Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spring Constant

Hello,

Cannot understand Carr Mc Master 'spring constants' in their spring
section.

They state 'the spring constant is the number of pounds force required
to compress
the spring one inch'

The spring constants being given seem to be far too large.
A long 36 inch spring being made out of 0.013 inch wire has a spring
constant
of 4.8. ie it takes 4.8 pounds to compress the spring one inch.

Where am I going wrong.

TIA.

Jack

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Where am I going wrong.

Skipping, or sleeping through, high school physics?

Try googling "Hooke's Law" or "F = -kx".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip)it takes 4.8 pounds to compress the
spring one inch. Where am I going wrong.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't see anything wrong with a spring constant of about 5 lb/in on a
spring like that. We're talking about a coil spring in compression or
tension, right? You don't state the diameter of the coil, or the turn
spacing, but it seems reasonable to me that if you compress a spring about
3% of its length, you might expect to exert about 5 lb.

TIA.

Jack

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

You neglected to say that the spring is question has an
OD of .094"

And this section of the catalog is for continous length which states:

Springs have open ends and can be cut to the length you need. Great for
manufacturing, utility, and maintenance jobs. To determine the length
(in inches) to which to cut your spring, take the spring constant and
divide it by the number of coils per inch. Then take this value and
divide it by your desired spring rate in lbs./inch.

From what I can tell, this means that the spring constant is NOT the K
value from your textbook but the spring value for ONE turn. DIVIDE by
the number of turns to get the spring constant from the textbook.

Don't complain to me, I just read the fine print!!!

wrote:
Hello,

Cannot understand Carr Mc Master 'spring constants' in their spring
section.

They state 'the spring constant is the number of pounds force required
to compress
the spring one inch'

The spring constants being given seem to be far too large.
A long 36 inch spring being made out of 0.013 inch wire has a spring
constant
of 4.8. ie it takes 4.8 pounds to compress the spring one inch.

Where am I going wrong.

TIA.

Jack

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

Hooke's Law is also only valid within the elastic limit of the spring.
If you take a small spring and stretch it an inch, it will probably
never recover.
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RoyJ wrote:
You neglected to say that the spring is question has an
OD of .094"

And this section of the catalog is for continous length which states:

Springs have open ends and can be cut to the length you need. Great for
manufacturing, utility, and maintenance jobs. To determine the length
(in inches) to which to cut your spring, take the spring constant and
divide it by the number of coils per inch. Then take this value and
divide it by your desired spring rate in lbs./inch.

From what I can tell, this means that the spring constant is NOT the K
value from your textbook but the spring value for ONE turn. DIVIDE by
the number of turns to get the spring constant from the textbook.

Don't complain to me, I just read the fine print!!!

Thanks for that, I am inclined to say that they are using the term
"Spring Constant"
in a not so very scientifically correct manner :-|

The spring is no good for me as it has too many turns per inch.

Cheers

wrote:
Hello,

Cannot understand Carr Mc Master 'spring constants' in their spring
section.

They state 'the spring constant is the number of pounds force required
to compress
the spring one inch'

The spring constants being given seem to be far too large.
A long 36 inch spring being made out of 0.013 inch wire has a spring
constant
of 4.8. ie it takes 4.8 pounds to compress the spring one inch.

Where am I going wrong.

TIA.

Jack

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

ff wrote:

A coil spring is really a torsion spring formed in a spiral. When
compressed or extended beyond it's rest length the wire is being
twisted, not bending.

Hey, thanks Fred! I never stopped to think about coil springs working
that way, I just stopped at "Pull it and it stretches, pull it twice as
hard and it stretches twice as far."

That hit me about the same way as the first time someone pointed out to
me that the "working fluid" in my car's engine isn't gasoline, it's air.
The gasoline just heats it and makes it expand.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Ned Simmons" wrote: And to carry this a bit further, the wire in a typical
torsion spring is primarily subject to bending, i.e., it's a coiled up
beam.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Let's unscramble this a little. A "torsion spring" is an elastic bar
subject to twisting--not bending. A "coil spring" is a torsion spring that
has been wound into a helix for compactness. A "leaf spring" is a beam in
bending.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Ned Simmons" wrote: And to carry this a bit further, the wire in a typical
torsion spring is primarily subject to bending, i.e., it's a coiled up
beam.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Let's unscramble this a little. A "torsion spring" is an elastic bar
subject to twisting--not bending. A "coil spring" is a torsion spring that
has been wound into a helix for compactness. A "leaf spring" is a beam in
bending.

Which means I suppose that a "clock spring" is just an extra long "leaf
spring"?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: Which means I suppose that a "clock spring" is just an
extra long "leaf spring"?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A "clock spring" is a spring that drives a clock. It so happens that all
clock springs ARE "leaf springs." (As far as I know.) ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

Ned Simmons wrote:

A torsion *bar* is an elastic bar subject to twisting, a torsion
*spring* is a helical beam - like this...
http://www.sterlingspring.com/torsion_springs.html

Ned Simmons

[Middle English torcion, wringing pain in the bowels, from Old French
torsion, from Late Latin torsiĆ?, torsiĆ?n-, a wringing pain, variant of
Latin tortiĆ?, from tortus, past particple of torquēre, to twist. See
torsade
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=1555&dekey=T0281500&curtab=1 555_1.]

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;...bar&sbid=lc03b

A matter of semantics [The meaning or the interpretation of a word,
sentence, or other language form: We're basically agreed; let's not
quibble over semantics.]

A* torsion bar* is a *spring*

Fred
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
Ned Simmons wrote:

A torsion *bar* is an elastic bar subject to twisting, a torsion
*spring* is a helical beam - like this...
http://www.sterlingspring.com/torsion_springs.html

A matter of semantics [The meaning or the interpretation of a word,
sentence, or other language form: We're basically agreed; let's not
quibble over semantics.]

I wasn't quibbling over semantics I was nitpicking about technical
jargon g.

A* torsion bar* is a *spring*

Agreed, but a torsion bar is not what's typically meant by the term
"torsion spring".

Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

Ned Simmons wrote:

Agreed, but a torsion bar is not what's typically meant by the term
"torsion spring".

Ned Simmons

That's why we *drive* on a *parkway* and *park* on a *driveway*.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"ff" wrote: That's why we *drive* on a *parkway* and *park* on a
*driveway*.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And send shipments by car, and cargo by ship.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"ff" wrote: That's why we *drive* on a *parkway* and *park* on a
*driveway*.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And send shipments by car, and cargo by ship.

Those are examples of a criss-crossed sentence structure called
"chiasmus", where the order of words (or parts of words) are reversed
with good effect.

I've always liked this one by Churchill, which IIRC he used when an
early allied battle victory made it appear that the Nazi army wasn't
invincible after all.

"Now this is not the end.
It is not even the beginning of the end.
But it is, perhaps,
the end of the beginning."

But my all time favorite is attributed to Dorothy Parker (1893 - 1967)
who said,

"I've been too ****ing busy and vise versa."

More at:

http://www.chiasmus.com/

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:14:13 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Jeff
Wisnia quickly quoth:

But my all time favorite is attributed to Dorothy Parker (1893 - 1967)
who said,

"I've been too ****ing busy and vise versa."

I love it!

I have a button which helps make me popular with the ladies.
It says "I snatch kisses, and vise versa."

--
Impeach 'em ALL!
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming