Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Living the old fashioned way

The modern way of making a living is financial chicanery and using
borrowed money in a myriad of very creative ways.

The old fashioned way of making one's living was "making stuff to
sell".

The credit crisis means that borrowed money will be a lot less
available. For now to the consumer, but later to the government as
well.

I expect that the old way will return back, which means, surprise
surprise, a bigger emphasis on "manufacturing" and likely "metalworking".

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26897" wrote in message
The modern way of making a living is financial chicanery and using
borrowed money in a myriad of very creative ways.

The old fashioned way of making one's living was "making stuff to
sell".

The credit crisis means that borrowed money will be a lot less
available. For now to the consumer, but later to the government as
well.

I expect that the old way will return back, which means, surprise
surprise, a bigger emphasis on "manufacturing" and likely "metalworking".

Yeah, but it probably will mean whacking a piece of copper on a stone,
hitting it with another stone...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-16, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Ignoramus26897" wrote in message
The modern way of making a living is financial chicanery and using
borrowed money in a myriad of very creative ways.

The old fashioned way of making one's living was "making stuff to
sell".

The credit crisis means that borrowed money will be a lot less
available. For now to the consumer, but later to the government as
well.

I expect that the old way will return back, which means, surprise
surprise, a bigger emphasis on "manufacturing" and likely "metalworking".

Yeah, but it probably will mean whacking a piece of copper on a stone,
hitting it with another stone...

Maybe "hitting it with remnants of CNC machinery". ;-)

Or replacing coal and gas forges with "stock certificate forges"
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Ignoramus26897" wrote in message
The modern way of making a living is financial chicanery and using
borrowed money in a myriad of very creative ways.

The old fashioned way of making one's living was "making stuff to
sell".

The credit crisis means that borrowed money will be a lot less
available. For now to the consumer, but later to the government as
well.

I expect that the old way will return back, which means, surprise
surprise, a bigger emphasis on "manufacturing" and likely "metalworking".

Yeah, but it probably will mean whacking a piece of copper on a stone,
hitting it with another stone...

--
Ed Huntress

YOU'VE got copper? You lucky, lucky *******!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26897 wrote:
Or replacing coal and gas forges with "stock certificate forges"

Hang on to that worthless paper. In 50 years you can open an antique
store specializing in old stock certificates from the Great Crash of '08!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-16, Jon Anderson wrote:
Ignoramus26897 wrote:
Or replacing coal and gas forges with "stock certificate forges"

Hang on to that worthless paper. In 50 years you can open an antique
store specializing in old stock certificates from the Great Crash of '08!

I would have to burn a part of them to survive for 50 years.

At least I have an anvil to pound on:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc/Anvil/02-Set-Up/

(weight is 340 lbs)

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 16, 3:26*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Ignoramus26897" wrote in message
The modern way of making a living is financial chicanery and using
borrowed money in a myriad of very creative ways.

The old fashioned way of making one's living was "making stuff to
sell".

The credit crisis means that borrowed money will be a lot less
available. For now to the consumer, but later to the government as
well.

I expect that the old way will return back, which means, surprise
surprise, a bigger emphasis on "manufacturing" and likely "metalworking".

Yeah, but it probably will mean whacking a piece of copper on a stone,
hitting it with another stone...

--
Ed Huntress

YOU'VE got copper? *You lucky, lucky *******!

Like you were going to make copper wire brushes...

I wonder what that would be like? Probably wouldn't be good for a damn
thing, though.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 16, 3:43*pm, wrote:
On Dec 16, 3:26*pm, "Buerste" wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Ignoramus26897" wrote in message
The modern way of making a living is financial chicanery and using
borrowed money in a myriad of very creative ways.

The old fashioned way of making one's living was "making stuff to
sell".

The credit crisis means that borrowed money will be a lot less
available. For now to the consumer, but later to the government as
well.

I expect that the old way will return back, which means, surprise
surprise, a bigger emphasis on "manufacturing" and likely "metalworking".

Yeah, but it probably will mean whacking a piece of copper on a stone,
hitting it with another stone...

--well you never know!
Ed Huntress

YOU'VE got copper? *You lucky, lucky *******!

Like you were going to make copper wire brushes...

I wonder what that would be like? Probably wouldn't be good for a damn
thing, though.

Dave- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

Death or rapture, I don't really care. I'm covered. The darkest thing on
the horizon is the future, but each generation said that.

Steve

Yeah, and one of them is going to be right - some day...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Ignoramus26897" wrote in message
The modern way of making a living is financial chicanery and using
borrowed money in a myriad of very creative ways.

The old fashioned way of making one's living was "making stuff to
sell".

The credit crisis means that borrowed money will be a lot less
available. For now to the consumer, but later to the government as
well.

I expect that the old way will return back, which means, surprise
surprise, a bigger emphasis on "manufacturing" and likely
"metalworking".

Yeah, but it probably will mean whacking a piece of copper on a stone,
hitting it with another stone...

--
Ed Huntress

YOU'VE got copper? You lucky, lucky *******!

Luck has nothing to do with it. Digging it out of the ground is hard work,
using this wooden stick.

It's a long way before we get back to the industrial age. 'Got any spear
points you'd like to trade? I can throw in a couple of poodle skins.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26897" wrote in message
The modern way of making a living is financial chicanery and using
borrowed money in a myriad of very creative ways.

The old fashioned way of making one's living was "making stuff to
sell".

The credit crisis means that borrowed money will be a lot less
available. For now to the consumer, but later to the government as
well.

I expect that the old way will return back, which means, surprise
surprise, a bigger emphasis on "manufacturing" and likely "metalworking".

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

It's sad, Iggy. I'm saying things to my kids and grandkids my dad said to
me.

Music? You call that MUSIC?

Will you PLEASE turn down that noise?

and on and on

And some things that had to do with old sayings that really meant a lot and
were relevant to life.

Ah, what's the matter with kids these days? (from Bye Bye Birdie, a
Broadway play)

But as descriptive now as when it was written.

We're bridging the generations. We're as afraid for our kids futures as our
dads were about theirs, and grandpas about our dads.

But some of this stuff today is just plain toxic and cancerous. It will do
the society nothing but destruction. I've quit trying to change the world,
just be a good guy when given the chance, help people when given the chance,
and try to maintain my own little fishbowl of a universe that I CAN control.
Outside that, it's just as big an exercise in frustration as it ever was,
and the stress will get you if some little gangbanger don't get you first.

Yes, it is sad, though, compared to what it could be. I'm not talking about
a Utopian liberal society, but if we just went back to some of the basics we
have given up or away.

Like the Constitution. And honesty. And, and, and .......... you get the
idea.

Death or rapture, I don't really care. I'm covered. The darkest thing on
the horizon is the future, but each generation said that.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26897 wrote:
At least I have an anvil to pound on:

Yeah, I saw those pics. I've got an anvil too. But... I've got Small
Anvil Syndrome after seeing yours....

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26897 wrote:

At least I have an anvil to pound on:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc/Anvil/02-Set-Up/

(weight is 340 lbs)

You may have a big anvil but I have a big deck.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26897 wrote:
The modern way of making a living is financial chicanery and using
borrowed money in a myriad of very creative ways.

Well, actually, there are enough references to
such chicanery in the bible, so it isn't ALL that new!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:27:48 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

Death or rapture, I don't really care. I'm covered.

A good position.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 16, 5:11*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Buerste" wrote in message

YOU'VE got copper? *You lucky, lucky *******!

Luck has nothing to do with it. Digging it out of the ground is hard work,
using this wooden stick.

It's a long way before we get back to the industrial age. 'Got any spear
points you'd like to trade? I can throw in a couple of poodle skins.

--
Ed Huntress

I want to see what clever people can make out of scrapped cars and
appliances.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

YOU'VE got copper? You lucky, lucky *******!

Luck has nothing to do with it. Digging it out of the ground is hard work,
using this wooden stick.

It's a long way before we get back to the industrial age. 'Got any spear
points you'd like to trade? I can throw in a couple of poodle skins.

--
Ed Huntress

I want to see what clever people can make out of scrapped cars and
appliances.

