Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Shoppa Tim Shoppa is offline

Default Name of a spring??

On Dec 12, 12:11*pm, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
Awl --

It looks, in principle, like a "single wire hose clamp", with two "ears" you
squeeze with a pliers -- essentially a one-loop torsion spring.http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000078342284
is an example.

But, the one I'm looking for (I've seen'em) has multiple turns, for
retaining shafts, altho not in motors. *You've seen a type used on barballs,
as well.
They grab very well, without requiring the shaft to be grooved, but can be
easily released.

I'm looking for small ones, to retain 1/2" to 5/8" rod sticking out of 2"
tube.

What are they called? *Can't find them in msc, McM, Spaenauer, Century or
Lee spring, etc.

Appreciate any leads, clues.

Try these search terms in McMaster Carr and see if they come close
"Split Ring", "Cotter Ring". The Cotter Rings are intended to have a
hole for an anchor. Split Rings are pretty much the same thing as a
key ring.

Tim.