turned the
computer on it started to download & install a bunch of crap from
Verison. It crashed during their force feed, so they called Verison tech
support. They let them do a remote session, and proceeded to screw it
up, even worse. Finally, they had to pay Dell to reinstall the drivers
that disappeared, like the drives and USB ports.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My shop putter has a HD screen. Real nice on CAD when looking
at lines and such.

If I plugged it in - toggle screen between blue-ray or cable back to work.

Martin

wrote:

Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

If you know of one, let us know.

Thanks

Do you regard a 'puter as a shop tool? (I do)

It occurred to me to wonder if computer makers might be pricing
aggressively with consumer spending so constipated. The "house" 'puter
is a decade old, never has crashed. It's time to retire that
faithful old box.

Dell had some good deals going when I looked toward end of Nov. One
could get a 'puter with a 20" monitor for less than the monitor would
have cost not long ago. The specs are nuts: quad core, 4 gig of RAM,
500 gig of HD are now cheapseats ordinary. Good gawd!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My son has a laptop with Vista. I think the directory structure
is different from win - so virus can't find what it is looking for...

So some programs have to be re-written. But it seems to support
many programs ok. He is happy. Not that he uses the widow to much.

For me, I normally don't upgrade O.s. on a pc unless needed. To many
issues with drivers. Naturally ME was one that was a ok junk upgrade.
XP is a hodge podge of versions. It states I'm using multiple versions
on the o.s. and every box has a different form and fit. different programs...
It is like what month gets this set and next month another one is added.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-23, Don Foreman wrote:
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 06:46:09 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[ ... ]

Do you regard a 'puter as a shop tool? (I do)

[ ... ]

Not to mention VISTA, and device drivers that are not availible to
the end user for their SATA CDROM & DVD drives.

I can't find anything about Vista to recommend it. My son will be
converting the box to XP. I'm too lazy to learn Linux and we have a
bunch of legacy apps that run under Windows.

Why not at least try installing Linux in the old machine which
you are retiring. Ask around for advice as to which distribution to
load. (I tend to play with Sun's Solaris on most of my SPARC based
systems,, and OpenBSD on various systems, SPARC and Intel based..)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-23, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

A freind of mine bought a new dell earlier this year. I installed some
A/V and anti spyware software for them. They moved north nd had to
change to Verison for their DSL provider. As soon as they turned the
computer on it started to download & install a bunch of crap from
Verison. It crashed during their force feed, so they called Verison tech
support.

Hmm ... I presume that you mean "Verizon" (with a 'z' not an
's').

I wonder what they would do trying to force-feed their software
to my SPARC-based Solaris and OpenBSD based systems. Nothing running
Windows of any flavor, nor even the Mac Mini are allowed to directly
touch my net interface. :-)

They let them do a remote session, and proceeded to screw it
up, even worse.

They probably would not have any idea how to deal with the unix
systems on my end. :-) And I would *not* give them a password on my unix
boxen. If their DSL box isn't enough to handle it, then I won't play.

Of course, I've been resisting their attempts to sell me FIOS
(Their name for a Fiber Optic feed) with the excellent excuses that:

1) They can't (won't) give me static IP addresses.

2) They can't (won't) give me a Class-C subnet (256 IP addresses).

We never got to the point of whether they required a Windows box
on my end. :-)

Finally, they had to pay Dell to reinstall the drivers
that disappeared, like the drives and USB ports.

Who had to pay Dell? Hopefully Verizon did.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

I can't find anything about Vista to recommend it. My son will be
converting the box to XP. I'm too lazy to learn Linux and we have a
bunch of legacy apps that run under Windows.

That's what I have been doing to replacement boxes at work since
Vista (spit!) came out.

Most times XP doesn't have drivers for the onboard NICs, but I have
a dwindling supply of 3Com NICs that XP recognizes just fine.

Lately been running into lack of USB drivers. Don't know how
to fix that when the drivers I have stored don't work anymore.

technomaNge

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" writes:

My son has a laptop with Vista. I think the directory structure
is different from win - so virus can't find what it is looking for...

It's not the directory so much, as the layout in memory of libraries,
variables, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 24 Dec 2008 02:15:40 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2008-12-23, Don Foreman wrote:
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 06:46:09 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[ ... ]

Do you regard a 'puter as a shop tool? (I do)

[ ... ]

Not to mention VISTA, and device drivers that are not availible to
the end user for their SATA CDROM & DVD drives.

I can't find anything about Vista to recommend it. My son will be
converting the box to XP. I'm too lazy to learn Linux and we have a
bunch of legacy apps that run under Windows.

Why not at least try installing Linux in the old machine which
you are retiring.

You say "why not", I say "why". I just want my 'puters to do what I
wanna do. I'm not motivated to learn computer science any more than
dentistry or Farsi. I'm getting quite lazy in my dotage and I'm
lovin' it.

I did walk 2 miles today and then spent an hour doing
rearrangement/relocation of some minor snow so I'm not yet dead lazy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-23, Don Foreman wrote:
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 06:46:09 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[ ... ]

Do you regard a 'puter as a shop tool? (I do)

[ ... ]

Not to mention VISTA, and device drivers that are not availible to
the end user for their SATA CDROM & DVD drives.

I can't find anything about Vista to recommend it. My son will be
converting the box to XP. I'm too lazy to learn Linux and we have a
bunch of legacy apps that run under Windows.

Why not at least try installing Linux in the old machine which
you are retiring. Ask around for advice as to which distribution to
load. (I tend to play with Sun's Solaris on most of my SPARC based
systems,, and OpenBSD on various systems, SPARC and Intel based..)

Enjoy,
DoN.

PC Linux and Xandros are very good starter Linux Os's for exwindows
users

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania