Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Name of a spring??

Awl --

It looks, in principle, like a "single wire hose clamp", with two "ears" you
squeeze with a pliers -- essentially a one-loop torsion spring.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000078342284
is an example.

But, the one I'm looking for (I've seen'em) has multiple turns, for
retaining shafts, altho not in motors. You've seen a type used on barballs,
as well.
They grab very well, without requiring the shaft to be grooved, but can be
easily released.

I'm looking for small ones, to retain 1/2" to 5/8" rod sticking out of 2"
tube.

What are they called? Can't find them in msc, McM, Spaenauer, Century or
Lee spring, etc.

Appreciate any leads, clues.

--

Mr. PV'd

Hey, Big Boy, is that a wad (of cash) in yer pocket, or are you just
glad to see me??

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 12:11*pm, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
Awl --

It looks, in principle, like a "single wire hose clamp", with two "ears" you
squeeze with a pliers -- essentially a one-loop torsion spring.http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000078342284
is an example.

But, the one I'm looking for (I've seen'em) has multiple turns, for
retaining shafts, altho not in motors. *You've seen a type used on barballs,
as well.
They grab very well, without requiring the shaft to be grooved, but can be
easily released.

I'm looking for small ones, to retain 1/2" to 5/8" rod sticking out of 2"
tube.

What are they called? *Can't find them in msc, McM, Spaenauer, Century or
Lee spring, etc.

Appreciate any leads, clues.

Try these search terms in McMaster Carr and see if they come close
"Split Ring", "Cotter Ring". The Cotter Rings are intended to have a
hole for an anchor. Split Rings are pretty much the same thing as a
key ring.

Tim.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 10:11*am, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
[...]

I'd be inclined to call them spring retaining clips or something like
that. They're springy, but not springs. I know what you're speaking
of. I don't think I've even seen them in the oddball hardware dept.
of the best hardware store in town. Let us know if you find them.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Possibly a "spring clutch"
Used to drive a shaft only in one direction
Copy machines, printers, etc is where I have seen them.

Howard Garner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Howard R Garner wrote:

Possibly a "spring clutch"
Used to drive a shaft only in one direction
Copy machines, printers, etc is where I have seen them.

And tension reels for counterbalancing loads for operator comfort.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jeff" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:11:30 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Awl --

It looks, in principle, like a "single wire hose clamp", with two "ears"
you
squeeze with a pliers -- essentially a one-loop torsion spring.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000078342284
is an example.

But, the one I'm looking for (I've seen'em) has multiple turns, for
retaining shafts, altho not in motors. You've seen a type used on
barballs,
as well.
They grab very well, without requiring the shaft to be grooved, but can be
easily released.

I'm looking for small ones, to retain 1/2" to 5/8" rod sticking out of 2"
tube.

What are they called? Can't find them in msc, McM, Spaenauer, Century or
Lee spring, etc.

Appreciate any leads, clues.

I beleive that the item at the bottom left of this page is what your
after.

http://www.norma.de/docs/index.aspx?...30597&m4=30665

Yes, very close!
Except I think this is probably for hose, don't know how well it would grab
on a bare aluminum shaft. It's def'ly a lead, tho. Now to find out what
it's called in English.....
--

Mr. PV'd

Hey, Big Boy, is that a wad (of cash) in yer pocket, or are you just
glad to see me??

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Proctologically Violated©®"
was looking for a spring...

I'm not sure I've ever heard a specific name for that device except
"retainer spring" or "retainer clip".

It's nothing but a torsion spring with looped ends, and the coil sized
to fit snug on a certain size rod.

You can work backwards. McMaster lists their torsion springs by the
largest rod they can work on without interference. Their springs
don't have looped ends, but a pencil torch, needle-noses, and a quick
quench could solve that.

Pick one just a tad too small for the rod/tube/shaft you're working
with.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

You can work backwards. McMaster lists their torsion springs by the
largest rod they can work on without interference. Their springs
don't have looped ends, but a pencil torch, needle-noses, and a quick
quench could solve that.

McMaster also makes special order springs.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Awl --

It looks, in principle, like a "single wire hose clamp", with two "ears"
you squeeze with a pliers -- essentially a one-loop torsion spring.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000078342284
is an example.

But, the one I'm looking for (I've seen'em) has multiple turns, for
retaining shafts, altho not in motors. You've seen a type used on
barballs, as well.
They grab very well, without requiring the shaft to be grooved, but can be
easily released.

I'm looking for small ones, to retain 1/2" to 5/8" rod sticking out of 2"
tube.

What are they called? Can't find them in msc, McM, Spaenauer, Century or
Lee spring, etc.

Appreciate any leads, clues.

Torsion spring clamps?

http://www.hogparts.co.uk/catalog/1224/pg_0001.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You have not stated the application, but if you expect to couple torque, be
advised that they are unidirectional and limited in force to the deformation
force of the spring wire used.
Steve

[...]

Smelly water in underground spring-fed spring box, cistern [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 7th 08 04:32 PM
Is it spring now? JesseNewY Home Repair 1 March 10th 07 03:52 PM
Spring! George Woodturning 12 April 2nd 06 12:30 AM
Spring Name? Tim Wescott Metalworking 3 July 28th 05 08:19 PM
Spring George Woodturning 8 April 1st 05 12:28 AM