They made a movie out of that. It was called "Mad Max." g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 17, 12:11*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Dec 16, 5:11 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

It's a long way before we get back to the industrial age. 'Got any spear
points you'd like to trade? I can throw in a couple of poodle skins.
Ed Huntress

I want to see what clever people can make out of scrapped cars and
appliances.

They made a movie out of that. It was called "Mad Max." g
Ed Huntress

I suspect that left on their own, most people would soon be living
more like "Braveheart"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Ignoramus26897 wrote:
At least I have an anvil to pound on:

Yeah, I saw those pics. I've got an anvil too. But... I've got Small Anvil
Syndrome after seeing yours....

Jon

Jon, I think the accepted term is "anvil envy".

Flash

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26897 wrote:
At least I have an anvil to pound on:

Yeah, I saw those pics. I've got an anvil too. But... I've got Small Anvil
Syndrome after seeing yours....

Jon

Jon, I think the accepted term is "anvil envy".

AKA 'Coyote Syndrome'. Advanced cases involve tiny umbrellas.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Flash wrote:
Jon, I think the accepted term is "anvil envy"

Suffering from that too, but my anvil really is smaller.... G or,
rather...... :-[

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26897" wrote in message

I expect that the old way will return back, which means, surprise
surprise, a bigger emphasis on "manufacturing" and likely "metalworking".

I'll have to see if I can find my old Foxfire (5?)book on metal working,
gunmaking, etc. If I remember correctly it had info on making gun barrels
hammering flat steel around a metal rod. Sounds like a good project for
your anvil! :-) Start saving you urine, they use stale urine in making the
gunpowder.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-18, RogerN wrote:

"Ignoramus26897" wrote in message

I expect that the old way will return back, which means, surprise
surprise, a bigger emphasis on "manufacturing" and likely "metalworking".

I'll have to see if I can find my old Foxfire (5?)book on metal working,
gunmaking, etc. If I remember correctly it had info on making gun barrels
hammering flat steel around a metal rod. Sounds like a good project for
your anvil! :-) Start saving you urine, they use stale urine in making the
gunpowder.

OK, no more bathroom trips for me.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 18, 8:08*am, Ignoramus17646 ignoramus17...@NOSPAM.
On 2008-12-18, RogerN wrote
...Start saving you urine, they use stale urine in making the
gunpowder.

OK, no more bathroom trips for me.

Could be worse. Roman laundry practice:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...lean_your.html

Soap was one of the few ideas my Northern European ancesters
contributed to civilization:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap

Gaul is France.

Ave atque vale
Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26897 wrote:
At least I have an anvil to pound on:

Jon, *I think the accepted term is "anvil envy".
Flash

http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/T...24365567940546

It's good points are that it is portable and it has (almost) my name
on it, which is how I talked a friend's father into giving it to me.
The stamp is "WILKIN" + separate, lighter "son" with no evidence of a
J.

What use would a smith have for an 0-1-8 (36 Lb?) anvil, and what
degree of pounding or maximum hammer weight is reasonable? The top
plate appears to be one piece and isn't very hard. I flycut most of
the dings off before surface grinding it.

It's large enough for me, I build up freehand steel shapes by arc
welding and don't have a safe / legal place to operate a forge.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:35:04 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

"Ignoramus26897" wrote in message

I expect that the old way will return back, which means, surprise
surprise, a bigger emphasis on "manufacturing" and likely "metalworking".

I'll have to see if I can find my old Foxfire (5?)book on metal working,
gunmaking, etc. If I remember correctly it had info on making gun barrels
hammering flat steel around a metal rod. Sounds like a good project for
your anvil! :-) Start saving you urine, they use stale urine in making the
gunpowder.

RogerN

Neat series of books (Foxfire), especially like the earlier
ones. I just took a quick look and number 5 is indeed the
one with that info. There method of rifling was fascinating
too.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old fashioned screws Jonathan UK diy 12 February 11th 08 09:32 PM
Good old-fashioned screw John UK diy 13 November 27th 07 05:26 PM
Old-fashioned asphalt werwer Home Repair 0 August 30th 07 11:08 PM
see the impossible man living without leg and hands living with only his body q Home Repair 5 March 22nd 07 02:58 AM
Clock making the old fashioned way Tom Del Rosso Metalworking 6 November 24th 03 06:44 PM