Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Spring!

The wands on the south side of the drive, which we use for reference when
backing out, fell to the ground on Monday. I pulled all but one on the
north side yesterday, as well. One's still frozen in a foot or so.

But the real sign isn't the snow snakes, or even the revealed woodpile with
new turnings beckoning, it's CRANES! They were whooping it up as the dog
and I took out the trash this morning. The melody may not be the top of
anyone's hit parade, but a welcome sign.

Sending in entry fees and jury photos for summer shows, and expect to order
seeds at any time. Been turning down corners on seed catalogs since
January. It's a wonderful time of year.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Yea, the turkey vultures and swallows are back (supposed to mean that
the last hard frosts are gone), the green frogs are very loud, and the
pussy willows are past the fuzzy stage. Of course the turners are all
too busy with other things to do much posting. The fresh cut wood has
lots of water in it, and the air smells alive. The hay fever is just
starting to rise also. I do love the spring.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:09:11 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

The wands on the south side of the drive, which we use for reference when
backing out, fell to the ground on Monday. I pulled all but one on the
north side yesterday, as well. One's still frozen in a foot or so.

But the real sign isn't the snow snakes, or even the revealed woodpile with
new turnings beckoning, it's CRANES! They were whooping it up as the dog
and I took out the trash this morning. The melody may not be the top of
anyone's hit parade, but a welcome sign.

Sending in entry fees and jury photos for summer shows, and expect to order
seeds at any time. Been turning down corners on seed catalogs since
January. It's a wonderful time of year.

We don't have snow at home here in Central CA, but everything is starting to
bloom and the "snowpack" is 150% of normal... (for those in wetter states,
snowpack is what melts during warmer months to provide water)

I've always thought that New Year's is wasted on Jan. 1st... who wants to think
about starting a year in the middle of winter?

It should be on the 1st day of spring, IMHO....
When everything is being "reborn" or coming back from being dormant.. a fresh
start!!

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 29 Mar 2006 07:10:49 -0800, "robo hippy" wrote:

Yea, the turkey vultures and swallows are back (supposed to mean that
the last hard frosts are gone), the green frogs are very loud, and the
pussy willows are past the fuzzy stage. Of course the turners are all
too busy with other things to do much posting. The fresh cut wood has
lots of water in it, and the air smells alive. The hay fever is just
starting to rise also. I do love the spring.
robo hippy

Don't forget the sure sign of spring in OR, Reed...
the migration of tourists from CA wondering why they can't pump their own gas..
*g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Yea, I know, when I go to California, I am gas pump impaired.
Hey, I am going to be in your general neighborhood. On Mothersday
weedend, I will be at UC Davis for their Whole Earth Festival. Strange
show, an Ag college, and all of the food booths are vegetarian. I could
smell the cow barns, but no meat around.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

Yea, the turkey vultures and swallows are back (supposed to mean that
the last hard frosts are gone), the green frogs are very loud, and the
pussy willows are past the fuzzy stage. Of course the turners are all
too busy with other things to do much posting. The fresh cut wood has
lots of water in it, and the air smells alive. The hay fever is just
starting to rise also. I do love the spring.
robo hippy

Don't forget the sure sign of spring in OR, Reed...
the migration of tourists from CA wondering why they can't pump their
own gas.. *g*

Which topic is usually good for a three month Flamorama on any of the
Oregon groups. If you ever get bored, ask on pdx.general why you can't
pump your own gas. )
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

wrote:

Yea, the turkey vultures and swallows are back (supposed to mean that
the last hard frosts are gone), the green frogs are very loud, and the
pussy willows are past the fuzzy stage. Of course the turners are all
too busy with other things to do much posting. The fresh cut wood has
lots of water in it, and the air smells alive. The hay fever is just
starting to rise also. I do love the spring.
robo hippy

Don't forget the sure sign of spring in OR, Reed...
the migration of tourists from CA wondering why they can't pump their
own gas.. *g*

Which topic is usually good for a three month Flamorama on any of the
Oregon groups. If you ever get bored, ask on pdx.general why you can't
pump your own gas. )

They told me that it was a law from the state fire marshall, because OR is the
last state without the EPA gas pumps..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 30 Mar 2006 12:13:44 -0800, "robo hippy" wrote:

Yea, I know, when I go to California, I am gas pump impaired.
Hey, I am going to be in your general neighborhood. On Mothersday
weedend, I will be at UC Davis for their Whole Earth Festival. Strange
show, an Ag college, and all of the food booths are vegetarian. I could
smell the cow barns, but no meat around.
robo hippy

Cool.. maybe we can gat together this time!

UC Davis is a cool place.. One of the few colleges that has a brewery and a
brewmasters program.. *g*

Will you have a booth there?
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Yes, I will have a booth. Funny thing about last years show, it was my
best ever, with my best single day sales on Mother's Day in the rain.
Not a few sprinkles, but serious rain for almost all of the day. I
thought that people in California didn't come out in the rain.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

[...]

WOW, That's one I haven't heard yet!! You really need to take that one to
pdx.general. Mention New Jersey while you're at it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 06:23:19 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Which topic is usually good for a three month Flamorama on any of the
Oregon groups. If you ever get bored, ask on pdx.general why you can't
pump your own gas. )

They told me that it was a law from the state fire marshall, because
OR is the last state without the EPA gas pumps..

WOW, That's one I haven't heard yet!! You really need to take that one to
pdx.general. Mention New Jersey while you're at it.

I was told that they went to the "non evaporative" system recently.. dunno if
that's true..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 31 Mar 2006 10:44:18 -0800, "robo hippy" wrote:

Yes, I will have a booth. Funny thing about last years show, it was my
best ever, with my best single day sales on Mother's Day in the rain.
Not a few sprinkles, but serious rain for almost all of the day. I
thought that people in California didn't come out in the rain.
robo hippy

Cool.. send me an email with details and we'll be there... my brother lives in
Rocklin, so we'll bother him, too.... *g*
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

Which topic is usually good for a three month Flamorama on any of
the Oregon groups. If you ever get bored, ask on pdx.general why you
can't pump your own gas. )

They told me that it was a law from the state fire marshall, because
OR is the last state without the EPA gas pumps..

WOW, That's one I haven't heard yet!! You really need to take that one
to pdx.general. Mention New Jersey while you're at it.

I was told that they went to the "non evaporative" system recently..
dunno if that's true..

Sounds like a Shuck-N-Jive. There's a Lot of that around this issue.

Last time I went up to Seattle I almost dozed off while waiting for the
invisible pump jockey. Attended pumps would have to be voted out here and
the unofficial state motto is "If your name is No, I voted for you."