Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Any GOOD sales this year for the workshop?

Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

If you know of one, let us know.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

If you know of one, let us know.

Hmm... Is your shop comfortably warm?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Dec 21, 10:22*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

If you know of one, let us know.

Thanks

Me thinks you may see some good deals after Christmas. I have been
circling like a cat around a mouse hoping that the 6.5 Amp Bosch
barrel grip goes on sale. I love my Milwaukee top-handled jigsaw, but
sometimes I really miss my old Bosch barrel.... although it seems to
have gotten a bit fatter. Maybe I'm wrong.
2009 will be the year I will buy a real cyclone DC and I want a real
one... and also a quiet one. Because that CNC v-grooving with a 91-
degree 1-1/2" bit at 12000 rpm throws one ****load of of dirt around.
2009 will also be the year I buy a good used forklift. Propane or
electric, I cannot decide. JUST missed out on a Toyota for only $3K...
it needed work.. I'm not sure what that means in that world.
Depending on a good land deal, I might even build a shop from the
ground up. Parabolic solar ho****er heaters for distribution through
an in-floor tubular maze. Pipes that run 4" from the top of a 7" slab
of concrete which will float on 4" high density styrofoam. Or not.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Dec 21, 10:40*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

If you know of one, let us know.

Hmm... Is your shop comfortably warm?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Amazing. here I was going on about solar hot-water-in-floor
heating...seeing if I could get a nibble out of Morris, and here he
was, shamelessly promoting his passive panels. panels which would
certainly be part of any building I would be doing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Amazing. here I was going on about solar hot-water-in-floor
heating...seeing if I could get a nibble out of Morris, and here he
was, shamelessly promoting his passive panels. panels which would
certainly be part of any building I would be doing.

I knew you weren't serious, because a parabolic collector is either too
lossy or too expensive for space heating.

BTW, you should be able to pick up a small fork lift for less than $1K.
I found a small propane lift which /didn't/ need work earlier this year
in Davenport, IA for $350.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Dec 21, 10:22Â*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

Stay away from the Toyota, there was one at work that stayed down for five
weeks waiting on parts from the dealer.
Not very good when your depending on it.

basilisk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Dec 21, 10:22 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

Woodcraft has the old style K Besseys on closeout, $20 for the 24" and
$25 for the 40" and free shipping until the 23rd. And I got a flyer
for $10 off $100. Crap, I think I just talked myself into that one.

I've been keeping an eye on Amazon, but it's only ever crap that's on
sale and haven't seen any of the $25 or $50 off codes they used to do
in a very long time.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:46:56 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

[...]

Im hoping for a really good sale on Milwaukee Porta Bands and a check
from a client to coencide.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

If you know of one, let us know.

Thanks

Rockler and Woodcraft have both been having good sales since before
Thanksgiving.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

MSC has a sale that ends 1/2/09. The card that came in the mail says
"up to 25% off any 5 different items". Mention code "holiday25".

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

If you know of one, let us know.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

Who is MSC?

I assume that it is MSC Industrial Supply.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

mscjlmetalworking.com

Sorry, I thought is was a "household" name around here.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

Who is MSC?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Dec 21, 9:22*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

If you know of one, let us know.

Thanks

You might find this interesting reading...

TMT

Shoppers haggle for deals from desperate retailers
By LAUREN SHEPHERD, AP Business Writer Lauren Shepherd, Ap Business
Writer Mon Dec 22, 11:01 am ET
NEW YORK – If you're looking for an extra bargain before the holidays,
you may only have to ask. With holiday sales shaping up to be the
lowest in years, possibly the worst since the industry began annual
comparisons in 1969, retailers say they're taking consumers' demands
for good deals seriously. Some are extending return policies, while
others are matching competitors' prices. Many are volunteering on-the-
spot discounts and even letting customers haggle prices well down from
what's marked in a desperate bid to make the cash register ring.

"You'd have to be a moron not to ask for a discount," said Stephen
Hoch, a retailing expert at the Wharton School at the University of
Pennsylvania.

More and more consumers are doing just that, treating a trip to the
mall like a visit to the used car lot.

Allen Chen, a part-time cashier at a J. Crew store in White Plains,
N.Y., said shoppers with two-month-old receipts are asking for partial
refunds for items now on sale. Normally, the store's policy is to
refund the difference between an item's purchase price and a later
sale price only if it goes on sale within seven days of the purchase.

"When I tell them it is past the seven-day policy, they tell me that
they will just return it and re-buy it" at the sale price, he said,
adding that his store managers are now allowing customers to do so
most of the time.

Shoppers are also being far more savvy about asking retailers to match
a competitor's lower price.

While shopping for Blu-ray discs at a Los Angeles Best Buy, Luis Levy
used his cell phone to check the price at nearby competitors. Each
disc was $10 cheaper at Circuit City or Wal-Mart. Best Buy matched the
lower prices.

Diana Thang, manager of Grace Jewelers near San Francisco's Union
Square, said she and her staff are bargaining more than she ever has
in two-plus decades in the business. But it's not working wonders.

"They have a budget," Thang said of most customers this season. "We
give a low, low price and they still can't accept it. They're looking
at more than $1,000 stuff, and they want to spend $200 or $300."

With sales slow at virtually all retailers, experts say customers now
have the upper hand. And even some who don't explicitly ask for a
discount or price-match are pressing for better deals.

Jill duPont the owner of a small women's clothing and accessories
boutique called Out of the Box in Greenwich, Conn., said she's felt
some pressure to mark her prices down to be competitive with others.

"Customers aren't shy about telling us 'what a good price' they found
somewhere else," she said.

For some retailers, desperation is setting in. The new year brings new
inventory, so retailers typically try to clear out the old stock by
year's end. Stores are increasingly willing to do whatever they can to
get rid of merchandise — even offering discounts on the spot.

Erica Pearson, a 31-year-old Brooklyn, N.Y., resident, was debating
which pair of Camper shoes to buy at a Saga Shoes store in Manhattan
when a salesman offered her a deal if she bought both.

"The manager asked me what I wanted to pay for both of them," Pearson
said. She wound up getting about $40 off the total and paying no sales
tax.

At cosmetics counters, the situation varies, said Ehtisham Khan, who
asked that the major retailer where he works in San Francisco not be
named. The biggest-name vendors aren't bargaining; some aren't even
offering specials for big spenders. But smaller makeup and perfume
companies are piling on the freebies, he said, and it's driving sales.

"You give them an extra travel size or a couple fragrance samples, and
they'll buy an extra item rather than wait until later," he said.

Of course, not every retailer is willing to haggle.

Adam Lippes, the owner of a two-store high-end contemporary clothing
chain called ADAM, said he's offering bigger sales this year at his
location in Manhattan's trendy Meatpacking district to cater to more
budget-conscious shoppers. But he has had to retrain his sales staff
to explain to shoppers why a garment shouldn't be sold for still
less.

"The sales staff has to understand the clothes," he said. "It's more
work."

He recently talked a customer out of demanding $200 off a $450 dress
that was already discounted 25 percent by explaining that it was made
with high-quality Italian fabric and manufactured in New York.

Other retailers are giving consumers more wiggle room for returns
instead of haggling over prices.

Even Circuit City Inc., which has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
protection, has extended its holiday return deadline to Jan. 31, said
spokesman Jim Babb. The chain previously required items like cameras
and computers to be returned by Jan. 8 and others by Jan. 25.

If the International Council of Shopping Centers' prediction for this
season's sales comes true, it would be the weakest season since the
index of same-store sales started in 1969. The group expects same-
store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year, to be down 1
percent in November and December — maybe more — compared with last
year.

Even massive discounts on Black Friday — the day after Thanksgiving,
historically the point when retailers began to turn a profit — didn't
do much to help boost sales.

"Retailers have pulled every single trick out of their quiver of
arrows that has worked in the past and what they're seeing this year
is that it's just not working," said Hoch, the Wharton expert.

DuPont said her normal return policy "became history" about a month
ago after her customers begged to be able to return their normally
nonreturnable sale purchases after Christmas.

"We caved in, reluctant to turn away business," she said. "We're not
looking forward to what Dec. 26 brings."

___

AP Business Writer Laura Impellizzeri in San Francisco contributed to
this report.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 2008-12-22, Leon wrote:
Who is MSC?

Which newsgroup are you following this in? I thought that
everyone in rec.crafts.metalworking knew MSC. Not as sure about
rec.woodworking, however.

Check out:

http://www.mscdirect.com

and register to get their catalog "The Big Book" -- Over 4000 pages of
tools -- recently split into two volumes for easier access (less loss of
circulation while one is in your lap. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Dec 21, 10:22 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Since we are in the last week before Christmas, I was wondering if
there were any GOOD sales for the metal or wood workshop?

Lee Valley has free shipping again, Dec 23 - Jan 4

Okay so it's not huge, but LV + sale = good

-Kevin