Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Living the old fashioned way

On Dec 17, 10:59*pm, "Flash" wrote:
"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Ignoramus26897 wrote:
At least I have an anvil to pound on:

Jon, *I think the accepted term is "anvil envy".
Flash

http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/T...24365567940546

It's good points are that it is portable and it has (almost) my name
on it, which is how I talked a friend's father into giving it to me.
The stamp is "WILKIN" + separate, lighter "son" with no evidence of a
J.

What use would a smith have for an 0-1-8 (36 Lb?) anvil, and what
degree of pounding or maximum hammer weight is reasonable? The top
plate appears to be one piece and isn't very hard. I flycut most of
the dings off before surface grinding it.

It's large enough for me, I build up freehand steel shapes by arc
welding and don't have a safe / legal place to operate a forge.

Jim Wilkins