Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Default Spring Constant

ff wrote:

A coil spring is really a torsion spring formed in a spiral. When
compressed or extended beyond it's rest length the wire is being
twisted, not bending.

Hey, thanks Fred! I never stopped to think about coil springs working
that way, I just stopped at "Pull it and it stretches, pull it twice as
hard and it stretches twice as far."

That hit me about the same way as the first time someone pointed out to
me that the "working fluid" in my car's engine isn't gasoline, it's air.
The gasoline just heats it and makes it expand.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)